DVD Audio vs DTS/DD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Can somebody explain why I can't hear the difference between DVD-A played on a DVD-A player and DVD Audio played in DTS or DD. I really don't hear a sonic improvement with DVD A over DTS/DD. I know my hearings not what it used to be, and maybe my Pioneer reciever and Polk speakers aren't high end stuff, but is the DVD-A edge that small of an improvement? Maybe I need to move over to the SACD camp!
T-Bone

I don't have a real high end system for play back, Technics receiver and Technics Speakers - I notice a vast improvement in sound going to dvd-a , 192khz stereo is crystal clear - I'm still not sure about SACD Only one set of discs to try Rodger Waters Live In the Flesh- Poor use of back Channels as far as I'm concernerd! I do d.t.s. conversions and with my setup I can switch the source from the computer I load the anolouge and d.t.s. waves in the cool Edit Pro and play them back and switch back forth and they sound almost identical - Dvd-a is more clear and sharp sounding

Hmmm, I don't know what to say. The difference for me is like night and day. Maybe if you're used to listening to digital sources (e.g. regular redbook CD's) then the difference won't be readily apparent. However, if you're used to listening to a decent analog source, then you might be more tuned to the enhanced resolution offered by DVD-A. I mean, that's the way I perceived it. I feel that DVD-A and SACD sound very close to analog.

Regular CD's have always bothered me. The difference between regular CD's and DTS/DD are not that great, sonically, to my ears, but either format is actually a step down from regular CD's. So, comparing DTS/DD to DVD-A is about as extreme as you can get (well, I suppose you could compare MP3 to DVD-A, but we won't go there). In any event, I would compare the difference to roller-skating on an asphault sidewalk versus roller-skating on the hard-wood floor of a well maintained roller-rink. You just get a much smoother, more natural performance.

"The difference between regular CD's and DTS/DD are not that great, sonically, to my ears, but either format is actually a step down from regular CD's. "
Cai , so you feel the 24 bit d.t.s. sound worse than a standard 16 bit stereo cd!?- Here is an experiment to try take a stereo cd record it in stereo d.t.s. 24 bit and play it back , and let me know what you think- put both in Cool Edit multi -track and switch back /a/b/a/b Let me know if you can hear a differance- Personally I prefer the anolouge over any thing !
And speaking Mp3 I heard they are working on a multi-channel format Just thought we should all switch over to MP3.......... NOT!

You think a 24/44.1 compressed (4:1) DTS track sounds better than an uncompressed raw 16/44.1 track? I don't want to go through the hassle to experiment with that myself, but I can't imagine that I'd prefer the DTS track! I don't doubt that a 24/44.1 DTS track sounds better than a 16/44.1 DTS track, but not an uncompressed 16/44.1 track...

O.K. I see Your Point! But I still find Cd grating most of the time and can listen to d.t.s. cds all day with no iritation so to speak!

A stereo compact disc is made to the "red book" standard if it is to carry the compact disc logo. A DTS CD is not a redbook cd because it does not use uncompressed PCM encoding for it's data stream. When a manufacturer licenses itself to produce compact disc equipment, they are sent a red book with the standard's specifications, thus the name. Incidently, it is my understanding that quad was in the red book standard, but was never implemented. To be red book, it would have to be uncompressed PCM quad, not DTS.

The Quadfather

Generally, when folks mention "redbook", it is shorthand for stereo 16-bit, 44.1 kHz uncompressed PCM CD. The book that outlines the original CD specification has a red cover, thus the "redbook" terminology.

As an aside, the redbook specification actually includes a four channel mode that would allow for up to forty minutes of uncompressed four-channel 16/44.1 music. Since quad was pretty much a dead format when CD's first hit the market, nobody really went with the four-channel specification. I know that Lou Dorren was looking to market this format, but that was before DVD-A and SACD took off, so I imagine he abandoned the project.

Well, I spent more time last night doing some a-b listening. It's not "night & day" like Cai, but I heard a difference on the more acoustic tracks like "Never Going Back Again" F. Mac & "Forty Mile Town" by Eric Johnson.
Thanks, I'd never heard the term "Red Book"!

Back