Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies for my inappropriate joking here.
Just thought it would be funny to try and help to summon Mr. Dutton using the chant from Call of Cthulhu:
The short story asserts the premise that, while currently trapped, Cthulhu will eventually return. His worshippers chant "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" ("In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.")
https://youtu.be/t1RTgznup5c

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

I thought it was Welsh! But Google tells me it’s a phrase in a language made up by an author called A.P.Lovecraft. A bit like Klingon but without the warmth and charm. Not sure why it’s relevant here though.
Because @steelydave used an image of Cthulhu awaking in his post.

You mean these guys....

Attachments

• IMG_20220612_070547497_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220612_070547497_HDR.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 22
There was a Chicago group called H P Lovecraft and an excellent CD of their two studio albums. Maybe steelydave means to hint DV is releasing them next.....
Thanks Jefe1,
Glad you mentioned that group. I was thinking of that also. Didn't know they were from Chicago.
Back in the day, I had one of their LP's.

Last edited:
I'm frankly surprised in a forum full of nerds how many people didn't get it. I think it might be a generational thing - even though Lovecraft predates all of us, he's perhaps more in popular culture today.

Surprises me, too. That particular rendition of Cthulhu is too comic-book anthropomorphic for my taste, but instantly recognizable to any H.P. Lovecraft fan (been reading his stories since the early sixties.) I never expected HPL's obscure pulp masterpieces to become so embedded and prevalent in popular cinema and written horror.

Back