HiRez Poll Eagles - HOTEL CALIFORNIA [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD/BDA of Eagles - HOTEL CALIFORNIA

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Post your thoughts and comments on the 2002 5.1 Mix of this classic album, originally issued by WB/Rhino as a DVD-A/V disc. This 5.1 mix was subsequently released in Japan as a Multichannel SACD in August 2011 and in 2017 on Blu-Ray Audio as part of a new 40th anniversary box set.

DVD-A/V scan:
R-1591901-1231350298.jpeg.jpg

SACD scan:
R-3454122-1337262179-5286.jpeg.jpg

2017 40th anniversary Box Set:
81s0MOgTfUL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great music, and a decent surround mix, but i feel the surround mix could have been more descrete, {or something}, it just sounds a little muddied up. I give it a 9. :)

Excellent disc, the surround mix should be a bit more aggressive, as for the quad "border" and "nights".

Ditto most of the above comments about the mix. Decent sound quality too. A classic of course. The one I really want though is One of these Nights (my favourite of all the Eagles albums).

A very good disc that brings back some fine memories.

However I tend to prefer the HFO DVD. This is the best combination of outstanding audio, on a concert DVD.

I agree with Campbell about the master tapes possibly holding this DVD-A back. Still... It's quite good. Maybe not the most invitingly warm recording, but it's a nice mix and the songs are good. I gave it an 8.

An '8'....I go with Cai here, problematic tape situation, but hard to imagine it being mixed and presented much better than this...glad to have it! :sun

ED :)

I just got my used copy off ebay and I have to say I was impressed. For the most part, it fell in line with Border and Night by having basically the same instrument placement. What's the story on the problematic master tapes?? I didn't seem to notice anything.

I gave it a solid 9!

Just one of those albums everybody bought back in the day and all the days since. I sold hundreds of copies when I worked at The Wherehouse. FM radio blitzed it enough that I never felt I had to own it.

So I come to the DVD-A from a slightly different angle; it sounds GREAT and so familiar w/o buring absolutely burned out. [same thing with Rumours too]

Nice job, we just need more!

This is one of those discs you could use to demo your system to others. Very nice sound and music that almost everyone likes. An 8.

Does anyone else have trouble playing the Hi-Rez stereo mix?
I've tried 2 different discs on two different players and can't get it to play.

5.1 mix is great.

Trouble playing it? No. But it may depend on your player and setting. I just go to Top Menu, which offers up DD 5.1 and stereo, and just press stereo...which I did once only, bought this for the MC.

ED :)

Does anyone else have trouble playing the Hi-Rez stereo mix?
I've tried 2 different discs on two different players and can't get it to play.

5.1 mix is great.

YEP ! I bought a used one at FYE cheap and guess what, the stereo mix is blank. There is an electrical pop every so often but that is all that is there.

I still have the one I bought new years ago and it plays the stereo mix just fine.

I have to change my dvd-a player settings from multi-channel to stereo before I play the hirez stereo layer.

I have 2 copies of this disc, and both of my discs are the gray ones. There's also a white disc version of this most awesome dvd-a.

Recently, I have had the pleasure of seeing the Boston Red Sox win two World Series And the New England Patriots win three Superbowls. Not bad, eh?

I had the same pleasure, except I was equally 'pleasured' while the Boston Celtics won Banner 17 two years ago AND the Boston Bruins became the first team in the history of the NHL to win THREE - games seven's in the finals on the way to the 2011 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONSHIP.

God Bless America! (and God bless the Boston Celtics, New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox & Boston Bruins)! Amen.

If you own both, any specific way we should vote? Perhaps a poll for the SACD and one for the DVD-A?

The DVD-A is slightly brighter and the SACD is slightly warmer, but both are immensely enjoyable. It is nice to play the SACD (I've listened twice) without having to deal with menus.

I would give each format an 8. Rock n Roll the way it should be listened to, in high resolution!

Where did post #17 come from? A sports board or something?

No, it came from the Quad forums. I'll tone down the sports rhetoric. I saw Bob R's .sig file, got excited and replied. Then I noticed that it was posted YEARS ago!

Back