Quad LP/Tape Poll Eagles: One Of These Nights [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "One Of These Nights"

• 10: Great Mix, Great Sound, Great Content

Votes: 3 12.5%

Votes: 6 25.0%

Votes: 10 41.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 16.7%

Votes: 1 4.2%

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
One of my favorite CD-4's and Q8's. Was released towards the "end" of quad.

Who remembers waiting (and waiting) for the quad "Hotel California". Took about 25 years to get that! (DVD-A)
I know that feeling. Took 25 years for the third season of Twin Peaks to appear....

This snapshot is a sampling of the two un-demodulated channels, or what else?

Yes that is the un-demodulated channels. Here are 5 second samples of that same section un-demodulated and the demodulated front channels so you can hear what is going on.

Attachments

• undemod.flac
    916.6 KB · Views: 98
  • demodfront.flac
    816.2 KB · Views: 74
I find the spread of the votes on this quad album interesting. I've always considered the material to be loaded with both 'killers' and 'filler.' I either really like a song or don't care for it.

And both the CD4 and Q8 had/have a 'dead' sound, to my ears anyway, as if something is missing compared to the stereo versions. The song One Of These Nights is sped up slightly from the stereo original and the backing vocals are different. All of that is OK except for the 'deadness.'

Lyin' Eyes really sounds reticent compared to a demix/remix of the stereo using DeMix Pro.

I understand that some folks will really like the more intimate presentation of the material on the quad version, but my indifference to many of the cuts coupled with the sensation that 'something's missing' puts me off.

after abandoning both linear tracking and stepped-up Ortofon moving coil setups for CD-4 purposes (couldn't get either working satisfactorily 🤦‍♀️) i finally got CD-4 demodulating a-go-go dialled back in with ye olde pivot arm and moving magnet setup this Summer 😅 and played this here Quaddie LP, among a few i'd not spun in quite some time, a good few i'd maybe unfairly maligned, including this'un.

anyhoo, i've popped in to up my score from a "7" to an "8" 👍

it's a murkier mix than i'd like but plenty Surround-y enough and i enjoyed it much more than i did back in 2012 when i previously rated it here at QQ 🤩

11 years eh.. 🤷🏻‍♀️ how time flies when you're tinkering with your equipment 👀🤐

Back