Music DVD Poll Eagles - Farewell Tour: Live From Melbourne [2 Discs]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD Video of the Eagles Farewell Tour I

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
To kick off this new section in the surround poll area, which will be moderated by Neil Wilkes, we start off with this DVD that has, IMHO, an excellent surround DTS track.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great DVD. Great selection of songs, and the surround is one of the best live mixes i have heard. I gave it a 9, it is not quite a 10 {but close}. It was very bright {a lot of treble} to me, but sounded great once i turned the treble down. Glad to have a copy, and i am sure i will buy thier next Farewell Tour {II}, if they release one. :D (y) :)

Great sound, video and performance - a 9. I mostly skipped over the new songs, but what I heard made my believe that they are setting themselves up for a permanent lounge gig in Vegas.

Great sound and picture, I give it a 9 only because they need to have more new material on the disc, most of the songs were on the Hell Freezes Over DVD. The recording and surround mixes are excellent. The engineer Elliot Scheiner recorded and mixed a master piece, it is rare to hear such quality in a live concert, it sounds as close to a studio recording as possible.
I hope when they release a follow up in a few years they will have more new material.

I have the Hell Freezes Over DVD and like it this is a must. If I close my eyes I can imagine the Eagles as they were and still are. Strange comment I know. Forget there age, they produce with a maturity and tonal sound that lasts. Fantastic set and fantastic music. Joe Walsh may slurr his words when he talks (when he wears the hat camera) but gosh the guy can play.
Bill

My girlfriend got this one for me for Christmas. We needed to have Christmas early to suit her daughter's schedule and I opened it tonight and we played it and we both were just amazed. I thought "Hell Freezes Over" was great despite never being a big Eagles fan. After this, I am going to have to admit I have become a big fan. The entire production is first rate and the guys are all in fine form. DTS audio, mix, and video quality are all exceptional for the format. A solid 9 here, I love this concert and I love this disc.

Chris

Again, I feel the same way about this release that I do about Fagen and Steely Dan surround releases. Technically great, musically a snoozzzzzzzze fest.

I live in Melbourne...I was there...this dvd is alot better than the P.A. system they used..

The concert had alot of solo stuff...which to me is a snoozefest...I'd much rather a concert from the original quartet doing the first 3 lp's...but no real chance of that happening...

Anyway this dvd has awesome 5.1 sound and production......be nice if there was some soul...(emotion and feeling other than Joe Walsh acting like a partially rehabilitated heavy drinker)

And only the Eagles could take James Gang songs and suck the life out of them. Walk Away is limp and lifeless compared to the original.

Anyway this dvd has awesome 5.1 sound and production......be nice if there was some soul...(emotion and feeling other than Joe Walsh acting like a partially rehabilitated heavy drinker)

I am sure Joe is a bright guy, but you would never know by watching his on-stage antics. He is far from the only rock star to have drinking or drug problems and it is hardly worth mentioning during a concert. He wasn't doing much other than his couple of solo career songs and that may have been at everyone's insistance. Still I love the concert and can't find any technical shortcomings. I would assume Joe has acted more professionally subsequently or he would have been forced into retirement. I think the performances of the solo songs are fine and needed for that length concert.

Chris

This is one of my all time favorite music DVDs. I noticed that it's now available in HD-DVD as well!

Attachments

• eagles hd.jpg
    eagles hd.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 473
The HD version is incredible visually, but pretty much only DTS surround track same as DVD. The nice thing is it is only 1 disc unlike 2 for regular DVD.

The HD version is incredible visually, but pretty much only DTS surround track same as DVD. The nice thing is it is only 1 disc unlike 2 for regular DVD.

I don't own the new formats so I can't grasp the downside of only the same as this DVD since it is exceptional for DVD. Once HD DVD and Blu-ray realize the audio potential, I suspect we will see more members here make the jump. I am waffling on my commitment to avoid both and make D-VHS/DVD-V/SACD/DVD-A work forever. I think both HD DVD and Blu-ray look great when the software is done right and the audio potential is amazing as well.

Chris

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and briefly saw this displayed at a crazy low price but didn't have time to really look at it. I just went to the Wal-Mart site and if I understand correctly, it is the 2-Disc DVD with bonus CD for $9.72, a Wal-Mart exclusive. I can't see any catch from the description. I can't imagine beating this deal anywhere since most online sites still list the 2-DVD set at about $18-$20. I may be missing something.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5367809

Chris

I don't own the new formats so I can't grasp the downside of only the same as this DVD since it is exceptional for DVD. Once HD DVD and Blu-ray realize the audio potential, I suspect we will see more members here make the jump. I am waffling on my commitment to avoid both and make D-VHS/DVD-V/SACD/DVD-A work forever. I think both HD DVD and Blu-ray look great when the software is done right and the audio potential is amazing as well.

Chris

I've been playing with HD DVD for a couple of weeks now and the picture difference is staggering through a full resolution plasma or lcd..
The Eagles would be nice to use a shop demo becuase it is in 16 x 9 and the HD movies I've used are all 2.35 to 1 which still leave black bars top and bottom on a widescreen 16 x 9 set....
Which is why I will probably buy the HD DVD disc version...

But to play for personal use just bores me...I'd much rather watch the Eagles live BBC TV performance from 1972 in 4x3 PAL with mono sound....everything technologically going against it but it's so much more interesting to watch..

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and briefly saw this displayed at a crazy low price but didn't have time to really look at it. I just went to the Wal-Mart site and if I understand correctly, it is the 2-Disc DVD with bonus CD for $9.72, a Wal-Mart exclusive. I can't see any catch from the description. I can't imagine beating this deal anywhere since most online sites still list the 2-DVD set at about $18-$20. I may be missing something.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5367809

Chris

I bought this at Wal Mart for 9.72(with the bonus disc). I just figured they were discounting in preparation for the HD release. I thought for that price it was too good to pass up since I have read many positive reviews. Wish I could find Hell Freezes Over for that price. :D

Back