DVD-A conversion under $200.00

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish my center matched the corners a bit better. I have full size, w/12" drivers in the corner and the center only has twin 6". I've been wanting to build a center that matches the front that I built, but have not been able to find a matching crossover. I can't imagine myself reducing the size of the corners to match my center, so I think I'll leave it like it is. I still believe their is no substitute for large, full range speakers on all four corners, despite what size the center is. Back to the beer, LOL, is that Unibroue a Canadian lager?? I Will see if anyone here in the US supplies it. :D

Sounds interesting. I might give it a try as I am most of the way there now.

As far as the LFE goes I don't get it. I use it for music to fill in the low end. It sounds like low end bass not an earthquake. In fact since the largest driver in my main (and in fact all of my) speakers is 6.5 inches I need the sub to get that satisfied feeling when listening to music. For DVD-A's like "If I Could Only Remember My Name" I actually listen to DTS as I can't get a sub at all for the DVD-A stream and it sounds downright anemic when compared to the DTS. The DTS sounds far better and the bass is very clear and present, not boomy. So for me, anything without a .1 is a waste of time. And by the way.....Labatts Blue eh......give Unibroue a try.....now there's a beer.

You should get the same kick by having the bass recorded only on the 5.0 channels, and applying bass management to send it to the sub. One reason DVD-A vs DTS often sounds anemic is likely because a system has the -10dB PCM bug that affects *LFE SIGNAL ONLY*. Meaning, if the music had no music in the LFE channel (.1 channel) , and all sub output was due to bass management, there wouldn't be a problem...DTS and DVD-A sub output would be quite similar if not identical.

Although actually, if you literally can't get sub output *at all* with DVD-A there may be some more drastic problem with your setup. (Edit: and apparently there is)

Last edited:
I agree, the bass management is different. The Oppo for a DVD-A authoured as 5.0 does not have a sub channel whether you set the speakers to small or not. It is totally dead. DVD-A is the only format where this is the case.

So in effect, adding LFE to the mix benefits those whose setups can't do proper bass management of certain rare X.0 formats, while for the rest of us* it's a PITA! :mad:@:

The lack of bass redirection for 5.0 is a problem with your player's bass management. I presume you're doing BM in the player and passing output as analog to an AVR. I guarante you (as an Oppo970 owner) that if you passed DVD-A digitally via HDMI in your setup instead, the problem would go away. You would not only be able to get bass redirection from any DVD-A channel format, you'd also have a way to adjust for an LFE bug if there is one.

(*including those like me who have an Oppo970 but use the HDMI output).

Yeah, I have a dead DV45a - it doesn't work and it didn't do bass management properly (n)

Actually the 45a could do small channel -->sub bass redirection on at least some DVD-A 5.0 material -- I verified this using the one 5.0 PPCM track on the ELP 'Brain Salad Surgery' DVD-A. (Why there's one in 5.0, while the rest are 5.1, I do not know).

It could not do it for a 4.0 PPCM track on an EMI classical disc. It could do it for a 4.0 LPCM track on a different disc though!

IIRC, it couldn't do LFE-->large channel bass redirection at all.

My Samsung player does everything well, yet I am using external bass management that costs ten times what I payed for the player, but I'm an idiot :banana:
No, no, the word is connoisseur.:D

You should get the same kick by having the bass recorded only on the 5.0 channels, and applying bass management to send it to the sub. One reason DVD-A vs DTS often sounds anemic is likely because a system has the -10dB PCM bug that affects *LFE SIGNAL ONLY*. Meaning, if the music had no music in the LFE channel (.1 channel) , and all sub output was due to bass management, there wouldn't be a problem...DTS and DVD-A sub output would be quite similar if not identical.

Although actually, if you literally can't get sub output *at all* with DVD-A there may be some more drastic problem with your setup. (Edit: and apparently there is)

I have the bass boosted in the player by +10 DB. The only time it sounds anemeic ois when there is no sub. The rest of the time I can get it to wall and ceiling rattling levels if I so desire.

Like I aid before it's the player that is at fault for 5.0 DVD-A discs. Those are the only issues.

The lack of bass redirection for 5.0 is a problem with your player's bass management. I presume you're doing BM in the player and passing output as analog to an AVR. I guarante you (as an Oppo970 owner) that if you passed DVD-A digitally via HDMI in your setup instead, the problem would go away. You would not only be able to get bass redirection from any DVD-A channel format, you'd also have a way to adjust for an LFE bug if there is one.
(*including those like me who have an Oppo970 but use the HDMI output).

Well it's only 3 discs at this point and for those the DTS sounds pretty damn good. I don't have HDMI capability yet. Everything else sounds great to fantastic to my ears.

A question.... I recently got my Lafayette SQ-W out of storage and wanted to try to convert some of my quad albums to DVD-A and found this thread. I have the Maya44 Sound Card installed, but there seems to be some low level noise creeping onto my files. I am using Sound Forge (trial version at the moment) and when setting up to record (without any input), I have 4.0 channels of low volume "noise". I see that the Maya44 is also available as an outboard via USB. I don't know if that would be quieter? Let me know if there are any tricks I may be missing (?) thanks!... steve c

A question.... I recently got my Lafayette SQ-W out of storage and wanted to try to convert some of my quad albums to DVD-A and found this thread. I have the Maya44 Sound Card installed, but there seems to be some low level noise creeping onto my files. I am using Sound Forge (trial version at the moment) and when setting up to record (without any input), I have 4.0 channels of low volume "noise". I see that the Maya44 is also available as an outboard via USB. I don't know if that would be quieter? Let me know if there are any tricks I may be missing (?) thanks!... steve c

Hi Steve,

I too experienced a noise problem with the Maya 44. The noise was a 60 cycle ground feedback loop. Better know as the classic "60 cycle humm". This ground noise can be a real pain in the ass. My solution for this was to completely isolate the ground from the Computer and ALL of its components.
I used 3 prong > 2 prong adapters (the kind you use if a wall plug does not have a ground) on each piece. The Computer, Printer, Monitor and any other attachment that creates a chassis ground. For example, I use a coax TV cable inputed into my computer. It was grounding the system as well. I had to add an in-line 1:1 isolation transformer connected to the coax cable to isolate the ground and that did the trick. No more humm. :D If this is the kind of noise you are having, I hope this helps.

Spence

Back