• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Earth Wind & Fire - Gratitude [SACD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of Earth Wind & Fire - Gratitude

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Presentation, Poor Performance

• Total voters

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
"wanna thank you, yeah.."

thanks JonUrban for creating the Poll 🤗

its an all 'n all "10" from me, the studio tracks on this are some of if not the best new 5.1 mixes Sony put out on SACD back in the early noughties (before i got grey hair and everything started to ache!), the surround on this one is brilliant.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So is this as good or better (as a surround mix) than the 4.0 titles that just came out as a two-fer on DV?
this is just as good in my book (and i love those two Quads) the use of the Centre channel is pretty solid, the Rear channels are active throughout and used in a similar way at times to some of what Larry Keyes did with his Spirit Quad mix, sound quality errs on the bright side but is still nice and the most pristine i've heard this material.

dr. simple

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I guess I’m the first person to say how surprised I am that this very worthy disc did not have a poll until now!

The thing with this disc is, for me anyway, that I rarely listen to the live tracks but the studio tracks are MUST HAVES for fans of surround. True demo material. The live tracks make it difficult for me to give it a 10, but the studio tracks can’t be improved, in my opinion. I’ll go with a 9.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I guess I’m the first person to say how surprised I am that this very worthy disc did not have a poll until now!
Well... Jon has said repeatedly that he's so "over it!" and maybe that had something to do with it. ;):p:D🤣

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Everything everyone's said about how good the studio tracks on this album is true, but the performances on the live section are so fantastic that I don't find myself let down at all by the (primarily) ambient surround mix. The two long instrumental tracks (Africano/Power and New World Symphony) still knock my socks off today, and I don't think there's a studio recording that captures the band's virtuoso energy better than those two songs.

This was actually the very first SACD I ever got. I asked for it as a Christmas gift in 2002, before I even had a machine capable of playing SACDs, because of how much I loved the stereo version of the album, and I wasn't disappointed.

For people who enjoy the live half of this disc, be sure to seek out That's the Way of the World: Alive in '75, it's a further hour of live recordings culled from the same run of shows that produced the live tracks on Gratitude that are every bit as good both in performance and mix/sound quality.

humprof

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Everything everyone's said about how good the studio tracks on this album is true, but the performances on the live section are so fantastic that I don't find myself let down at all by the (primarily) ambient surround mix. The two long instrumental tracks (Africano/Power and New World Symphony) still knock my socks off today, and I don't think there's a studio recording that captures the band's virtuoso energy better than those two songs.
Word. Gratitude was the first EWF album I ever had--my brother gave it to me for my birthday in 1976, along with the Crusaders' Southern Comfort (two double albums; how did I rate?)--so even though I'm over the moon about Dutton's new two-fer, for me those crack live versions of "Shining Star," "Yearnin' Learnin'," "Reasons," and "Africano" will always be the definitive ones.

For people who enjoy the live half of this disc, be sure to seek out That's the Way of the World: Alive in '75, it's a further hour of live recordings culled from the same run of shows that produced the live tracks on Gratitude that are every bit as good both in performance and mix/sound quality.
Second that! Totally missed it when it was first released in the early aughts. A happy discovery when I first got into surround a couple of years ago. Man, that band was smokin' in 75!

Last edited:
Group builder