DVD-Audio Only Outputting White Noise

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sashaaa

Hey everyone, I recently got ahold of the DVD-A of My Story by Ayumi Hamasaki. I've been trying to play/rip it via both foobar2000 and dvd audio extractor but both seem to only be able to output white noise from the DVD-A layer. I wonder if this could be one of those watermarked titles? I've tried copying the AUDIO_TS directory and just ripping that but to no avail. I don't have a DVD-A player currently so I can't test it playing back on a real player, however the DVD-V layer seems to play fine via my mac's built in DVD-V player. Any ideas on what could be the issue?

Hey everyone, I recently got ahold of the DVD-A of My Story by Ayumi Hamasaki. I've been trying to play/rip it via both foobar2000 and dvd audio extractor but both seem to only be able to output white noise from the DVD-A layer. I wonder if this could be one of those watermarked titles? I've tried copying the AUDIO_TS directory and just ripping that but to no avail. I don't have a DVD-A player currently so I can't test it playing back on a real player, however the DVD-V layer seems to play fine via my mac's built in DVD-V player. Any ideas on what could be the issue?
Bump
Any help for Sashaaa?

What do the DAE files look like?

Bump
Any help for Sashaaa?

What do the DAE files look like?
Thanks for the Bump Pupster :)

If you're referring to the files that are outputted, the stereo files seem normal sized but are just all white noise. The 5.1 files though are only a couple kilobytes and have no real sound (just some glitchy sounds).

If the DAE files are a couple of KB that's a CPPM decryption issue. Otherwise I have no clue.
Yeah honestly I'm thinking it could be something like that. The multichannel files are only a couple of kilobytes. It's a bit of an odd DVD-A, as it was one of the only J-Pop albums released in the format (one of only 5 I know of) and wasn't released by a label that typically deals with DVD-A. So I wouldn't be surprised if it could be some sort of issue like that. Is there anything I could do to troubleshoot? When playing the DVD-A in foobar the track lengths seem to be right so I'm pretty sure the data is still there, so I think the data is there I just need a way of getting to it.

Thanks for the Bump Pupster :)

If you're referring to the files that are outputted, the stereo files seem normal sized but are just all white noise. The 5.1 files though are only a couple kilobytes and have no real sound (just some glitchy sounds).

Yeah honestly I'm thinking it could be something like that. The multichannel files are only a couple of kilobytes. It's a bit of an odd DVD-A, as it was one of the only J-Pop albums released in the format (one of only 5 I know of) and wasn't released by a label that typically deals with DVD-A. So I wouldn't be surprised if it could be some sort of issue like that. Is there anything I could do to troubleshoot? When playing the DVD-A in foobar the track lengths seem to be right so I'm pretty sure the data is still there, so I think the data is there I just need a way of getting to it.
If you have MakeMKV, maybe try that app and see what it does with it.

Tried to troubleshoot with @Sashaaa and no luck. Maybe someone else can chime in but it seems undecryptable. File structure looks all normal. Of course, a licensed DVD-A player has yet to be tried.

Personally, I use DVD-Audio Explorer 2008 to extract native (lpcm).mpl files from my DVD-A discs...
I'll have to give this a shot, I got some ideas from @Mr. Afternoon as well on some things I could try to rip the disc so I'll come back later with the results of my troubleshooting.

Also, big thanks to everyone who has helped me so far. Didn't expect that this many people would rush to help me with this!

Tried using DVD-A explorer, unfortunately to no avail (both just outputting pcm and converting to wav, mch layer mlp doesn't work either). It did say that the disc was encrypted so I ticked the box that said to ignore disc encryption. I have a feeling it might have to do with that. @Mr. Afternoon suggested using PowerDVD 8 or WinDVD 5-7 but I can't really find a way to get ahold of that software since it's so old. I think what I need is something that can get past the CPPM or other encryption. Is there any other software I could try to rip it with? Makemkv seems to only support the VIDEO_TS directory.

Tried using DVD-A explorer, unfortunately to no avail (both just outputting pcm and converting to wav, mch layer mlp doesn't work either).
Are you sure you are using DVD-Audio Explorer 2008 and not DVD-Audio Extractor?

In all the years I've been using DVD-Audio Explorer I've never had a problem accessing and decrypting the .mpl audio files located within the disc's AUDIO-TS folder: -

Decrypt2.jpg

Are you sure you are using DVD-Audio Explorer 2008 and not DVD-Audio Extractor?

In all the years I've been using DVD-Audio Explorer I've never had a problem accessing and decrypting the .mpl audio files located within the disc's AUDIO-TS folder: -

Decrypt2.jpg
Yep! I tried both extractor and explorer. I believe that the issue seems to be that this disc is encrypted with CPRM/CPPM which I need to find a program to decrypt if I want to rip it.

Yep! I tried both extractor and explorer. I believe that the issue seems to be that this disc is encrypted with CPRM/CPPM which I need to find a program to decrypt if I want to rip it.
Here is a useful resource that provides various methods for dealing with the some of the head aches. Useful DVD-A Ripping Info
An example from this resource:
  • cpxm/dvdcpxm: this tool can decrypt CPRM/CPPM protected video and audio, that is both CPRM/CPPM protected AOBs and VOBs. Here the decrypter is called dvdcpxm.exe, but i compiled it as cpxm.exe, so that's why that name is used in this guide. Alternatively, you can also use the closed source but free "DVDFab HD Decrypter 3.1.6.2" to decrypt the AOBs.
Keep trying, you'll get it. :)

If it's *not* an encryption issue, it almost sounds like you are trying to play native DTS or AC3 files, but have some sort of processing or perhaps lack of full playback level going on in your software. Such files have to be passed to an AVR in bit-perfect fashion otherwise you get white noise. Part of being bit perfect is making sure the digital output level of your software player is on full. Also can't use things like replaygain or any EQ in the software player. You probably also have to use a WASAPI or ASIO type output to bypass the computer/laptop's mixer.

Back