DVD Audio Extractor Help Needed - To create The Ultimate Beatles Surround Sound Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chescowx

QQ Supporter
Hello all,
I am a newbie to this but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I own the Blue Ray discs for the Beatles One / Hard Day's Night Movie and Help Movie. Plus I of course own the Sgt. Pepper / White Album and Abbey Road Blu Ray discs. While I enjoy the Beatles One and the 2 movies with their surround sound mixes. I am really trying to make my own SS mix that only uses the true surround sound studio recordings (not live versions like Can't Buy Me Love etc.) from the Beatles One along with the surround sound mixes of complete songs from the HDN and Help blu ray soundtracks - in the correct recorded order excluding any live versions from the One BD.
I have done my best to research a bit and have extracted the audio using DVD Audio Extractor and now have both the cue files and a long .DTSWAV file. Can any kind soul help me out with how to make this mix.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You’re trying to create a playlist from your own Blu-ray Discs. You’re at the point of having one long .DTSWAV file with a cue file, using DVD Audio Extractor.

I take it you plan to use a computer connected to an Amp using HDMI. Or are you going to convert to a disc.

I haven’t used DVD Audio Extractor in a while, but I’m sure someone knows how to extract from your discs.

What you should be able to do with 1 Plus, Sgt Pepper, and The White Album is use DVD A/E to extract individual files of each track from your rips of the Blurays.

With regards to the movies AHDN and Help, I was able to extract each song as a file from the rips of the Blurays. IIRC, each of the songs is contained in its own chapter, but you need you use Audacity (or equivalent) to edit out those pieces at the beginning and end of each chapter that aren’t parts of the actual song.

Once this is all done, you can then arrange the files in a folder on a drive in any desired order and play them. I prefer not to go the big-continuous-file-with-cuesheet approach when possible. Also, using the file by file method will allow you to adjust for volume differences between songs using something like Audacity. Yes, you can do the same by massaging one long continuous file but it’s extremely cumbersome.

Hello all,
I am a newbie to this but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I own the Blue Ray discs for the Beatles One / Hard Day's Night Movie and Help Movie. Plus I of course own the Sgt. Pepper / White Album and Abbey Road Blu Ray discs. While I enjoy the Beatles One and the 2 movies with their surround sound mixes. I am really trying to make my own SS mix that only uses the true surround sound studio recordings (not live versions like Can't Buy Me Love etc.) from the Beatles One along with the surround sound mixes of complete songs from the HDN and Help blu ray soundtracks - in the correct recorded order excluding any live versions from the One BD.
I have done my best to research a bit and have extracted the audio using DVD Audio Extractor and now have both the cue files and a long .DTSWAV file. Can any kind soul help me out with how to make this mix.

Thanks in advance for any help!

What you should be able to do with 1 Plus, Sgt Pepper, and The White Album is use DVD A/E to extract individual files of each track from your rips of the Blurays.

With regards to the movies AHDN and Help, I was able to extract each song as a file from the rips of the Blurays. IIRC, each of the songs is contained in its own chapter, but you need you use Audacity (or equivalent) to edit out those pieces at the beginning and end of each chapter that aren’t parts of the actual song.

Once this is all done, you can then arrange the files in a folder on a drive in any desired order and play them. I prefer not to go the big-continuous-file-with-cuesheet approach when possible. Also, using the file by file method will allow you to adjust for volume differences between songs using something like Audacity. Yes, you can do the same by massaging one long continuous file but it’s extremely cumbersome.
Thanks so what kind of individual file should these be saved as using DVD AE to ensure it keeps the 7 channel surround sound?? thanks!

What did you use with DVDAE to get past the copy protection on the bluerays? DVDAE wont rip copyrighted bluerays by itself. Personally i find it easier to rip using MKV. Choose the audio stream i want to keep, and then convert to FLAC using Audiomuxer. But DVDAE can also rip tracks from an MKV backup, since the copy protection whold have been bypassed.

Also, for anything you are going to edit, save some time and rip those tracks to WAV, edit them, and then convert the final product to FLAC.

What did you use with DVDAE to get past the copy protection on the bluerays? DVDAE wont rip copyrighted bluerays by itself. Personally i find it easier to rip using MKV. Choose the audio stream i want to keep, and then convert to FLAC using Audiomuxer. But DVDAE can also rip tracks from an MKV backup, since the copy protection whold have been bypassed.

Also, for anything you are going to edit, save some time and rip those tracks to WAV, edit them, and then convert the final product to FLAC.
I used MKV to get the protection off - can't you edit FLAC files in Audacity and not convert to WAV at all? Also I am a bit confused by one thing - in the past when I ripped surround sound if I tried to play on my computer through say windows media player I would only get the static - however with these I see in the details 6 channels yet I am able to hear it through my computer speakers?? If it is true SS shouldn't all I hear is static?? thanks!

Here is shot of one file
1614527499452.png

I used MKV to get the protection off - can't you edit FLAC files in Audacity and not convert to WAV at all? Also I am a bit confused by one thing - in the past when I ripped surround sound if I tried to play on my computer through say windows media player I would only get the static - however with these I see in the details 6 channels yet I am able to hear it through my computer speakers?? If it is true SS shouldn't all I hear is static?? thanks!
Please comeone correct me if this is incorrect. If you load FLAC into Audacity you certainly can edit it. But as it loads the files, it converts to PCM. The editing process is done on the PCM files. And then when saving, it takes the PCM track and reconverts to WAV or FLAC.. So its pretty transparent, but the extra conversions take time.

If you get static, you are listening to a DTS encode without a proper decoder. FLAC is just lossless size compressed PCM. Either can produce multichannel tracks.

Please comeone correct me if this is incorrect. If you load FLAC into Audacity you certainly can edit it. But as it loads the files, it converts to PCM. The editing process is done on the PCM files. And then when saving, it takes the PCM track and reconverts to WAV or FLAC.. So its pretty transparent, but the extra conversions take time.

If you get static, you are listening to a DTS encode without a proper decoder. FLAC is just lossless size compressed PCM. Either can produce multichannel tracks.
But I wonder why am I hearing sound out of my 2 speakers on my computer with DTS file when I usually only hear static.?? Thanks!

But I wonder why am I hearing sound out of my 2 speakers on my computer with DTS file when I usually only hear static.?? Thanks!
A couple possibilities.

1. You arent actually playing a dts file. For example, I know you can create a DTS file and name the file with a WAV extension, and when it plays back on a DTS capable media player it plays as DTS. Beside what the file is named, what does the media player say is being played?

2, Whatever media player you are using either has or recently recieved a DTS decoder plug in.

Thanks to all for your help!! All seems to be working well!! My only issue seems to be on the Help soundtrack - the vocals are way low in the mix for all tracks off that Blu Ray when I play them on my surround sound system. Would seem to me that the vocal channel is for some reason low in the mix but when I look at audacity and the 6 channels I can't see any real differences - any ideas? Thanks again!

Thanks to all for your help!! All seems to be working well!! My only issue seems to be on the Help soundtrack - the vocals are way low in the mix for all tracks off that Blu Ray when I play them on my surround sound system. Would seem to me that the vocal channel is for some reason low in the mix but when I look at audacity and the 6 channels I can't see any real differences - any ideas? Thanks again!
What equipment are you playing back with?

See below grab from audacity - it sounds fine through audacity...yet when played through surround sound system the vocals are buried....any thoughts?? Thanks again!

View attachment 64152

I can’t say for sure, but something has gone wrong when you re-encode the files for playback or the player doesn’t play back the same as on computer.

Try playing around with the files to see what it might be. I might eliminate the center vocal (keeping a silent center) and also try boasting the vocals way up. Or, put all the other channels not center vocal down. See what you get. Try a different program to re-encode. Experiment with it a little.

Back