Dynamic Range plugin for Foobar. Has a replacement come along yet?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spent some time in an intermittently one-eared situation that became annoying enough to drive me to see a doctor for the first time in something like 13 years (I know, I know!).

Yesterday a very nice nurse jammed a firehose in the offending ear and everything is back to normal. Our bodies can at times be disgusting and/or frustrating.

Though I guess I can gloat about being 61 and having 77 LDL and 45 HDL...
I guess they just need a good flushing out sometimes; I'm wondering if I might need that as well, maybe get another couple K out of it on the up swing :unsure:

I guess they just need a good flushing out sometimes; I'm wondering if I might need that as well, maybe get another couple K out of it on the up swing :unsure:

Well, I'll tell the more or less whole story just in case someone else is in the same boat:

When I was 12 or so, I'd occasionally get a "full" feeling in at least one ear. It's so long ago now that I can't even remember if it was one ear or both, just that it was an annoying feeling that would come and go. I don't think it actually affected my hearing. I asked my parents to take me to the doctor, but it never happened.

At some point in my thirties it started happening again and since I was by then a big boy and could take myself places, I had a doctor check it out and was told it was just allergies. In fact, for a long time pretty much everything that sent me to a doctor wound up being diagnosed as allergies, so after a while I just kinda gave up on bothering (I'm fortunate in that my health is generally good and I have the luxury of ignoring it).

This time out, the problem was limited to my left ear but would come and go. Some days I wouldn't notice it at all, other days that ear would be almost completely deaf. But it seemed to get much worse while lying down in bed, so again I just figured it was allergies and hoped it would subside.

At times it was also much worse after showering, which in hindsight was a pretty big clue.

Anyway, I recently had to consult a periodontist, who lectured me about my doctor avoidance. I'd managed to keep away for so long that it had, frankly, become phobic, but that's another story. Between the lecture and the fact that I really didn't want to lose my multichannel hearing, I finally made an appointment and had someone peer in there. They found...stuff. I still don't know why lying down made it worse, but apparently the post-shower issue was because the architecture caused water to get trapped behind the blockage and unable to get out.

But here's the happy ending: They made a follow-up appointment for the next week and sent me home with a piece of paper telling me to put mineral oil in the affected ear twice a day and leave it there for a few minutes. It made the deafness even worse and more consistent at first, but after the third day I used a bulb-type ear syringe I'd had forever to squirt some warm water in there and...well, some of you might be eating, so I'll just say that it...produced results.

Yesterday I went back to have the pro take a whack. She looked in there and said there was still trouble, so she got to work. It was painless, not even uncomfortable and very, very low-tech: She had a special kind of syringe which she simply filled with warm water, squirted in there a few times, looked again through the otoscope and repeated until everything was gone.

On the way home, I stopped at the pharmacy and found exactly the same kind of syringe and bought one...because, after exiting the office, I realized that I could now hear slightly better out of my left ear than my right! I figure I'll just do the same process myself at home.

I just spent some time in an intermittently one-eared situation that became annoying enough to drive me to see a doctor for the first time in something like 13 years (I know, I know!).

Yesterday a very nice nurse jammed a firehose in the offending ear and everything is back to normal. Our bodies can at times be disgusting and/or frustrating.

Though I guess I can gloat about being 61 and having 77 LDL and 45 HDL...

I feel for you, brother. Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. (I don't think my cholesterol numbers are quite as good as yours, though...)

As an ex-smoker I had ear issues all my life... until I quit. I knew as a teenager that I was allergic to tobacco but didn't know how it affected me. Turns out it affected my ears and how full they got. When I quit it went away in a matter of a couple weeks. As a kid, my Mother smoked and so did many of the adults around me. Regrettably my Mother never got an ear syringe, she used bobby pins and Q-Tips to clean me out. I now have permanent eardrum damage and tinnitus. I am not going on an anti tobacco rant, rather a "don't stick anything bigger than your thumb in your ears" rant. I smoked until I no longer enjoyed it. Now I can hear AND spend more on music.

Well, I'll tell the more or less whole story just in case someone else is in the same boat:

When I was 12 or so, I'd occasionally get a "full" feeling in at least one ear. It's so long ago now that I can't even remember if it was one ear or both, just that it was an annoying feeling that would come and go. I don't think it actually affected my hearing. I asked my parents to take me to the doctor, but it never happened.

At some point in my thirties it started happening again and since I was by then a big boy and could take myself places, I had a doctor check it out and was told it was just allergies. In fact, for a long time pretty much everything that sent me to a doctor wound up being diagnosed as allergies, so after a while I just kinda gave up on bothering (I'm fortunate in that my health is generally good and I have the luxury of ignoring it).

This time out, the problem was limited to my left ear but would come and go. Some days I wouldn't notice it at all, other days that ear would be almost completely deaf. But it seemed to get much worse while lying down in bed, so again I just figured it was allergies and hoped it would subside.

At times it was also much worse after showering, which in hindsight was a pretty big clue.

Anyway, I recently had to consult a periodontist, who lectured me about my doctor avoidance. I'd managed to keep away for so long that it had, frankly, become phobic, but that's another story. Between the lecture and the fact that I really didn't want to lose my multichannel hearing, I finally made an appointment and had someone peer in there. They found...stuff. I still don't know why lying down made it worse, but apparently the post-shower issue was because the architecture caused water to get trapped behind the blockage and unable to get out.

But here's the happy ending: They made a follow-up appointment for the next week and sent me home with a piece of paper telling me to put mineral oil in the affected ear twice a day and leave it there for a few minutes. It made the deafness even worse and more consistent at first, but after the third day I used a bulb-type ear syringe I'd had forever to squirt some warm water in there and...well, some of you might be eating, so I'll just say that it...produced results.

Yesterday I went back to have the pro take a whack. She looked in there and said there was still trouble, so she got to work. It was painless, not even uncomfortable and very, very low-tech: She had a special kind of syringe which she simply filled with warm water, squirted in there a few times, looked again through the otoscope and repeated until everything was gone.

On the way home, I stopped at the pharmacy and found exactly the same kind of syringe and bought one...because, after exiting the office, I realized that I could now hear slightly better out of my left ear than my right! I figure I'll just do the same process myself at home.

Well, this stuff doesn't have much to with DR or FOOBAR but since we have already strayed.....

It was a Saturday morning 1971 & I had a date & tickets for a Jethro Tull concert that night. I wanted to hear the show really, really good. As a little kid my mom would sometimes clean my ear canals with a wet Q Tip & soap. As a grown up kid I thought this would be a good idea to do again having been many years. To my surprise both ears were completely plugged up. I could hear almost nothing! And I was wobbly off balance. Fortunately my mom worked for a doctor & he made a special trip to his office to take a look at me.

He pulled out the biggest syringe I'd ever seen & filled with warm water. A few gushes later I could hear better than ever with both ears. It was like I'd been healed at an Evangelical tent meeting. I heard the concert really, really, good that night. And post concert date night made it all together an unforgettable day.

So a few times a year I get out the Debrox & self treat. It doesn't help with the tinnitus but it definitely crisps up the high end. And just barely improves low level sensitivity. So maybe it does have a bit to do with dynamic range.

As an ex-smoker I had ear issues all my life... until I quit. I knew as a teenager that I was allergic to tobacco but didn't know how it affected me. Turns out it affected my ears and how full they got.

Iā€˜m an on and off smoker (currently on as Iā€™m doing some renovations here, well thatā€™s my excuse..). I never realised my ear wax was actually nicotine!!!

So a few times a year I get out the Debrox & self treat. It doesn't help with the tinnitus but it definitely crisps up the high end. And just barely improves low level sensitivity. So maybe it does have a bit to do with dynamic range.

The advice I was just given is to put 2-3 drops of mineral oil in each ear weekly. My knee-jerk was that it would have a negative effect on hearing, but it doesn't appear to.

Iā€˜m an on and off smoker (currently on as Iā€™m doing some renovations here, well thatā€™s my excuse..). I never realised my ear wax was actually nicotine!!!
Of course, I know that one, itā€™s a Plattersā€™ song-

They asked me how I knew
My true love was true
I of course replied
Something here inside cannot be denied
They said "someday you'll find all who love are blind"
When your heart's on fire,
You must realize, smoke gets in your ears
So I chaffed them and I gaily laughed
To think they could doubt my love
Yet today my love has flown away,
I am without my love