HiRez Poll Dylan, Bob - SLOW TRAIN COMING [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bob Dylan - SLOW TRAIN COMING

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters
The rears are weak, not discrete at all, lets call it ambient surround.

I disagree. This mix isn't quite as 'surroundy' as Blood On The Tracks or his three quads, but there is some unique stuff happening in the rears - isolated keyboard in "Gotta Serve Somebody", horns in "Precious Angel" and "Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking", etc. I could understand some folks wanting to boost the rears on this one, but for me once you really crank it up everything seems to fall into place.

I disagree. This mix isn't quite as 'surroundy' as Blood On The Tracks or his three quads, but there is some unique stuff happening in the rears - isolated keyboard in "Gotta Serve Somebody", horns in "Precious Angel" and "Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking", etc. I could understand some folks wanting to boost the rears on this one, but for me once you really crank it up everything seems to fall into place.
Yeah, I heard that also but not good enough for me. If I don't hear discrete from top to bottom then it is not in my opinion. I don't have the time for an occasional horn or piano, hopefully you agree, but I completely disagree with your true but very occasional discrete mix.
Glad I could revive a thread started in 2004 and ended in 2014.

yep, i've never understood the somewhat lukewarm response to this one, it sounds great and there's a hundred 5.1's i could pluck out that are infinitely worse

I'll go with an 8. Sound quality is great. There are some nice surround moments, but quite a lot of the mid portion of the album could do with being a bit more discrete. It's a little handbraked in that mid zone. If it had been mixed by Elliot Scheiner you'd feel there would be more going on... Still, there are defo some highlights - the opening track ' You Gotta Serve Somebody' has some nice keys elements to the rears. 'Do Right To Me Baby' sounds good too...

My favourite track on the album is 'Man Gave Names To All The Animals'... It really cracks me up with the lyrics... Always leaves me hanging right at the end, but I guess that was the point! 🐍😂

Back