DVD-Audio players?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

duesy

Most of what I read concerning DVD-Audio players is less than encouraging. Seems that most of these units provide unreliable playback quality (or not at all) for allegedly supported formats such as MP3, CDRW, DVD-A. Can anyone recommend a unit that does everything its supposed to do?! Thank you.

I have had zero problems with the Pioneer DV-38A or the Kenwood DV-5900M DVD-A players with respect to video and DVD-A playback. (NOTE: These are both high end players)

I must admit that I am a moron when it comes to MP3s and such.

:-jon

I have a Toshiba SD-9200 that I absolutely adore. I would recommend this unit to anyone looking for a fantastic DVD-A player that just happens to be a fantastic CD/CDR/CDRW/HDCD/DVD player as well. A few folks have nit-picked over some very trivial issues with it's video capabilities but everyone seems to be in agreement that it's audio capabilities are top-notch. What really sets this unit apart is that it supports a "direct audio" mode that totally disconnects all video circuitry from the equation. The difference this makes is startling and surprising.

The only limitation I have run into is that, for whatever reason, it will not play DD CDR's. I don't know if it does MP3 or not. MP3 is the format of the devil.

Cai:

Thanks for your suggestion. Does the Toshiba 9200 offer onboard DTS decoding, and where would you recommend purchase of this unit and a fair price to pay? Also, you refer to "DD CDR's," what is DD? Thank you,

DD is Dolby Digital. The SD-9200 has a built-in DD decoder that works with DVD's but it very specifically will NOT work with DD CDR's (and presumably regular CD's, but I have never seen a commercial DD audio CD.) Anyway, this is a very minor point almost not worth mentioning.

This unit does not have a built in DTS decoder.

This unit retailed new for around $2000.00 but now sells in the $800.00 neighborhood. Check eBay. I saw a guy selling new stock of these units with a buy-it-now price around $500.00. That's an incredible bargain, as far as I'm concerned.

Curious: stated spec's indicate support for onboard DTS decoding. I wonder if they are misleading?

Back