HiRez Poll Dylan, Bob - ANOTHER SIDE OF [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bob Dylan - ANOTHER SIDE OF BOB DYLAN

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-1385914-1357512478-4393.jpeg.jpg

R-1385914-1357512488-2201.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A great album, to be sure - one of my favorite early Dylan albums. But as a surround title? It's just him and a guitar. The "stereo" mix is barely in stereo as it is (in fact, I think it might be mono - haven't listened with headphones in awhile). Why they bothered to do this one in "surround" is beyond me, especially when there were so many later albums that would have greatly benefitted from it that weren't done. Gave it a six.

dprokopy said:
... Why they bothered to do this one in "surround" is beyond me, especially when there were so many later albums that would have greatly benefitted from it that weren't done....

You said it. Of all the Dylan's redone in surround, this one has the least impact (as in, pretty much, none). Meanwhile, Highway 61 Revisited , Desire and Planet Waves - - among others - - were released as stereo-only. Oh well... This is indeed a great album, just not a very good multi-channel one.

A '5,' but only because, as noted, as a surround title this doesn't have a load of things going on. BUT....it is unique in multichannel annals, if only because the original album was a 'might as well be mono' mix on the stereo edition, and the fact that there's real separation here is a boon for stereo collectors, if not a big deal for multichannel fanatics like us. For that reason alone it was a worthwhile release.

ED :)

So what exactly is in the rear channels... just ambience? I haven't opened mine yet. I may just keep it sealed and pick up the new MFSL SACD, but that one is definitely just stereo.

Sparse instrumentation, so 5.1 is largely wasted on this fine early Dylan album. However the music has never sounded this clear or immediate, and that is this mix's saving grace. Rate the mix a 7.

I noticed a number of errors in this mix as well as the other two Michael H Brauer mixes of Dylan (Bringing It All Back Home, Blonde on Blonde), if any of you want to give it a look and/or give your thoughts! I noticed that often extra audio was put in the back right channels of Another Side of Bob Dylan and Bringing It All Back Home and that all three seemed to suffer from particular elements not sharing the same polarity across their channels.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ging-it-all-back-home-blonde-on-blonde.34324/

Back