HiRez Poll Dylan, Bob - TIME OUT OF MIND [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Bob Dylan - TIME OUT OF MIND

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I don’t have an Atmos system so I’m not going to vote. Listening to it in 5.1 it’s pretty disappointing. I’m not expecting swirling quad effects, but it sounds to me that there’s just a bit of ambience in the rears. If anything the stereo mix sounds much more expansive.

I don’t have an Atmos system so I’m not going to vote. Listening to it in 5.1 it’s pretty disappointing. I’m not expecting swirling quad effects, but it sounds to me that there’s just a bit of ambience in the rears. If anything the stereo mix sounds much more expansive.
Is your system properly calibrated? On my 7.1 set-up, there is a very discernible improvement over the stereo mix. And not just because the Atmos-mix is less compressed.

Is your system properly calibrated? On my 7.1 set-up, there is a very discernible improvement over the stereo mix. And not just because the Atmos-mix is less compressed.
Well it’s certainly possible properly calibrated for the Mike Oldfield version and pretty much everything else. I could play around with the settings perhaps but that kind of defeats the purpose

I could play around with the settings perhaps but that kind of defeats the purpose
Is it difficult to change the channel levels on your setup? Mine are easy and I have no problems changing the levels from song to song even. Think of how different each mixing studios are from each other, and how different they are from YOUR room.

Is it difficult to change the channel levels on your setup? Mine are easy and I have no problems changing the levels from song to song even. Think of how different each mixing studios are from each other, and how different they are from YOUR room.
I guess my overall point was: on the evening I was listening I played 4 or 5 surround releases in a row in 5.1. Of them, the Dylan was the least impressive using my regular settings.

Straight off the disc the Atmos mix sounds pretty good to me bitstreamed from the Oppo 103 to the Oinker (Onkyo) or from the .iso rip played back on my pc bitstreamed again, to the Oinker.
Unlike many, I almost never listen to stereo mixes on a disc that contains surround music. If there's an Atmos mix then that is what I listen to.
I had noted earlier I gave it an 8, which to me is pretty good. If I rate something 8 or better then it's a keeper for me.

I voted a strong 9. The Atmos mix sounds exactly how I would expect a Dylan title to sound mixed will. Excellent fidelity and I really enjoy the 2022 remix. The surrounds highlight some of the fine Organ playing and there's a really nice separation between the guitar parts. As others have said, the most successful Dylan surround mix yet.

I give it a solid 9. A highly active or discreet mix probably would not have done this recording any huge favors. It is my favorite late Dylan album and the original stereo mix is impossible to beat, but this makes a fresh listening experience and perspective to a very familiar album.

Finally got around to spinning this one. I'm listening to it downmixed to 5.1 and there is plenty of discrete stuff happening in the rear speakers. I wasn't knocked out by the fidelity, but it certainly wasn't bad either. Mix is quite pleasing. I'm not a Dylan fan-boy. I like a lot of his stuff but have never considered him to be all that the music press makes him out to be. However, the songs here are uniformly excellent. (Well, at sixteen minutes, the last song does drag on a bit, but otherwise it's a strong selection of tunes, especially for a guy who was thirty-five years into his career). Need to give it a few more listens, but it's at least an 8, maybe higher. (y)

This has been tucked at the bottom.of the pile waiting for me to be feeling that Dylan vibe and 3/4s of a bottle of wine down I have finally put this on. It certainly much better than I was expecting I am very hit anx miss on Bob. This has some nice tastefull use of the rears. It's a low key vibe of an album and has quite a nice surround feel.
Never going yo be surround album.of the year but surprisingly good.

I gave this a 9.

It was the pre-order of this that promoted me to finally delve into Dylan’s music after pretty-much ignoring him for decades. So now I have a mountain of CDs and box sets to work my way through (on top of other mountains of CDs and box sets.)

I had never heard this album and had no expectations. The only thing I had heard was the extended mix of the the Dreamin’ of You outtake which I love. Wish that had been on the original album for an Atmos mix on this disc.

As some of you have mentioned, the Atmos isn’t wild. I’d say it’s tasteful given the music. Cold Irons Bound is a highlight for me.

This is an album where I wish I had a recliner in the middle of my setup. To me this is an album where you put your phone and all other distractions aside, lean back and focus on the music.

I’d love to know how this became an SDE title. I’m glad it is, but it’s not something I would have thought would be high on a record company’s list of Atmos projects. If this is an opening for SDE to get more Dylan music in Atmos, bring it on.

I tried to listen to the stereo mix after Atmos but didn’t last long. Not because I think the stereo is bad, it just feels like a huge step down going from Atmos to stereo. For me, a stereo mix is for casual listening in the car or if it’s the only mix available. There’s too much surround music on my mountain piles to want to spend time with stereo mixes.

Back