HiRez Poll Dylan, Bob - TIME OUT OF MIND [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Bob Dylan - TIME OUT OF MIND

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new Blu-Ray Audio Disc of the album "Time Out Of Mind" by Bob Dylan.
This Blu-Ray Audio Disc is only available though SDE.com: Bob Dylan / Time Out Of Mind (2022 Remix) limited edition SDE-exclusive blu-ray audio
Originally released in 1997, the album has been newly remixed in Dolby Atmos from renowned mixing engineer Michael Brauer.
The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

(y) :) (n)

dylan_ocard_front1500_1024x1024.jpg

dylan_ocard_back_1500_1024x1024.jpg

The stereo tracks sound too compressed for my ears, but listening to the Atmos tracks folded down to stereo rescues this release for me and has preserved much more of the dynamic range.

I found the same with the previous Xpropaganda SDE release.

I’d rather the high res stereo tracks were better mastered but the surround audio at least provides another choice, usually easier on the ears and not mastered so ‘loud’.

I am only half way through the Atmos mix and am pleasantly surprised how much better Time out of Mind sounds in Dolby Atmos than the original stereo mix. I haven’t heard the stereo mix on the blu ray yet. If you are on the fence, the new Atmos mix is worth purchasing and you can put your name on the waiting list at SDE and hopefully get a copy. Time out of Mind - is a 10 so far. Paul at SDE, please consider doing a Atmos mix of Oh Mercy.

Just finished listening to the Atmos mix of Time out of MInd. This is by far the best surround mix of any Bob Dylan album. The Dolby Atmos mix has many tasteful discrete elements coming out of all speakers. I am listening with a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos system. I also noted that this is not a set and forget it surround mix. The Dolby Atmos mix is much more adventurous than I expected.
If you like Bob Dylan, you will be very happy IMO. I voted a 10

The stereo tracks sound too compressed for my ears, but listening to the Atmos tracks folded down to stereo rescues this release for me and has preserved much more of the dynamic range.

I found the same with the previous Xpropaganda SDE release.

I’d rather the high res stereo tracks were better mastered but the surround audio at least provides another choice, usually easier on the ears and not mastered so ‘loud’.
Have you listened to the Dolby Atmos mix yet? Not the folded down to stereo mix. What is your opinion of the multichannel Dolby Atmos mix.

Reactions: GOS
I just received this disc yesterday and listened to 3/4 of the album. I do not have a dolby atmos system; I listen in 5.1. I also didn't listen to it at high volume, just my regular listening volume. In any case, the clarity of the sound is fantastic but I was underwhelmed by the Dolby Atmos mix. I'm certain it sounds better on a Dolby Atmos system, but on my 5.1 system, meh...

Well Mr. Dylan and crew made it in a few minutes ago and are all set up and jamming away! I Gotta say I am enjoying the show so far. The music is quite good and the ATMOS/surround mix sounds pretty good to me, I don't have the ideal ATMOS setup. Don't have wall or ceiling mounted ATMOS speakers, just a pair of Sony SSCSE speakers sitting on top of my Infinity mains up front in a 7.1,2 configuration. Even so I am really enjoying the mix, much more than I was expecting to, just on what I've listened to so far I'm feeling like this will deserve defiantly a 9 and even possibly a 10, will need a few more listens but yeah, very nice indeed (y).

Last edited:
Got the disc today. Still listening.

Dylan's songwriting always appealed to me, even when the music didn't always deliver for me. But over the years it's grown on me.
I give it a good solid 8, based on the mix being less muddy and clear vocals. Lyrics like only Dylan can deliver and when I'm in the mood, I'm right there with him in his musings. Ah, the years, they do go by so quickly, Bob.

I'm on the third listen of the Atmos. The mix gets better with each listen. But it does not go crazy and wild, nothing bouncing all over the place, which is fitting for a Dylan album.
On some songs when the rears kick in good, it's not a blast out but more of a fade in then oh boy.
I'll stick with a solid 8.
Good stuff.

I listened Yesterday the full Atmos album.

I've never been fan of Bob Dylan, just knowing some of his hits when listened on the radio in my youth. But I bought this SDE disc, for the Atmos and for the exclusive. I listened previously the Stereo album to be prepared for the Atmos, and my feeling was not changed too much.

But the Atmos version gives me an additional instrumental enjoyment, clarity, instruments separation. I liked it.

Being a non-native english, It's difficult to me to follow or enjoy the lyrics, so I'm more for the instrumental sound, and the vocals beeing another kind of instrument.

Good Atmos mix.

I just received this disc yesterday and listened to 3/4 of the album. I do not have a dolby atmos system; I listen in 5.1. I also didn't listen to it at high volume, just my regular listening volume. In any case, the clarity of the sound is fantastic but I was underwhelmed by the Dolby Atmos mix. I'm certain it sounds better on a Dolby Atmos system, but on my 5.1 system, meh...
After a bit more listening (and yes, the disc is playing in 5.1) I'm thinking that this is one of those mixes that must be heard in Atmos to be fully appreciated. The 5.1 that I'm hearing isn't that exciting at all, it does sound better than any previous release of the album but there isn't enough happening to make the mix interesting to me.

There are a handful of playful moments, including panning, in Atmos. But this is mainly a static mix of fairly constant parts.
Sort of that "in the studio with the band" sound.
Suits me.

I actually prefer the "sound" of the original album. Hearing everything naked is cool, but this can't replace the original mix, for me.

Listened to the Atmos mix in 7.1, I found it to be reasonably subtle use of surround, but a satisfying and enjoyable laidback mix. Plenty of definition and cohesive surround to make this a strong recommendation, 9 for me as the surround mix was appropriate and restrained and a great enhancement.

I voted 10.
How unfortunate so many QQ members do not have a Dolby Atmos set up.
I listened to the Atmos mix and was just perfect, an immersive bubble of sound, nothing in your face. The equal level of all speakers in this bubble was highly injoyable. I listen to Dylan a lot and this is what I call easy listening.
My rig, 5 on the floor, 3 subs, and 4 in the tops. Room size 12' X 14'.
I purchased the 5 CD stereo box set Bob Dylan-Fragments (Time Out Of Mind Sessions 1996-1997) released 1/27/2023 and have enjoyed that, but when SDE announced a ATMOS mix of TIME OUT OF MIND I was amazed and thrilled. Now to listen in Atmos, it certainly is the best of both worlds.
In the SDE numberd series this #8 is second to my favorite so far, Ten Years After #7.
Thank you @PaulatSDE for two back to back super hits.

Last edited:
I never got into Bob in my youth.
He just didn't do anything for this young gun.
But as I've advanced in years, I can see how his appeal is there for quite a discerning audience.
This album is really growing on me.
The musicians are superb and I like the subdued mix which fits the music style perfectly.
A well deserved 9

This is "10" alright - I love the Atmos mix! Only drawback, is that this is the first SDE disc I've purchased, which doesn't automatically default to the multichannel mix, upon loading. The authoring of the disc forces you you to select audio from the menu first. So I have to fire up the projector first. Darn.

This release is a great example of how atmos can add to a release without being super in your face. The sound is excellent and feels like being in a lounge with Dylan and co. An enjoyable listen, though I don't know how often I will be reaching for this one. Need to be in the right mood for a full listen. I vote 8 for now.

Now where did they get the additional tracks to make this?

Back