HiRez Poll Dylan, Bob - BLOOD ON THE TRACKS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bob Dylan - BLOOD ON THE TRACKS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-643696-1357197641-3792.jpeg.jpg

R-643696-1357197660-4432.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The reverse of STC: good surround, excellent performance.

One of my favorite albums, and possibly one of the most satisfying surround mixes, overall, I've heard. Acoustic guitars comin' in atcha from all different directions! Again, maintains the feel and ambience of the original mix, while still providing a discrete, natural-sounding surround field. It's probably no coincidence that this mix was done by Phil Ramone, who engineered the original sessions, and also produced/mixed/remixed one of my other favorite surround discs, Billy Joel's "The Stranger."

This disc alone makes me sad that apparently the Dylan surround project was so short-lived. Who would have guessed there was such surround potential with his work?

I listened to this again this morning. This is number 1 in my opinion, the best surround disc I own, regardless of format. It has also leaped over the other great Dylan albums as his best.

Chris

Bought this album back in '75 around the same time as PHYSICAL GRAFFITI. Dug 'em both a lot, and BOTT has stood up very well--only a handful of Dylan's '60s album are as good, a few better, perhaps, but he was never this intimate on a song-by-song basis before or since(hard to believe that a monstrosity like "Hurricane" came next), with an equal dose of reflection, regret, and(dare I say it)humility, even humanity. That 'protest singer' was long gone. Never get tired of this one, and the mix does it proud...:)

ED :)

Bought this album back in '75 around the same time as PHYSICAL GRAFFITI. Dug 'em both a lot, and BOTT has stood up very well--only a handful of Dylan's '60s album are as good, a few better, perhaps, but he was never this intimate on a song-by-song basis before or since(hard to believe that a monstrosity like "Hurricane" came next), with an equal dose of reflection, regret, and(dare I say it)humility, even humanity. That 'protest singer' was long gone. Never get tired of this one, and the mix does it proud...:)

This is the first version of this album I have ever owned. "Highway 61 Revisited" was always my favorite Dylan album and I never purchased any of the 70's albums until the SACD reissues and I purchased all of the Dylan SACD's. This album just didn't get any play at all among my friends in the 70's and I was only vaguely familiar with it.

Chris

Really? The New Hampshire and Massachussetts FM stations I could pick up played quite a bit from it. Of course "Tangled Up In Blue" was the AM single choice, but that got a lot of FM play too, along with "If You See Her, Say Hello," "Simple Twist of Fate," "Shelter From The Storm," "Idiot Wind" and "Lily, Rosemary" getting good action at the time. I suppose a lot had to do with where you were living, and what radio you were into, but this was a fave at the local college radio station(well, the guys there seemed to dig a lot of hip stuff--probably still true today). Dylan always had a FM constituency, even during the dreaded SELF PORTRAIT period(bootlegs of The Basement Tapes became rampant, and got some play along with the released stuff).

I threw this in the 3910 to spin for a Dylan fan, and he was blown away. He had no idea this was ever released in surround, and he's a bif Dylan fan. What a shame this series was stopped mid-stream, but what a treasure to have the first box come out at all. Sure, they all were not surround, but at the rate Sony was going, we were lucky to get what we got.

A pure 10 from me! :D

I still prefer "Slow Train Coming" - the best of the 5.1 Dylan SACD's i've heard so far (I've 4 of the 6).

here the surround mix, the sound quality, the production, the feel of the music, even BD's voice are all great just a touch short of the awesome-ness in all of those areas of the STC SACD.

harmonica's a teeny bit too toppy in places too but the guitars are nice and warm and his voice is full of intonation/colour, this is still an excellent disc and of course the music is timeless, it's just STC is SOoooooo wonderful.. not even the dream team of Phil Ramone and Elliot Scheiner could elevate this one above the STC SACD for me!

an "8".

Last edited:
11. The BEST 70's Dylan album, although Desire in SQ is nearly as good. I've owned the LP with original back cover, re-done LP, CD, 1/2 speed LP and the SACD. It is THE version to own.

51NVxbiasbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...felt a little uneasy when she bent down to tie the lace of my shoe...:bounce

11. The BEST 70's Dylan album, although Desire in SQ is nearly as good. I've owned the LP with original back cover, re-done LP, CD, 1/2 speed LP and the SACD. It is THE version to own.

51NVxbiasbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...felt a little uneasy when she bent down to tie the lace of my shoe...:bounce

the M/C SACD is the best version of BotT's, Linda?

why the 'eck Sony didn't just put the Quad of "Desire" on the SACD release is beyond me!? I friggin' love that album! :(

Desire, Planet Waves and Nashville Skyline were all done in Quad, yet they appeared as 2ch SACD's. I can understand Planet Waves, since it was originally released on Geffen's Asylum label. The masters for it and Before the Flood were later purchased by Columbia. So, it' possible that CBS never received the Quad masters for that.

the M/C SACD is the best version of BotT's, Linda?

Truly wonderful from start to finish - no fault whatsoever, the mix is so warm and expansive. It makes me forget any other Dylan surround wrongs...I don't care because we got this.

This is one of my favorite Dylan albums and this 5.1 mix really does it justice. Beautiful, warm sound, dicreet surround without being in-your-face or changing the feeling of the original mix. I give it a 10.

Back