DVD Players That Ignore Watermark

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know where I can find a patch for the Yamaha DVD-S1800? Not available on Yamaha's site. I guess it's a modified version of the factory firmware?

Got it. I found the one for the DVD-S1800 too. I guess I burn the files to a CD and insert in player? Or do I have to use the menu?

Thanks again!

Have a look here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/SACD-R_firmwares/SACD-R.zip/download

This zip contains several modified firmwares, including but not limited to those intended for Yamaha S-657 / 1700 / 1800 / 2700.

Thanks for link. Got it to work for Pioneer 578A, but had to change file name.

Please see this post, (reposted below): https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...r-DV-578-Firmware-upgrade&p=137511#post137511

The 578A seems to play SACD-R so far. I've been playing a stereo SACD-R, have not tried MC yet. But there were adjustments to file name again in order for "upgrade" to work on this unit.

First I started here, (thanks for link): http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

There is a folder for Pioneer and in that folder is another titled "DV-578A" with a file name: B4EA2106.BIN. Burned as a Data CD with PIONEER as the title for this disc as with the others. Didn't recognize disc.

So, tried again with PIONEER as the name of disc except burned the .BIN file with a changed name that I knew would work B4BA2096.BIN. Loaded disc and got the "Press play to upgrade" and did so. Disc spit out immediately with a "LOADING" message on DVD player and "Upgrading" message on TV screen. After about 3 minutes TV went black for a second, then familiar Pioneer logo still there. Works! So far so good.

I'll report back when MC SACD-R works.

EDIT:

Got Multi-Channel SACD-R to work fine, but first had to change all the settings back to 5.1. Also turned "Downmix" off and Dolby & DTS to output as PCM with digital out off for set-up with Sansui QRX-6500 and extra center speaker using the RCA outs of Pioneer 578A.

And now for the Bad news...

After hitting "Home Menu" on Pioneer 578A then scrolling to "Options" and pressing "Display" on the remote we're back to Region 1 with version 2.0.5.

Would play watermarked DVD-A copy. Would NOT play Talking heads disc or Region 3 Japanese DVD-V. But it does play both Stereo and MC SACD-R fine.

This is the 2.0.9 file originally meant for the DV-575 UK model that made the Talking Heads disc work along with ignoring the DVD-A Watermark, although we did have issues (read this thread).

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv575/575-V2.09.zip

EDIT:

BTW to burn this no need for "MagicISO" or Nero. Just change file "DV575NEROIMAGE.nrg" to "DV575NEROIMAGE.iso" and burn as ISO with ImgBurn to a CD. You will have file named B4BA2096.BIN on disc.

EDIT 2:

A "shot in the dark" guess is this: If unit already has 2.0.9 installed and if what made the SACD-R work for 2.0.5 could be added to 2.0.9, then perhaps we would have it all. But first one would need to "flash" back to 2.0.9 or make sure unit has it already installed.

And now for the Bad news...

After hitting "Home Menu" on Pioneer 578A then scrolling to "Options" and pressing "Display" on the remote we're back to Region 1 with version 2.0.5.

Would play watermarked DVD-A copy. Would NOT play Talking heads disc or Region 3 Japanese DVD-V. But it does play both Stereo and MC SACD-R fine.

Have you tried the multi-region remote hack as described here:?

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/dv575.php?player=DV-575A&question=Multiregion

This is for Pioneer 575 but will probably get along with 578A too.

Have you tried the multi-region remote hack as described here:?

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/dv575.php?player=DV-575A&question=Multiregion

This is for Pioneer 575 but will probably get along with 578A too.

Thanks for info.

The link I posted in post #27 does much of it all except SACD-R playback. There is an issue with renaming the .BIN file depending on which software version is installed on Pioneer 578A DVD player in order for NTSC playback in the U.S. (see the QQ Pioneer 578A thread from link above in post #26). Straight out of the box if 1.x.x software is installed you use one file name and if 2.0.5 is installed you use another name and the the other file name for 1.x.x (2 flashes are necessary) in order to get your player "right" from 2.0.5 to 2.0.9.

Another issue is I had 2.0.9 installed perfect, but had to change SACD-R software to "B4BA2096.BIN" in order for it to work on this machine with this software. Perhaps if your player has 2.0.5 the SACD-R file name change may not be necessary, not sure.. But my unit did go from 2.0.9 to 2.0.5. after SACD-R upgrade. Everyone following this? ;) The SACD-R discs works fine, but the Talking Heads disc playback problem is there along with Region 1 being the only discs allowed to play.

I don't know how the SACD-R "upgrade" works, but if it could be added to the 2.0.9 software, it should be able to make one's machine playback the Talking Heads discs and be Region free as well as play SACD-R. There still might be the PAL/NTSC problems as figured out in the Pioneer thread, but perhaps changing file names might fix that as long as we have the SACD-R fix in the 2.0.9 software.

All we need is the "upgrade" added to 2.0.9 instead of 2.0.5 and the rest can be worked out by changing file names as per what a Pioneer 578A machine might need. At any rate, much thanks for the SACD-R "upgrade," it works great. I'm sure these are minor technicalities that just need to be figured out.

OK. Either I forgot or I never knew: What is this "watermark" and which discs are problems?

Kal

OK. Either I forgot or I never knew: What is this "watermark" and which discs are problems?

Kal

Hi Kal,

Some, if not most DVD-Audio discs have a digital "Watermark" on the Hi-Rez MLP files that is next to impossible to remove. When one makes an "exact" back up of of one's own DVD-A discs using a program like DVDFab's clone feature (discs are expensive to replace now, so the back-up!) and you attempt playback of copied disc the music stops at about 15 seconds because the DVD-A player recognizes a digital flag that this is a copy. So the work around is "flashing" one's player to ignore the watermark. Foobar2000 with right free ad-on will also play a DVD-Audio disc copy on one's Windows machine that contain the watermark, even ISO images of a DVD-A on one's hard drive. Oppo players ignore the watermark straight out of the box.

At the beginning of this thread are player's that either already ignore the DVD-A "Watermark" or will when one uses the proper "flash" for a particular unit. Some players like my Denon and Yamaha cannot be upgraded at this time with just a Data CD inserted into the unit.

Ah. Since it has to do with copying the discs, it is no wonder that I had not noticed. I've only copied 1 or 2 DVD-As and those only as an experiment. Thanks.

Kal

Ah. Since it has to do with copying the discs, it is no wonder that I had not noticed. I've only copied 1 or 2 DVD-As and those only as an experiment. Thanks.

Kal

JA has written about watermarking in several articles in the past. A little surprised you weren't aware of that.

JA has written about watermarking in several articles in the past. A little surprised you weren't aware of that.

Well, there is so much to this hobby and not everything everyone is interested in or has had the time for. Even Mods have a difficult time reading Every single post here, but we try.. :)

The Samsung HD841 will ignore the watermark if you install the firmware with the one I just had made.
It does:

Ignore watermark on DVD-A copies
Is region free
Has no HDCP
Plays SACD-R

If interested, let me know.
It does work.
Proven.

The Samsung HD841 will ignore the watermark if you install the firmware with the one I just had made.
It does:

Ignore watermark on DVD-A copies
Is region free
Has no HDCP
Plays SACD-R

If interested, let me know.
It does work.
Proven.
Yep. Just make sure you have a component video connection enabled until you can get to the setup screen.

Denon DVD-2910 - ignores lack of WM on DVD-A and SACD-R.
Denon DVD-2930CI - compliant with WM, does not play recorderd DVD-A or SACD-R.

Last edited:
Hi, does anyone have any idea if Pioneer BDP-LX55 ignores watermarks in DVD-Audio ?

Back