DVD-Audio Launch Delay of 2000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, it's the Carpenters and they're terrible. One of the four artists I hold in a special category of hatred.

The Carpenters was the first concert I've ever been to...I think it was in 1972; though I do know it was at Pine Knob MI.

If you don't mind, what are the other three artists you hold in the category of hatred?

There's a Carpenters album on MQA-CD that's not available on SACD, BD-A or DVD-A. It might be available as a high resolution digital download, but I prefer media I can store on a shelf or drawer. Also, I'm not going to spend the money they're asking for the decoder just to listen to one album.

Here's a list, courtesy of CDJapan, of available MQA titles on RBCD: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?term.media_format=&q=MQA

Actually, I'm waiting for 3 regular CDs of The Carpenters, after just picking up the Netherlands version of their greatest hits.

But, in the 1970s it's fair to say we had a complicated relationship with music back then. AM radio in many cars was all we had. And the same songs could get played to death. "Smoke on the Water" and "Stairway to heaven" could make you hit the plastic button on the radio to change the station - because they had just played it an hour ago. But all that was years ago. And unfortunately a lot of Quad Masters went up in smoke in the 2008 Universal fire.

So, whatever the music, hopefully we can still get a release of The Carpenters Quadraphonic titles, IF there are back up copies, presumably, in other countries. A Quad release of The Carpenters titles in actual Hi-Rez would be awesome.

MQA sounds like a "stereo only" Lossy format. It doesn't do surround. We're not going to buy new equipment for another "Lossy" format without surround. MQA calling itself Hi-Rez on a regular CD sounds deceptive. Instead of more DOA formats, we just need the actual Music to be freaking released.

Wasn’t there a guy on here who worked in this very industry who gave some insight on this? Basically the problems Jon mentioned led to the fact that nobody bought the players.
yea there sure was, can't remember his name but I'll never forget one thing he said in relation to the release of Dvd-audio and Sacd " the public just yawned "

So a very positive assessment of MQA from Stereophile's well respected John Atkinson.......now try selling MQA to a public not much interested in technology ....especially if they have to spring for a $200 decoder.

Incidentally, the OPPO 205 eliminated HDCD decoding ..... replacing it with MQA!

I need to understand it faaaar more. Which players are compatible? Which AVRs? What are the best titles? How discrete are they? What is the fidelity?

Honestly, Mike, there are so many pros and cons surrounding the efficacy of MQA I'm confused. You will need an outboard Meridian decoder [see link above] which used to be roughly $400 ... now $200 or an OPPO 205 which has recently been upgraded to MQA via a firmware update.

The main purpose was actually for downloading where the MQA encoded files take up less space and when decoded will fully bloom with a 24 bit~like resonance. It's much more complex than that but it does depend of course on the source material.

Whether one wants to spend the current Japanese MQA RBCD asking price of $25+ each for discs they probably already own is another issue altogether. And a lot of the Universal MQA titles have been previously issued on SHM~SACD.

See the source image

Explorer2 MQA decode

Last edited:
I need to understand it faaaar more. Which players are compatible? Which AVRs? What are the best titles? How discrete are they? What is the fidelity?

Not so much about what the best titles are, or even the fidelity, however there is within this video some talk of a number of decoders which (from how I understand it) hooks up to any CD player. To me it's more about the cost than anything else.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...18B3DE319AE5368192D718B3DE319AE5&&FORM=VRDGAR

If you don't mind, what are the other three artists you hold in the category of hatred?

The "big four" are The Carpenters, Neil Diamond, Creed and... the biggest of all, more hate than the other three combined: U2. God I hate them with a passion.

wow, don't understand how anyone can absolutely hate the carpenters music unless someone tied them up, gave em a hot enema and forced em to hold it under a piano while they played the music of the carpenters. (et al Sybel)
I can name two things. #1 My mother hates them, so I am sure some of it is inherited. #2 They are just so sappy and schlocky ballads that most of the songs I know make me want to vom.

Back