DVD authoring issues - any ideas?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The drop down list for my installation of Surcode differs from the image you have posted.

Mine lists DTS Padded as *.dts and DTS Compact as *.cpt.

There is no option to create an *.dtp file.

It would appear from that I have been using a padded version all along.

oh, interesting - they must have changed the program and not the documentation. so if you've been creating .dts files then as you say the padded version has been in use all along.

very strange that DLP has the time display bug - but as you say it's cosmetic and the resulting disc is fine.

nice conversation :)

Whilst it is indeed absolutely spec legal to use 4 channels of 24/48 PCM (you can actually use 8 channels at 16/48) there has never been a player built that can read such discs. Multichannel PCM in DVD-Video is theoretically possible though, if you can hack the player firmware and/or the authorting software to accept such files (no abstraction layer tool will allow this) although Scenarist supports 48KHz and 96KHz PCM audio at 16-, 20-, and 24-bit resolutions up to 6 channels for 48 kHz but only 2 channels in 96 kHz. The problem is not that you cannot do this, only that no player I am aware of supports this.

I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to work so I did it anyways ;)

DVDSP is, the last I checked, an abstraction layer tool/authoring program. IF you create a 4 channel AIFF file using the Quicktime 7 program (it's in /Applications/Utilities on a OS X system) DVDSP *will* accept it.

I created a DVD-VIDEO disc with 3 audio tracks: 1) AC-3 4.0 (the usual 48K/16b) at 448Kb/s, 2) DTS 4.0 at 48K/24b (1.5Mb/s) and 3) LPCM 4.0 48K/24b.

Create a slide show with a still image per song, add an audio asset (usually the AC-3 one for compatibility) and then adjust the duration of each slide to the exact (and it's frame level accurate) time desired. THEN, "convert slideshow to track" and you'll end up with a video track with chapters / still image change points exactly where you want. Add your high-light/overlay file and BOV and voila - a DVD-VIDEO with buttons that can be navigated while the song plays and when the song changes the highlighted button changes (something I was never able to get working with either DAC or Chrome).

The Oppo 103 says "4.0 LPCM" so it's happy with the 3rd audio track. The Leawo player http://www.leawo.com/blu-ray-player/ is happy and does the right thing with no muss and no fuss.

All in all life is good.

OH, as it turns out DVDSP only accepts the .CPT form of DTS (it was enough of an itch to scratch that i bought the MASI DTS-CD/DVD encoder).

will I bother doing it again? Not likely - it's way too much work. End up spending a couple days fiddling all for half an hour of music playtime. Probably just stick with simple stills per song in Chrome and bail on all the fancies (much like the Beatles LOVE DVD-Audio disc - which was done using Chrome according to the credits).

Back