DV + Arista. The perfect fit?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
I was taking a look through some of my CD-4 records today and a realized that Arista's cache of quad releases would really be a perfect fit for DV.

They had a lot a solo vocalists that would be great additions to their SACD quad rereleases:
Barry Manilow
Melissa Manchester
Eric Carmen
Tony Orlando & Dawn
Soundtrack and cast recordings of Funny Lady and Godspell
even their "harder" Rock selection that was released in quad wasn't all that heavy....The Outlaws.
And let's not forget the Breaker Brothers.

Not a huge selection, but I think it would be enough to keep us satisfied for a bit. :) Plus, I don't know about you, but my Arista CD-4's don't decode as well as some others.

The not-so-good part of this equation is that Arista is now owned by Sony. :cautious: But on the plus side, DV has had a few Columbia (Sony) releases in the past like Art Garfunkel.

So who's with me on this? :LB

I was taking a look through some of my CD-4 records today and a realized that Arista's cache of quad releases would really be a perfect fit for DV.

They had a lot a solo vocalists that would be great additions to their SACD quad rereleases:
Barry Manilow
Melissa Manchester
Eric Carmen
Tony Orlando & Dawn
even their "harder" Rock selection that was released in quad wasn't all that heavy....The Outlaws.

Not a huge selection, but I think it would be enough to keep us satisfied for a bit. :) Plus, I don't know about you, but my Arista CD-4's don't decode as well as some others.

The not-so-good part of this equation is that Arista is now owned by Sony. :cautious: But on the plus side, DV has had a few Columbia (Sony) releases in the past like Art Garfunkel.

This has already been discussed numerous times with a complete list of potential CD~4/Q8 Arista candidates listed on the Dutton Vocalion threads!

Example:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nnel-sacd-releases.22962/page-101#post-560852

Barry Manilow
Melissa Manchester
Eric Carmen
Tony Orlando & Dawn

hope so, that Brecker Brothers Quad is one of my all-time favourites! tbh urban legend was that the Arista Quad tapes were missing but a recent development has shown that at least one of them is safely held in Sony's vaults.. fingers crossed for the best possible outcome.. if anyone can do it, DV can 🤞

hope so, that Brecker Brothers Quad is one of my all-time favourites! tbh urban legend was that the Arista Quad tapes were missing but a recent development has shown that at least one of them is safely held in Sony's vaults.. fingers crossed for the best possible outcome.. if anyone can do it, DV can 🤞

Adam, so out of the 11 Arista QUAD Masters, only one survived? Are you at liberty to divulge which one it was?

One possibility would be to ultrasonically clean a CD-4 disc, play it with a modified (to be wide bandwidth) ELP Laser turntable and use a JVC CD4-50 CD-4 demod (for example) to retrieve the 4 channels.

Something similar was done to retrieve a (1970) classical recording (intended for surround sound release):
http://www.pspatialaudio.com/horenstein.htm

Kirk Bayne

One possibility would be to ultrasonically clean a CD-4 disc, play it with a modified (to be wide bandwidth) ELP Laser turntable and use a JVC CD4-50 CD-4 demod (for example) to retrieve the 4 channels.

Something similar was done to retrieve a (1970) classical recording (intended for surround sound release):

Kirk Bayne

Wow--I'd love to hear that one! (Do you know the date of this post, Kirk? I wonder if there's any hope that the rights issues referred to might be any closer to being resolved?)

I don't agree with the writer's opinion that placing the listener in the center of the orchestra produces a "silly" effect, and that "confining the rear channels to hall ambience" is to be preferred. But this is a historically significant and, by all accounts, exceptionally high-fidelity recording, and it would be great to hear.

Last edited:
Sometime in 2019, I just happened to find this web page, you could try contacting Richard Brice [creator of the Stereo Lab software and writer of the web page], he may be able to forward a request about the rights to the appropriate individual(s).

Kirk Bayne

Kirk Bayne
The flaw in that theory is that any flaws in the vinyl Ibubbles, etc.) that would be audible when played with a stylus would still affect playback with a laser turntable.

IIRC, the ELP laser playback system can be adjusted (a little) so that the laser (system) reflects off a different portion of the groove, also, the digitized CD-4 signal can be "fixed up" with various forms for digital signal processing (click/pop reduction before CD-4 demod) and wideband NR applied to the 4 channel output.

I'd be OK with a (DV) MCH SACD made from a CD-4 disc if that was the only way to get the surround mix (possibly a note on the packaging that that was what was done).

Kirk Bayne

I'd be skeptical of reports that the master tapes are missing, since Arista was part of BMG before Sony bought them out. My thoughts are that Sony may still have them. If that's the case, we can hope those tapes are in decent shape, and that DV would be interested in them.

IIRC, the ELP laser playback system can be adjusted (a little) so that the laser (system) reflects off a different portion of the groove, also, the digitized CD-4 signal can be "fixed up" with various forms for digital signal processing (click/pop reduction before CD-4 demod) and wideband NR applied to the 4 channel output.

I'd be OK with a (DV) MCH SACD made from a CD-4 disc if that was the only way to get the surround mix (possibly a note on the packaging that that was what was done).

Kirk Bayne
Well, they've done it with some SQ encoded discs, why not CD-4? They did a good job with the Grover Washington that I have. And, if that's all that's available......🤷‍♂️

What I'd like to know, in regards to the small Arista catalog; was anything else done? Surely they had plans to release more than 11 albums in Quad. Unsubstantiated rumours I've heard repeated is that there is an Arista in-store sampler, which even shows as having a catalog number of 8501-213 which features 1 or 2 Bay City Rollers songs. Now, to me that makes sense as BCR were some of, if not *the* biggest act (at the time) that Arista records had in their catalog. It would make perfect sense to release your top dog in Quad.

But that also begs the question: "What else have they got?" 😁 Let's get it out!!

Back