HiRez Poll Dylan, Bob - SLOW TRAIN COMING [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bob Dylan - SLOW TRAIN COMING

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-4151072-1356976452-2676.jpeg.jpg

R-4151072-1356976472-2027.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent surround mix, and a good performance (Mark Knopfler giutar is always amazing). Not a must-have but definitively a disc worth checking for the casual listener too.

If it was any warmer sounding, I could turn my furnace off! Lovely sound, and great mix. Preachy at times, but hey, that was what he was into. 9

Very warm, pleasing sound for one of Bobby's better '70s albums. Much thought was put into the mix, and it shows throughout! Vivid, immediate, intimate...what more could one ask for? A '9' here....

ED:)

the sound on this is so lovely and smooth and rich and analogue-sounding! just a beautifully produced album for me. the mix is a bit kooky but so is the material and the artist (at around this time in particular!).. with all that said and as the best of the Dylan M/C SACD's in my collection, I'll give it an "8".

8. I'm a Dylan completist. I HATED Saved, the album that followed this. I loved Shot of Love, the last of his "Jesus period" albums. Perhaps Shot is his most underrated album. OK, back to this one. The fidelity was very nice on the 2ch LP back in the day. Perhaps it sounded better back then 'cause I got a promo when I worked for CBS. The eye was always watching!! The surround mix is nice, some of the material is a bit thin (hence the 8), but what shines truly does. When You Gonna Wake Up and Gotta Serve Somebody are great tracks. Knopfler is an added bonus. If you like Dylan at all, you NEED the SACD box.

You can call me Linda, or you can call me Lin, you can call me Betty, or you can call me yin...or, Betty when you call me, you can call me Al. (Oh, wait, that's some other guy.)

8. I'm a Dylan completist. I HATED Saved, the album that followed this. I loved Shot of Love, the last of his "Jesus period" albums. Perhaps Shot is his most underrated album. OK, back to this one. The fidelity was very nice on the 2ch LP back in the day. Perhaps it sounded better back then 'cause I got a promo when I worked for CBS. The eye was always watching!! The surround mix is nice, some of the material is a bit thin (hence the 8), but what shines truly does. When You Gonna Wake Up and Gotta Serve Somebody are great tracks. Knopfler is an added bonus. If you like Dylan at all, you NEED the SACD box.

You can call me Linda, or you can call me Lin, you can call me Betty, or you can call me yin...or, Betty when you call me, you can call me Al. (Oh, wait, that's some other guy.)

You can call me Al..! Although my name is Adam.. so you can call me Ad..!

sadly the upcoming 25th Anniversary of Graceland, even the bells and whistles (and everything but scarf, marbles and the kitchen sink!) £100 boxset, which has not one but TWO dvds (!) still doesn't even have an advanced res stereo of the album, let alone a 5.1 remix.

just another "missed opportunity"... :(

You ain't wrong!

You can call me Al..! Although my name is Adam.. so you can call me Ad..!

sadly the upcoming 25th Anniversary of Graceland, even the bells and whistles (and everything but scarf, marbles and the kitchen sink!) £100 boxset, which has not one but TWO dvds (!) still doesn't even have an advanced res stereo of the album, let alone a 5.1 remix.

just another "missed opportunity"... :(

Yes, but if a 5.1 mix were included in the box, there would be that many fewer copies that Columbia (or whoever Paul leases his stuff to in the future) will be able to sell later on when they decide to market it in surround. Cha-ching-cha-ching!!! Even digital cash registers are very musical.

very sad but very true.. Universal are probably eyeing up a deal for 5 years time with PS right now, preparing a new 5.1 mix for the Graceland 30th anniversary edition.. and will end up canning it all. :(

Listening to this again, I think I was a bit mean giving this an "8". It deserves a "9" for the sonics and mix.

Gorgeous stuff and easily the best multi-channel SACD of Bob Dylan of those I've heard so far.

Still wish Sony had stuck the quad of Desire on the SACD but I can't dock this disc for that stupid decision! :D

The clarity on this album is amazing. Fantastic recording.

I voted 7. This SACD 5.1 music is a ten. I have heard people complain of Dylan and his new Christian beliefs (Born Again) but I find this disc superb in song writing and music. Highly enjoyable.
The 7 vote is more for the weak surround, which is more 4.1 than 5.1, the center channel is barely audible, in fact turning the center off is not a problem.
The rears are weak, not discrete at all, lets call it ambient surround. I don't own a stereo version of this release and would be interested to have one as it may be possible the stereo would be better than the surround?

Back