DynaQuad for bedroom system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
My old Pioneer SX-2300 stereo receiver has a speaker matrix option (B speakers [are supposed to] become DynaQuad signals when Surround is selected) but it isn't working, so I tried the most basic DynaQuad connection.

I'm using my old Polk Audio computer speakers (I made an adapter to convert speaker wires to a stereo mini jack) and connected the wires to L+ and R+ (A speakers), it works and the volume from the (surround channel) computer speakers is comparable to the (now front channel) Polk Monitor 4 speakers.

My plan is to have 1 surround sound system in my basement and 2 upstairs, this system and another in a rearranged media room that handles (UHD)Blu-ray, MCH SACD and just for fun, HD-DVD and VHS (w/DPL decoding).

Kirk Bayne

Early on, in the early seventies, I had the Hafler setup in my small living room (I still have the little box I put the centralized circuitry in) and even it was much more satisfying than just two channel.

Doug

I tried my Sound and Vision test DVD (DD 5.1, 6.1 and DTS 5.1, 6.1) played thru my Sony Blu-ray player set to downmix to Dolby Surround, DynaQuad provides fair directional accuracy.

A VHS DS encoded movie also had fair directionality.

Time to get out my soldering iron, tin the speakers wires etc. and make this a permanent setup.

(I wish DynaQuad had been promoted more during the Quad era, Audio stores could have at least made some money by selling 1 or 2 more speakers to Stereo system buyers)

Kirk Bayne

My old Pioneer SX-2300 stereo receiver has a speaker matrix option (B speakers [are supposed to] become DynaQuad signals when Surround is selected) but it isn't working, so I tried the most basic DynaQuad connection.

I'm using my old Polk Audio computer speakers (I made an adapter to convert speaker wires to a stereo mini jack) and connected the wires to L+ and R+ (A speakers), it works and the volume from the (surround channel) computer speakers is comparable to the (now front channel) Polk Monitor 4 speakers.

My plan is to have 1 surround sound system in my basement and 2 upstairs, this system and another in a rearranged media room that handles (UHD)Blu-ray, MCH SACD and just for fun, HD-DVD and VHS (w/DPL decoding).

Kirk Bayne

Three surround sound set ups. That's pretty sweet Kirk. I don't mean to be presumptuous but as I think we live with in easy driving distance maybe consider a meet up post-pandemic. You would be most welcome at my humble abode.

Only one surround set up at my place but I also use a DynaQuad add on. My corner speakers fill the front 2/3 of a 13'x25' room. Exactly in between the nrear speaks is a couch. That's not the sweet spot just for casual enjoyment. Problem is there is no rear surround when on the couch. Behind the couch is a credenza PC work station table top & I have 2, 6.5" 2 way BIC speakers there. They are hooked up a la DynaQuad to the regular rear ch speakers. Switch on/off controlled. In other words I am "decoding" the rear chs. It works surprisingly well putting just the right amount of depth behind anyone sitting on the couch.

Tried the Synergy QS encoded CD thru my 3 speaker DynaQuad system recently, there were some good surround effects.

Also been watching my VHS HiFi recordings of DS encoded Enterprise (from H&I), again, the surround effects were good.

Kirk Bayne

Back