Dvd Audio Extractor Question or 2?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Staff member
Ok SNood finally getting round to backing up my own personal DVD surround titles............

When me go into DAE and choose what type of file want to save to choosing FLAC, but it gives me choice of either AC3 or DTS both 48 khz 6 ch...............right now am choosing AC3 becuz supposedly smaller file.

Which should SNood choose or what do yall choose?

Also when Me choose DTS gives me option to to make audio Cd Image and cue sheet...........it comes out koo and plays on foobar, but having a heck of a time making the actual DTS CD - Snood download Exact audio copy and CDRwin.........CDRwin locks up and closes when me try and EAC starts up but then seemingly keeps going with nothing happening. hmmmm

Main concern is basicly AC3 or DTS - know AC# is more Dolby Digital or something but here is Snood now :mad:@:

Thank You for any help

Ok SNood finally getting round to backing up my own personal DVD surround titles............

When me go into DAE and choose what type of file want to save to choosing FLAC, but it gives me choice of either AC3 or DTS both 48 khz 6 ch...............right now am choosing AC3 becuz supposedly smaller file.

Which should SNood choose or what do yall choose?

Also when Me choose DTS gives me option to to make audio Cd Image and cue sheet...........it comes out koo and plays on foobar, but having a heck of a time making the actual DTS CD - Snood download Exact audio copy and CDRwin.........CDRwin locks up and closes when me try and EAC starts up but then seemingly keeps going with nothing happening. hmmmm

Main concern is basicly AC3 or DTS - know AC# is more Dolby Digital or something but here is Snood now :mad:@:

Thank You for any help

Audiomuxer is better. Never choose ac3 over dts. Dts cd's don't sound near as good as 24 bit / 48khz dts dvd (or 24/96 dts). We are only talking about music dvd's correct? Not dvd-audio. Hard drives are cheap, store your tunes in the origional format, don't compress.

Audiomuxer is better. Never choose ac3 over dts. Dts cd's don't sound near as good as 24 bit / 48khz dts dvd (or 24/96 dts). We are only talking about music dvd's correct? Not dvd-audio. Hard drives are cheap, store your tunes in the origional format, don't compress.

Yes only DVD-V music stuff - already converted my DVD-A stuff - So don't choose AC3?

Attachments

• DVDAE.jpg
    DVDAE.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Well there is a setting called Direct Stream Demux where I can save these as straight dts files..............instead of flac??? Snood was gonna save them as FLAC dts

When me do this as Direct Stream Demux DTS files the Nick Cave Murder Ballads Dts folder is 636 MB

Where as

When me do it as DTS 24/48 6 ch to FLAC it is 1.7 G

Thank You for the help in advance.

Best bet is to use Direct Stream Demux & save as DTS. Smallest file with no loss of info. Only warning I would give is that on some titles where tracks run together (Dark Side, etc.), if you play back the straight DTS files you might get a small tick when switching tracks. In those cases I dump the entire title to a single FLAC file, then use Audacity to carve out the individual tracks.

Best bet is to use Direct Stream Demux & save as DTS. Smallest file with no loss of info. Only warning I would give is that on some titles where tracks run together (Dark Side, etc.), if you play back the straight DTS files you might get a small tick when switching tracks. In those cases I dump the entire title to a single FLAC file, then use Audacity to carve out the individual tracks.

You can do it that way or using audiomuxer. Final step is take .dts unconverted files and run through audiomuxer (different function) and change to flac. There is no difference other than tagging features you lack with the .dts extention.

This is almost exactly what I would have answered, except:

Use MKVmerge to merge multiple dts files into one .mka file. If you merge them to FLAC, you'll end up with bigger files while the quality stays the same. MKA, instead, is simply a "container" format that contains all the data from the original dts files in one run.

http://www.videohelp.com/software/mkvtoolnix

This is almost exactly what I would have answered, except:

Use MKVmerge to merge multiple dts files into one .mka file. If you merge them to FLAC, you'll end up with bigger files while the quality stays the same. MKA, instead, is simply a "container" format that contains all the data from the original dts files in one run.

http://www.videohelp.com/software/mkvtoolnix

FLAC is just a container of the .dts file so I am not sure why you would want to use a primarily video format for audio. A .dts wav converted to a flac using Audiomuxer is the way to go. Use Audiomuxer to rip the .dts off disc and then use Audiomuxer to convert the .dts to a dts wav and then to flac in one quick step...there is no conversion, just a container and the file size is the same other than the tag size which is the reason you store as flac. Organizing all your music with tags is the way to go.

I might be doing something wrong, then. In all my experiences, converting DTS to FLAC involved decoding the DTS and saving the 6 audio channels in the FLAC file at the bitrates you select, thus increasing the file size noticeably. What you write about FLAC working as a mere container, I have only gotten to work with .mka files (which are audio-only containers, even though the more common sister format .mkv is primarily a video format).

Snood: if you can get FLAC to work as Himey describes, I'd say go for it. It's definitely a more common format! My recommendation would be, try both and see what you come up with :)

I might be doing something wrong, then. In all my experiences, converting DTS to FLAC involved decoding the DTS and saving the 6 audio channels in the FLAC file at the bitrates you select, thus increasing the file size noticeably. What you write about FLAC working as a mere container, I have only gotten to work with .mka files (which are audio-only containers, even though the more common sister format .mkv is primarily a video format).

Snood: if you can get FLAC to work as Himey describes, I'd say go for it. It's definitely a more common format! My recommendation would be, try both and see what you come up with :)

Trust me. Audiomuxer has a special feature. If you convert music and have not used Audiomuxer, check it out, it has replaced many tools...

Thank you Bright and Himey.....
Snood will prob check out audiomuxer too....right now Snood is having decent luck with dvd audio extractor decoding to 6 chan flac...was easier to tag for sure.

Choosing 6 chan Dts... then to flac. So far so good

Thank you :snoodhug:

I am 3+ years behind Snood, but finally got around to downloading a free trial of DVD Audio Extractor and have some questions. I have a Mac, so any alternatives to DVD Audio Extractor must run on Apple OS 10.11 or earlier, which unfortunately eliminates Audiomuxer. My first attempt at ripping multi-channel DTS 96/24 audio tracks was very successful, but.....

1) DVD Audio Extractor is limited to 48kHz while many of the discs are 96kHz. Is there a Mac compatible program out there that takes advantage of the higher sampling rate? [Edit 10/29/18: Looking down into later threads, it has been confirmed that the newer versions of DVDAE will actually extract at 96kV. So this is not an issue.]

2) If I stick with DVD Audio Extractor, I see that selecting 24 bit-depth instead of the default of 16 increases file sizes significantly. Any opinions on whether I gain anything by increasing the bit depth from 16 to 24 if the sampling rate is limited to 48kHz? (Or is one not related to the other?)

3) My Oppo 205 will play FLAC files thru the USB on my Oppo 205, but there is no fast forward capability. Also, my receiver won't recognize FLAC if I output via the Oppo S/PDIF. WAV files allow both fast forwarding and output via S/PDIF, but the files are even larger yet. Any other suggestions that:
a) allow for smaller files;
b) allow for fast forwarding via USB playback;
c) also work for DVD-A and BR-A audio extraction; and
c) do all of the above without degrading audio quality

Please help save me from myself. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am 3+ years behind Snood, but finally got around to downloading a free trial of DVD Audio Extractor and have some questions. I have a Mac, so any alternatives to DVD Audio Extractor must run on Apple OS 10.11 or earlier, which unfortunately eliminates Audiomuxer. My first attempt at ripping multi-channel DTS 96/24 audio tracks was very successful, but.....

1) DVD Audio Extractor is limited to 48kHz while many of the discs are 96kHz. Is there a Mac compatible program out there that takes advantage of the higher sampling rate?

2) If I stick with DVD Audio Extractor, I see that selecting 24 bit-depth instead of the default of 16 increases file sizes significantly. Any opinions on whether I gain anything by increasing the bit depth from 16 to 24 if the sampling rate is limited to 48kHz? (Or is one not related to the other?)

3) My Oppo 205 will play FLAC files thru the USB on my Oppo 205, but there is no fast forward capability. Also, my receiver won't recognize FLAC if I output via the Oppo S/PDIF. WAV files allow both fast forwarding and output via S/PDIF, but the files are even larger yet. Any other suggestions that:
a) allow for smaller files;
b) allow for fast forwarding via USB playback;
c) also work for DVD-A and BR-A audio extraction; and
c) do all of the above without degrading audio quality

Please help save me from myself. Thanks.

Heya AR - My DVD Audio Extractor will do 96khz - I have mine set as "Same as Input" on the 2nd screen with the Sample Rate drop down and I would say yes keep the 24 bit - mucho better IMO

My Sample rate drop down goes from Same as Input all the way to 96000 - might be that the DVD discs you are ripping are only 24.48 Dolby? - which a lot are. If you know for sure they should be 24. 96 then they should show up as such, except a few discs that have been bastages and had to use MAKEMKV

Snood currently has DVD-A of Joni Mitchell in and it only gives me 24.96 options in stereo and MCH - what Are your settings on the 2nd screen when u hit NEXT? :unsure:

uIN65q1.jpg

Back