DVD Audio or SACD creation in 2023 ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I mentioned in post #5, after the multi-channel audio stream has been made it's possible create AVCHD (Blu-ray authored) discs using free softwares such as TSmuxer GUI. Which can then be burned using ImgBurn.

I've created a few test discs using 'lossless' 6-channel LPCM audio at 96kHz/24-bit, 88.2kHz/24-bit and 48.0kHz/24-bit. I've also created a couple of test discs using 'lossy' 6-channel Dolby Digital audio at 48kHz (448 and 640kbps). Such discs could technically run for around 16 hours!
I’ve built a handful of stereo “Music” DVDs that have over 40 hours of compressed audio on a two-layer disc. One still picture per song, and I haven’t figured how to do MCH or sound on the menus. The format will do about 5 hours uncompressed on a single layer DVD.

I’ve built a handful of stereo “Music” DVDs that have over 40 hours of compressed audio on a two-layer disc. One still picture per song, and I haven’t figured how to do MCH or sound on the menus. The format will do about 5 hours uncompressed on a single layer DVD.
Personally, I found creating multi-channel DVD-Video or DVD-Audio compatible muxes too much of a pain to author. Which is why I decided to go down the Blu-ray disc authoring route. Followed by the AVCHD authoring onto DVD media path.

The biggest stumbling block was to work out a way of encoding Blu-ray compatible black video streams at very low bit-rates.

This morning I managed to create an AVCHD.iso file with 11.5 hours of 6-ch Dolby Digital @ 640kbps music. All of which plays perfectly when mounted on my Windows 10 computer and played using VLC or Media Player Classic. However, I haven't tried burning this lot onto a single layer DVD+RW disc yet to play on my OPPO...

Indeed, I seem to remember there may be a limitation as to the duration of an (AVCHD) Blu-ray disc compatible mux!

https://www.flickeralley.com/mod/mod-faqs/
I don't know the expected longevity of these MOD DVDs, but this seems like a reasonable way to produce ~500 discs.

Some of my consumer grade CD-R copies of my own music that I made on my PC starting in ~2004 are deteriorating (I keep them in my car all the time), the songs toward the outer edge won't play.

Kirk Bayne

https://www.flickeralley.com/mod/mod-faqs/
I don't know the expected longevity of these MOD DVDs, but this seems like a reasonable way to produce ~500 discs.

Some of my consumer grade CD-R copies of my own music that I made on my PC starting in ~2004 are deteriorating (I keep them in my car all the time), the songs toward the outer edge won't play.

Kirk Bayne
I have a few CDs that I mixed for my car about 8 years ago, and they’re starting to skip. I have the .ISO files, so they’ll be easy to make new ones of. I wonder if I should try M-discs? Supposedly they’ll outlast humanity.

Personally, I found creating multi-channel DVD-Video or DVD-Audio compatible muxes too much of a pain to author. Which is why I decided to go down the Blu-ray disc authoring route. Followed by the AVCHD authoring onto DVD media path.

The biggest stumbling block was to work out a way of encoding Blu-ray compatible black video streams at very low bit-rates.

This morning I managed to create an AVCHD.iso file with 11.5 hours of 6-ch Dolby Digital @ 640kbps music. All of which plays perfectly when mounted on my Windows 10 computer and played using VLC or Media Player Classic. However, I haven't tried burning this lot onto a single layer DVD+RW disc yet to play on my OPPO...

Indeed, I seem to remember there may be a limitation as to the duration of an (AVCHD) Blu-ray disc compatible mux!
I have made many AVCHD discs over the years using lossless DTS-HD audio, and include slides, either multiple per song or singles. Easiest way I've found to do it is use AudioMuxer. Pretty painless.

No menus. Just setup your disc player for autoplay (that is, if you burn it to disc). They always played fine in VLC as well.
Beware, in Application > Settings the option "Loop Playback AVCHD/Bu-ray" is for some reason selected by default.

Back