DVD-Audio Launch Delay of 2000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "big four" are The Carpenters, Neil Diamond, Creed and... the biggest of all, more hate than the other three combined: U2. God I hate them with a passion.

I can name two things. #1 My mother hates them, so I am sure some of it is inherited. #2 They are just so sappy and schlocky ballads that most of the songs I know make me want to vom.

AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS: We Long to be Close to YOU!

See the source image

Last edited:
yea there sure was, can't remember his name but I'll never forget one thing he said in relation to the release of Dvd-audio and Sacd " the public just yawned "

It took me a while to find the old thread with the post from QQ Member "Jimby" who is/was a VP at Universal and a big proponent of surround music. Unfortunately, bean counters and higher ups controlled things, not Jimby! :)

Anyway, if you read his post in the thread below (Post #18), you'll read pretty much the same thing as above and in any links. DVD-A was pretty much doomed from the git-go. Sadly.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/dvd-a-killed-by-the-code-crackers.6982/

Whether one wants to spend the current Japanese MQA RBCD asking price of $25+ each for discs they probably already own is another issue altogether. And a lot of the Universal MQA titles have been previously issued on SHM~SACD.
Waste of time. MQA is a distraction.

What Ralph and Kal said...And I have the Oppo 205 with the firmware and still ain't going there.

Last edited:
Coupled with the fact that SONY paid Capitol Records an 'undisclosed' amount of money to switch the release of PF's Dark Side of the Moon from a pre~announced DVD~A 5.1 release to SACD.

Let's not forget that most of the format launches over the years, including DTS, DVD Audio and SACD, included subsidies and payments to record labels and artists to create content to get the formats going.
When a DTS rep mentioned this at a Surround Sound conference, both the DVD Audio and SACD reps on the panel sat silently as he said "Right?"...... :)

As to Dark Side of the Moon, DTS, DVD Audio and SACD were all chasing a Surround Sound release of that album.
And all 3 announced that it was likely to be released in their format, not just the DVD-A folks. It was interesting at the time to watch the claims and see which, if any, of the formats might get that album in Stereo and/or Surround Sound.

No, it's a lossy down-res lower quality file. An attempt to get ahead on FLAC which is a better smaller file which is free. Free Audio Lossless Codec is what FLAC stands for. The majors hate it because it took off and left them with nothing to do with it. Apple really hated it. Music fans embraced it.

MQA is vapor-ware. Appears dead as an audiophile format, but may still gain some traction in streaming content.

MQA is in use by Tidal for streaming.
Now that there are streaming services like Qobuz and PrimeSeat that do not use MQA, it does raise some questions about the long term future or need for MQA.

MQA sounds like a "stereo only" Lossy format. It doesn't do surround. We're not going to buy new equipment for another "Lossy" format without surround. MQA calling itself Hi-Rez on a regular CD sounds deceptive. Instead of more DOA formats, we just need the actual Music to be freaking released.

MQA is a lossy format that is used to shrink the size of 24/96 PCM files to 16/44 and smaller size, primarily for streaming.
All of the MQA files I've heard about are Stereo. But I suppose it could be used to shrink surround sound PCM files.

MQA is a lossy format that is used to shrink the size of 24/96 PCM files to 16/44 and smaller size, primarily for streaming.
All of the MQA files I've heard about are Stereo. But I suppose it could be used to shrink surround sound PCM files.

Hi, Brian. Kal R earlier in this thread says he has some MQA files in surround. If they want to add MQA to future BR players or whatever, and that gets us more music, I wish MQA the best.

Problem is, nothing changes no matter the format. I think when Universal Music burned all those tapes, that was their way of putting music in the cloud.

#2 They are just so sappy and schlocky ballads that most of the songs I know make me want to vom.
I just have to speak up in defense of U2 here. Achtung Baby is a million miles from sappy and schlocky (or War for that matter). Anyway each to their own but I can't leave your comment unchallenged. 🙁

I think I meant the Carpenters were sappy and schlocky...

U2 is just horrifying garbage that I hate with the fiery passion of 1000 suns.
So where do Coldplay fall on this scale? Coldplay is... (etc) ...of a billion suns?

Btw, thumbs up for Michael Giacchino's Lost score. I rediscovered it recently after a 10+ year gap.

I mean I love Coldplay. I was only speaking of the four artists I put into a special category of loathing. Your mileage may vary.

If you don't like the sound of Karen Carpenter's voice singing to you in the car (the only place I ever hear it, and only on FM, I have no Carpenters content in the collection) there may be something not wired right. She had a gorgeous voice, and was a beautiful woman.

I think I meant the Carpenters were sappy and schlocky...

U2 is just horrifying garbage that I hate with the fiery passion of 1000 suns.
With you on most of the list, though it took a while for the Carpenters to finally grow on me. Her voice is what does it. And the arrangements. Anyways, I'm totally baffled that you can include Creed on that list but not Nickelback. Creed may have started the massive wave of crappy Pearl Jam ripoffs in the late 90's early 00's, but Nickelback perfected it. Also Mark Tremonti is a really good guitarist, like REALLY good guitarist, at least from technical ability, he just plays awful music with that excellent talent. That's more than I can say for any member of Nickelback.

I think Theory of a Dead Man might actually be worse, but they never had the success or the career span (that I know of anyways) that Nickelback had. There's quite a few other bands like that. But yeah... Butt rock.

Nickleback was never shoved in my face as amazing anywhere near as much as Creed was. For a time, people acted like Creed was the Second Coming. And the comparisons with my favorite band Pearl Jam were unforgivable. Nickleback seemed like they were always like... tolerated at-best by most as sort of not-lame.

Back