DYNACO QD-1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't this the very early device that creates the carver effect that you can do yourself by connecting the rear channels out of phase?
Marc

The OOPS effect: out of phase stereo. Termed the Haffler effect years ago.

I think I remember reading in an old stereo magazine about dynaco having one of those synthesized quad setups, where you put one speaker in between the stereo pair, and only one speaker in the rear. I found that very interesting, because that's pretty much what pro-logic is. I might have a copy of that article somewhere, I might have to dig that up now and scan it in.

The three speaker setups were mentioned often in the magazines in the 1969-70 timeframe. The Dynaco QD1 Quadaptor appeared in 1971 ($30) and suggested 4 speakers.

The same circuit was also added to their stereo amplifier to create the SCA-80Q version.

Aren't Carver and Haffler the same guy? Have you ever seen them together? Think about it. Its simply not possible that I called the Haffler effect the Carver effect, is it? Has to do with the Carver Holograph preamp perhaps? Which one of those two guys is the holograph?
Marc

Got one of these today just for fun, I will try it out in my car eventually.
20200921_113345.jpg

20200921_113442.jpg

I have one of those. Someone gave it to me in 2012.

I usually built my own speaker matrix decoders. I have at least 5. One of them was built for a 70-volt line system.

Back