DVD Audio Extractor possible issues with latest version?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of a retagging package. Is there one you’d recommend? I’m on a Mac.
I've been using Metadatics on the Mac for a while and have been very satisfied with it. You can find it in the App Store. I find the export/import feature handy to replicate a series of file tags. Sometimes I'll alter a single media file name through Metadatics though I typically do bulk file renaming directly with MacOS Finder.
Metadatics Window Shot.png
Metadatics Column Choices Pulldown Shot.png

I've been using this old simple app called Tag for forever now.
I'll have to check out the above though. I just use the Finder for general file handling and renaming, etc too. I prefer managing files with the Finder and dropping into media players that way vs the weird reinvent the wheel (file manager) some media players do (cough Kodi cough) but I digress.

I also use DVD Audio Extractor. A straight to the point no bs app.

I am new to ripping multichannel from pure audio blu ray. Am I doing this right? My goal is get in as lossless a manner as possible to 24/96 5.1 flac, if that resolution makes sense. Idk

Here's what I'm doing now:

I use MakeMKV to make a backup.
I open the backup folder with DVD Audio Extractor.
At this point I get confused. For this particular disc there is Title 1 and Title 2. The only 6-channel audio stream under Title 1 is DTS (192kHz), and under Title 2, the 6-chanel audio streams are TrueHD 48kHz and LPCM 96kHz.
I pick LPCM 96kHz and click next. I pick FLAC as the format for encoding and sample rate "same as input" and proceed to encoding.

Then on the next disc (same label Sono Luminus), there is only 1 Title, and the 6-channel audio streams are DTS 192 kHz and DTS 96 kHz. I think that I have read that DTS is lossy compression? So which one should I pick, and what is a reasonable target resolution?

Thanks in advance and I hope my questions are not too off topic.

(It seems a little absurd to me that 2 or 3 discs have to travel through the mail and then through 2 programs to get out the files that I want.)

And if you want to play with a third program, you can use ffmpeg -i MakeMKVfile to see which stream is which; although it makes it easy then to know for sure what you want if you are only picking one.
Here is an example.
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s32p (24 bit) (default)
Stream #0:2(eng): Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 1536 kb/s
Stream #0:3(eng): Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, stereo, s32p (24 bit)
Stream #0:4(eng): Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 1536 kb/s

I only use DVD Audio Extractor for DVD Audio, not BR so can't answer your question.
Looking at the back of a Solo Luminous release, the 5.1 DTS-HD MA is the only MCH @192 kHz so it sounds like Title 1 is what you want.

Reactions: mkt
I am new to ripping multichannel from pure audio blu ray. Am I doing this right? My goal is get in as lossless a manner as possible to 24/96 5.1 flac, if that resolution makes sense. Idk

At this point I get confused. For this particular disc there is Title 1 and Title 2. The only 6-channel audio stream under Title 1 is DTS (192kHz), and under Title 2, the 6-chanel audio streams are TrueHD 48kHz and LPCM 96kHz.
I pick LPCM 96kHz and click next. I pick FLAC as the format for encoding and sample rate "same as input" and proceed to encoding.

Then on the next disc (same label Sono Luminus), there is only 1 Title, and the 6-channel audio streams are DTS 192 kHz and DTS 96 kHz. I think that I have read that DTS is lossy compression? So which one should I pick, and what is a reasonable target resolution?

(It seems a little absurd to me that 2 or 3 discs have to travel through the mail and then through 2 programs to get out the files that I want.)

Was the first disc sucessful?

Was the first disc sucessful?
Yes. I cannot complain about the results. My archival OCD wants to avoid encoding something that might be low resolution (I am not exactly sure what DTS is) to high resolution (24/96 flac) and wasting space. Or picking the "wrong" audio stream.

DTS and DTS 96/24 are lossy codecs. DTS-HDMA is lossless, however some programs still show DTS-HDMA as ‘DTS’. I can’t remember whether DVDAE does this as I don’t use DVDAE to convert BDs.

BDs almost always have DTS-HDMA

Reactions: mkt
I've been using mp3tag on pc for 6 years - it's a very good program.
I use Foobar often MMH and Mp3Tag, the thing that I kept screwing up on Mp3Tag was you have to make sure you highlight the songs on the right pane and the hit the save button after making changes.
Seems like a no brainer, but it’s also easy to forget.

I use Foobar often MMH and Mp3Tag, the thing that I kept screwing up on Mp3Tag was you have to make sure you highlight the songs on the right pane and the hit the save button after making changes.
Seems like a no brainer, but it’s also easy to forget.

I always say, "if you can't remember...just forget it" lmao

I find Mp3tag a bit of a pain. Tagscanner is the best tagger I’ve tried, it’s my ‘go to’ for tagging, renaming. Although a recent change means its harder to tag multiple albums. It used to load all files under a folder, including sub-folders. Now you’ve got to add each album folder one at a time...

DTS-HD MA is always (or almost always) listed in DVD-AE as DTS. If the packaging indicates the disc has a DTS-HD MA program, then “DTS” should be lossless DTS-HD MA.

All other things equal, there is no difference in ripping Dolby True HD, DTS-HD MA or LPCM in DVD-AE. You can flip a coin.

As for what resolution? There is no right answer - hell, some people think 320kb lossy is good enough. Personally I always rip flac at the highest available native bit depth and sampling rate.

I find Mp3tag a bit of a pain. Tagscanner is the best tagger I’ve tried, it’s my ‘go to’ for tagging, renaming. Although a recent change means its harder to tag multiple albums. It used to load all files under a folder, including sub-folders. Now you’ve got to add each album folder one at a time...

Three changes I made to Mp3tag makes it perfect. Change option to "select files automatically." That saves a step. Add 2 tools, Album Art Downloader and Open in Folder shortcut.

Yea you're doing it right.
Anytime you have the LPCM option use that, then you know that the stream hasn't been (supposedly) submitted to any type of encoding, it should be a bit-perfect rip of the disc.. After that it's just a guess, sometimes I'll first click on the info tagging icon on the far top right of DVD-AE and download any metadata available. If still in the dark I'll look up the album on a few sites like discogs and try to determine whats what from what I find there. Its a brain bender at times.
Be glad we have the programs we do to rip these discs, they didn't exist at all not very long ago.
Have fun.

I've been using this now ancient app called... Tag. (From SBooth I believe)

Heh. So what am I missing out on from 21st century software? :D

Back