DVD Audio disc or Dualdisc version?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
There are some releases notably Silverline that came out in both a DVDA disc version and a Dualdisc version.
Anyone developed a preference based on experience as to which type is desirable?

I notice that some dualdiscs come with extras like dolby headphone files which I've never tried and computer extras that don't appear on the DVDA discs. This is in addition to the obvious extra a cd side that can be played or copied.
Any risk that the dualdisc can delaminate and the two sides split apart?
There are a few exceptions where the DVDA stream or mix does not appear on the dualdisc....

Thanks for the responses but what I'm actually interested in are opinions about the dvd side between these two formats since the content seems to vary between them. Agreed about problems playing the non standard cd sides although they can be copied or burnt on a computer.

Thanks for the responses but what I'm actually interested in are opinions about the dvd side between these two formats since the content seems to vary between them. Agreed about problems playing the non standard cd sides although they can be copied or burnt on a computer.
My advice Jeffie .... Buy the version which is CHEAPER because they essentially have the exact same content!

i can't think of any specific titles off the top of my head but iirc some of the Silverline DualDiscs have DVD-V 5.1 sides rather than DVD-A/MLP but its a case by case basis and a rarer instance there's even been both a DVD-V and DVD-A DualDisc of the same album.

edit: something similar happened with a few other titles and other labels, one i do recall was Fischerspooner's #1 album.
the USA DualDisc was DVD-A on the DVD side, whereas one configuration of the USA CD+DVD package (confusingly there was more than one variant of that config.) had the 5.1 in DVD-V form.

2nd edit: i don't currently have access to my Silverline DVD-A's or Silverline DualDiscs but once i do i'll fish 'em all out and report back on findings 🙂

edit 3: seems there was some debate about this one here at QQ and there was both a DVD-A DualDisc release and a DVD-V DualDisc release in addition to the original DVD-A release in the oversized SJB+ jewel case.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...phat-band-xxl-dvd-a-dualdisc.8489/#post-65409

Last edited:
The bits are the same, so no quality difference, but maybe some differences in content, so that is what would matter.

Silverline discs that were released in DVDA and later Dualdisc all contain a DVDA layer as from my experience.
But then I don't have them all .

Now Silverline "Master Series " Dualdisc's were not DVDA even though many of these best of's did come from a DVDA.
I only have 2 and they are both DVD DD 5.1. These Master Series were from their last year(2006).

But on Silverline Immergent, I have the Alan Parsons -A Valid Path Dualdisc which is in DD DTS , and might be the only one using DTS , in their final releases. They did use DTS DD in the beginning.(btw, on dvda)*

Edit no s/b on*

-----
Now on Weird Al Yankovic- Straight Outta Lynwood Dualdisc , the Canadian (Idiot) version is Dolby not
DD 5.1 as is the American version. But that's a completely different label ,..... maybe BMG ?

----------
and a pic of the back on my 2 Master Series disc's.....v
16584536297222273665387213513538.jpg
16584536885342879519085729489955.jpg

Last edited:
Silverline discs that were released in DVDA and later Dualdisc all contain a DVDA layer as from my experience.
But then I don't have them all .

Now Silverline "Master Series " Dualdisc's were not DVDA even though many of these best of's did come from a DVDA.
I only have 2 and they are both DVD DD 5.1. These Master Series were from their last year(2006).

But on Silverline Immergent, I have the Alan Parsons -A Valid Path Dualdisc which is in DD DTS , and might be the only one using DTS , in their final releases. They did use DTS DD in the beginning.(btw, on dvda)*

Edit no s/b on*

-----
Now on Weird Al Yankovic- Straight Outta Lynwood Dualdisc , the Canadian (Idiot) version is Dolby not
DD 5.1 as is the American version. But that's a completely different label ,..... maybe BMG ?

----------
and a pic of the back on my 2 Master Series disc's.....vView attachment 81482View attachment 81483
How is the Punk and New Wave disc?

Back