Quad LP/Tape Poll Eagles: One Of These Nights [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "One Of These Nights"

• 10: Great Mix, Great Sound, Great Content

Votes: 3 12.5%

Votes: 6 25.0%

Votes: 10 41.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 16.7%

Votes: 1 4.2%

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
#1 1975 Lp with three huge hits. Asylum EQ-1039.

Side 1:

1. One Of These Nights
2. Too Many Hands
3. Hollywood Waltz
4. Journey Of The Sorcerer

Side 2:

1. Lyin' Eyes
2. Take It To The Limit
3. Visions
4. After The Thrill Is Gone
5. I Wish You Peace

Attachments

• Eagles One Of These.gif
    Eagles One Of These.gif
    79.2 KB · Views: 834
Last edited:
I would like to find a nice copy of this so I could vote/comment. The one I have is so scratched it makes me wince in agony.

raggal62 said:
I would like to find a nice copy of this so I could vote/comment. The one I have is so scratched it makes me wince in agony.

I haven't even been able to find a copy to wince at:cool: . I do have it on my QpS wish list though. Maybe someday... I did have it back in the day on Q8 and can recall that it sounded good to me then. However since I don't do Q8's now and nor do I plan to, I'll continue to look for a vinyl copy to see if it's as good as I remember.

One of my all time favorites on Q8. This Q8 came out in both the standard E/A orange shell Q8 (first run), then switched later to the more common purple shell. No change on the inside, though. Still is one of the hottest quad tapes on Ebay. Good discreet mix. About the only complaint is the huge (about 2:15) difference between Program 1 and 2, but it's better than cutting a song in half. (y)

I managed to score a mint, in wrapper copy of the Orange Shell cart off ebay last year. Really good mix but in my opinion, I think they could have made it a little more aggressive. Maybe put a little more action in the rears, something along those lines. I give it an 8 overall.

One of my favorite CD-4's and Q8's. Was released towards the "end" of quad.

Who remembers waiting (and waiting) for the quad "Hotel California". Took about 25 years to get that! (DVD-A)

A '9'....had it been of the quality of HOTEL CALIFORNIA in terms of content, a '10'...it is one of the best Quad mixes you're going to find.

ED :)

Probably among my top-ten most "can't wait to get my hands on it" quads.
How can you not love a quad album with three Top Two hits?

Well, I didn't.

Don't know quite how to put my finger on it, but for me it just kind of lays there.
Compared to the stereo version, it sounds compressed and lifeless.
If you're not sure what I'm talking about, compare "Too Many Hands" in stereo and quad.
The title track, while quite discrete, suffers from too much reverb and faraway-sounding background vocals.

I should also point out a possible bias: I got the quad in 1977, just one year after buying the stereo version in the summer of 1976. I ran the stereo version into the ground. By the time I got ahold of the CD-4, I probably had very few listenings left in me. I've also never been a fan of the drawn-out ballad "Lyin' Eyes" -- in stereo, quad, FM, or AM.

I listened mostly to my brand-new CD-4 copy, not the Q8. American Warner CD-4's of the period were absolutely god-awful (predecessor On the Border is possibly the most unplayable ever). Some of the compression comes from the mix, some from the CD-4 mastering.

It's not all bad. My favorite track was "Journey of the Sorcerer", an 8-minute
instrumental head-trip that was built for multichannel. I enjoyed it much back in the day. Today the sonics are too dated to produce any real thrills.

Last edited:
*BUMP*

The dreaded "Lyin' Eyes" was a big hit, but also the album's real dud: the band's worst tendencies exaggerated beyond anything heard on OTB.

The CD-4 I bought not long after it was released used the stereo cover, just had a round sticker taped over the spine to indicate it was quad. Not sure I've ever seen a 'custom' cover for it. And while HOTEL didn't get a quad release at the time, it sure deserved one. Was surprised, though, that the hits comp--which has since sold nearly 20 million copies--wasn't done in quad, that would have made perfect sense.

The CD-4 I bought not long after it was released used the stereo cover, just had a round sticker taped over the spine to indicate it was quad. Not sure I've ever seen a 'custom' cover for it.

I bought my copy from Cai and has the same sticker, and Joni Mitchell "Hissing of summer lawns" stereo label on side B :rolleyes:

Nice album, IMHO a bit below "On the border"; good quad mix.

I bought my copy from Cai and has the same sticker, and Joni Mitchell "Hissing of summer lawns" stereo label on side B :rolleyes:

On my copy, the labels are correct, anyway....:eek:

Part of the problem with the Eagles' music is that it always seemed too slick and calculated at times--when it wasn't, like "Lyin' Eyes," so obvious one has to wonder why anyone liked it in the first place, since you could get that sort of thing from any number of bands (not to mention the same territory mined in C&W for many years). Ah well....

"Lyin' Eyes" - UGH. I really hate that tune. Back in the day it was 'OK', but I can't sit through it now, quad or stereo.

The thing that really sucked was that I went to see them a month or so ago, and among all of the songs they could have done, they did LYIN' EYES!!!! Crap. It was torture! :D

Not only are we audiophiles and collectors, we're critics, too! :D

The Eagles always played for The Hit, and had enough of 'em. But it's interesting to note that as their audience aged it drifted toward the slicker, more modern country sounds that had more than a little Rock'n'roll and a lot less countrypolitan going on. And many of those who came later and exploited the shifting country styles were obviously Eagles fans and borrowed liberally. So the Eagles were as ahead of their time--and now are adapted country darlings--as they were behind the times with "Lyin' Eyes" or "James Dean." If it all seems stale these days (for me), it might be because so many co-opted that country/rock sounds that was far less traditional and more hybrid than the Byrds' SWEETHEART OF THE RODEO, or the Flying Burrito Brothers' early albums. Familiarity does of course breed contempt....:D

"Lyin' Eyes" - UGH. I really hate that tune. Back in the day it was 'OK', but I can't sit through it now, quad or stereo.

Yep.

A big problem is the LLLLLLLLLLLLONG LLLLLLLLLLLLENGTH (6:35, I think).
Slow ballads with three verses rarely work.

The radio station I mostly heard this on played a version omitting the 2nd verse.
Still too long.

The DJ and stock copies had the short (AM) edit; the DJ pressing, IIRC, also had the long (Lp) version on the other side, FWIW. Screwed either way...:D

I knew folks who hated "Take It To The Limit," but after four albums this listener thought they were on to something, finally, if only a certain sense of malaise that had permeated so much of modern culture. Coulda been wrong, though....

I never really cared for the Eagles. One of these Nights is probably the only song by them that I like. I do like the quad mix on that song. The rest of the album I only ever listened to for one reason, and that was to complete the conversion I did.

It's not all bad. My favorite track was "Journey of the Sorcerer", an 8-minute
instrumental head-trip that was built for multichannel. I enjoyed it much back in the day. Today the sonics are too dated to produce any real thrills.

Yes a great track from Bernie Leadon...but it probably spelled his demise from the band as G.F. and D.H. hated it...

later on it was adopted as the theme music for "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"...

one day last year I played it and my wife (who loves the eagles) asked me who it was ,as she had always loved the theme music from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.....boy was she suprised..

Personally my favourite eagles lps are "on the border" and "desperado"....and it's easier to find a nice clean cd-4 lp copy of "on the border" than with this lp ...for some reason the sonics on this quad release are just not as good as the stereo version...but i don't mind the mix...just the audio recording quality

The title track is a really smooth mix. I enjoy it. On the sound quality, I may have gotten spoiled as my Q8 was NOS sealed/never played when I got it. The DTS conversion I have of it is very muddy and hissy. My CD-4 LP probably has high mileage as it's a mess sonically.

Back