DVD Audio Extractor

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Old news for some, but new to me so I'm posting it. "elshagon" from the Google surround sound group posted in the group that version 5 of DVD-Audio Extractor now can rip the MLP tracks from DVD Audio discs!

I didn't know this, so I went and downloaded the latest version (5.0.2). Since I registered my copy back in 2005, I just had to enter my registration number and it was rockin'. Very nice.

Had an issue, but it turned out to be AnyDVD, which has to be turned off before DVDAudio Extractor will function.

This program is now perfect, IMHO, and a must have for any surround fan. :phones

NO - This is not an ad! :rolleyes:

Questions remain for me (help me I am new)...

Does this mean I can make back up copies of my DVD-A's and use them in my Acura TL? or would there still be a watermark issue? (I have spent some crazy money on some of these titles, I would love to archive the originals in a cabinet at home - I keep wondering if some idiot might one day steal the DVD-A's from the car - who then would have no clue what to do with them...)

Similarly, does anyone know the DVD audio extractor and Cirlinca method, for DTS-DVD to DVD-A, will create a DVD-A that will work in the car? I have lots of great surround DTS-DVD that would be great to hear in the car.

Jon, I am hoping you may be one of the members who knows this...

Bender

Hi Bender, and welcome to QQ

Well, sadly, any DVD-A you make from "store-bought" DVD-A's will not play in the Acura. It really sucks, as the DVD-A's get rarer it makes taking them into the car a bigger risk. You could make DTS CDs out of them and play those in the car, but that would take a bit of work.

DVD Audio Extractor will let you convert a store bought DVD-A to 6 mono files, either individual tracks or the entire disc (in individual tracks). However, the watermark will stay intact, and the Acuar ELS system observes the watermark. It will stay with the files even if you change the bit depth, frequency, or even if you vary the speed a bit. The watermark is a tough cookie, it's a wonder why they let DVD-A go away. It probably had the best CP of anything they've made for commercial sale!

DVD Audio Extractor will, however, let you extract the DTS and DD sound from concert or music DVD-V's and create DVD-A's for your car. That's something that many folks have done.

You would be better off, IMHO, with Discwelder Bronze, in creating the DVD-A's for the Acura. You can get that for $79-$99 if you look hard enough.

Jon,

Thank you so much for the information. I doubted the DVD-A could be copied easily without a watermark. I will keep risking it in the car. That DVD-A sound is just that good..

I am still very interested in the DTS-DVD to DVD-A concept. I have a good deal of music DTS-DVD's that I have been dying to hear (Genesis boxes for example) in the car.
As for Discwelder Bronze, in your opinion, why would this be a better route than the Cirlinca products? I am also a Mac user, I noticed Cirlinca boasts that it works with a Windows emulator. I have even considered buying a PC simply to do this stuff. (I am going crazy?).

Bender

For some reason, it appears that the cirlinca programs cannot do 5.1 at 24/96 for all 6 channels. This seems odd. Actually, I've never used the cirlinca programs, so maybe some member who has can correct me or chime in with advice.

I know we have some "mac" guys here. HEY MAC GUYS!! Help us out!

http://cirlinca.com/products6.htm

Actually, looking at the Minnetonkaudio site, I now see they make a Mac version. I guess the tough part, for me, would be how to get the DTS-DVD to the 6 WAV files needed to make the DVD-A.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I was under the impression the highest you can go on 5.1 is 24/48, at least I think this is what I remember my store bought DVD-A's stating.

Bender

I was under the impression the highest you can go on 5.1 is 24/48

24/48 is the highest you can go on DVD-A without an MLP encoder. An MLP encoder is on the order of $2000 and is a lossless method of reducing the size of the audio stream to attain up to six 24/96 channels on DVD-A.

On a side note, one advantage of going with a strict quad 4 channels is that 4 channels at 24/96 will fit on a DVD-A without using MLP.

how to get the DTS-DVD to the 6 WAV files needed to make the DVD-A.
you may use any appz which can perform demux of the stream packed into .vob files (VIDEO_TS folder) and save DTS stream separately. the search by Google will give you bunch of such tools, including freeware ones.
after you got your DTS stream, TranzGUI, Wavewizard can ripp the packed stream into separate mono .wav tracks.
the truth is - it's pretty useless work, as DTS is lossy format and technically speaking has sound quality even worst than standart Red Book CD audio. extraction of 6 mono tracks with following placing them into DVD Audio wouldn't improve the quality of the sound.

For some reason, it appears that the cirlinca programs cannot do 5.1 at 24/96 for all 6 channels. This seems odd. Actually, I've never used the cirlinca programs, so maybe some member who has can correct me or chime in with advice.

I know we have some "mac" guys here. HEY MAC GUYS!! Help us out!

http://cirlinca.com/products6.htm

Jon,

I use Circlina's HD Audio Solo Ultra 2.6. (Window's Vista 64bit) As it does not have MLP capabilities, 24/96 for all 6 channels is just too big for it to process. Best you can do is 24/96 for FL/C/FR and 16/48 for RL & RR channels. There are multiple variations on this - for instance, 24/96 for FL & FR and 24/48 for C/RR/RL. However, you can do 24/96 for all channels at 4.0

Jon,

I use Circlina's HD Audio Solo Ultra 2.6. (Window's Vista 64bit) As it does not have MLP capabilities, 24/96 for all 6 channels is just too big for it to process. Best you can do is 24/96 for FL/C/FR and 16/48 for RL & RR channels. There are multiple variations on this - for instance, 24/96 for FL & FR and 24/48 for C/RR/RL. However, you can do 24/96 for all channels at 4.0

Of course, I really spaced that!

I'm going to have to get this program and try it out. It's really not that expensive at all.

This is two channel thinking (and using a different programme), but now I can play most of my DVD-A favourites in the car.

A while ago I ripped a few 96/24 Stereo MLP tracks from several DVD-A's I have with DVD-A Explorer, renamed the files Song-Artist.wav which allowed WMP9 to recognize them, highlighted the tracks and clicked Copy To Audio CD.

WMP converted the files to 44.1/16 on the fly and wrote the CD. I set the write speed to 4X.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Of course, I really spaced that!

I'm going to have to get this program and try it out. It's really not that expensive at all.

Yeah - it's a pretty handy little program. It's great for taking extracted audio streams ( I use DVD Audio Extractor) from DVD-Video and converting to DVD Audio ( and AC-3 for DVD -Video if you care). It will process either individual mono & stereo wave files, or single multichannel wave file (it also encodes directly from FLAC, WMA, MKV and a few others). It is a bit limited in what you can do with "upconverting" stereo to multichannel and there is no menu authoring - you can, however, incorporate jpegs or screen captures with title overlay (up to 20 per track). But for a quick conversion for the car or if you just don't want to hassle with cumbersome DVD-V menus and cut right to the music it's easy peasy.

Hi Bender, and welcome to QQ

DVD Audio Extractor will let you convert a store bought DVD-A to 6 mono files, either individual tracks or the entire disc (in individual tracks). However, the watermark will stay intact, and the Acuar ELS system observes the watermark.

I have been making car copies of the audio of many of my music DVDs from the dts and dd tracks and forgot a out the mlp capabilities.

Does the watermark only appear on the first track? I successfully took the mlp from a single track, albeit at 24/48 and it played without issue, the track was GoodbyeYellow Brick Road from the DVD-a.

I have been making car copies of the audio of many of my music DVDs from the dts and dd tracks and forgot a out the mlp capabilities.

Does the watermark only appear on the first track? I successfully took the mlp from a single track, albeit at 24/48 and it played without issue, the track was GoodbyeYellow Brick Road from the DVD-a.
Some discs do not have watermarking but if it does it is usually on every track. If you play a copied disc on a player that observes the watermark, each track will play about 30 seconds then go silent.

There are a lot of threads on DVD Audio Extractor, so I randomly picked this one. While I am recovering from appendix removal I need to catch up on ripping 5 DVD A's, 1 DTS, 1 Dual Disc and 1 BD.
The new version of DVD Audio Extractor 8.0 says it fixed a DTS issue, I'll find out. My previous DTS rips had to include a Foobar DTS patch if I remember correctly.
Wish me luck, sometimes ripping is a breeze and sometimes not.

There are a lot of threads on DVD Audio Extractor, so I randomly picked this one. While I am recovering from appendix removal I need to catch up on ripping 5 DVD A's, 1 DTS, 1 Dual Disc and 1 BD.
The new version of DVD Audio Extractor 8.0 says it fixed a DTS issue, I'll find out. My previous DTS rips had to include a Foobar DTS patch if I remember correctly.
Wish me luck, sometimes ripping is a breeze and sometimes not.

Ouch. I couldn't figure out to get DVDAE to rip DTS discs, @marpow, but just yesterday I managed one with Exact Audio Copy. I was subsequently told that Foobar can rip a DTS-CD directly to FLAC.

Ouch. I couldn't figure out to get DVDAE to rip DTS discs, @marpow, but just yesterday I managed one with Exact Audio Copy. I was subsequently told that Foobar can rip a DTS-CD directly to FLAC.
My notes from ripping DTS is as follows: Insert disc into BD player. Open Foobar 2000v1.4 desktop. Make sure it has the added Encoder and DTS encoder are still there. File>open audio CD>rip>last used preset>converting window pops up.

Back