• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Earth Wind & Fire - "Gratitude" SACD

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Dylan Berichon

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I'm thinking about buying a used copy of this from a local record store.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of others here first though, as I have no way to sample the disk otherwise.

I'm a huge fan of Soul music, and as such, a huge fan of "Earth Wind & Fire", so this title has me excited with the prospect of being in 5.1!

Ick

Since 2002/2003
IMHO, it is an EXCELLENT disc. The live part isn't as cool sounding as the second half studio tracks, but I get goosebumps every time "Sing A Song" comes on.

I would get it if I were you before it becomes extinct.

ICK

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
This was one of the first SACDs I ever got, and it remained one of my favourites for ages. I originally played it on one of those Sony all in one minisystems and it sounded fine, but about a year ago I upgraded to a much higher end Denon/KEF system and on that it sounds like the treble has been boosted a great deal. Anyone else with similiar experiences?

Dave.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I agree as well. As well as being a great album, it sounds excellent. I would definitely pick it up.

Rudy

What Bob said. :) I can't say the live tracks do as much for me as far as the surround mix goes--it does place you in the audience so to speak. Good mix, but...the studio tracks are nicer, and IMHO, were worth getting the disc for. Sad, though--I really like the studio track surround mixes (as a big EWF fan), but I know Sony/Legacy probably won't get around to doing the other EWF albums in surround. :( (And even if they did, it would probably be DualDisc, with DD 5.1 rather than DVD-A.)

Musically, it's one of the few live recordings I actually like. (y) Good to own if you don't yet have it in any format!

I'd also pick up the Alive in '75 disc if you get a chance. Similar sonics, but even after a year, EWF had changed a few of their arrangements, and play a few different songs that aren't on Gratitude. The band's pretty much at their peak--can't go wrong with the music!

Dylan Berichon

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Rudy said:
What Bob said. :) I can't say the live tracks do as much for me as far as the surround mix goes--it does place you in the audience so to speak. Good mix, but...the studio tracks are nicer, and IMHO, were worth getting the disc for. Sad, though--I really like the studio track surround mixes (as a big EWF fan), but I know Sony/Legacy probably won't get around to doing the other EWF albums in surround. :( (And even if they did, it would probably be DualDisc, with DD 5.1 rather than DVD-A.)

Musically, it's one of the few live recordings I actually like. (y) Good to own if you don't yet have it in any format!

I'd also pick up the Alive in '75 disc if you get a chance. Similar sonics, but even after a year, EWF had changed a few of their arrangements, and play a few different songs that aren't on Gratitude. The band's pretty much at their peak--can't go wrong with the music!
I actually own this album on a Reel to Reel tape, and it's one of my favorites (aside from a couple of the live tracks). You can't beat "Sun Goddess" live!

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll go pick this up.

dr. simple

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Like many of you, I'm scrambling to pick up the hi-res titles I don't already have, and I just picked this up. For what it's worth, I've found Best Buy online and CD Universe to be good sources for the SACDs that are still available.

The live material is nice, but I gotta tell you - the studio cuts BLEW ME AWAY. Wow. It's been a long time since I've heard a surround mix that made me realize just how wonderful music can sound. Incredible.

Keep in mind that the studio tracks are only about 18-20 minutes, but this disc is worth every penny for those alone.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
This looks like it's not a very popular SACD since it doen't hacve a poll...and , yes , it sounds like it has had its treble boosted, making one of the brightest sounding SACD (but not OVER THE TOP like the Genesis Phil Collins era boxes), but, man, it's a GREAT mix.
What has been said about the mixes I agree up to a point (I sound like Yoda), the live songs mix does have some instruments on the rears (Guitars RR, percussion RL), but the highlights are the studio songs...I was a fan of "Sing a song" back in the day and I love the MCH mix...and as "Can't hide Love" took me back to maaaaaany years ago, you know, those songs you had never heard in "forever" and suddenly there it is, in AWESOME Surround....

This is a GREAT DISC!!!
A 10 for music and a 10 fro the mix.

IMachine

QQ Supporter
Hm, Germany is speaking :) there is so much treble in the wind section...it hurts.
Yes, the placement is very good, but the mix is far too bright for demo-quality.
So I can only give a 7 for it.
Steely has much much more demo-quality....

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
So what's the deal with this disc?

On SA-CD.net they say part of it is derived from quad tapes...an unreleased columbia mix? Other reviews say it's a live show. So a live/studio album, like JB's Running On Empty?

Is the mix good? I pulled the trigger since it's long OOP and rare like most Sony Single-Layer MC discs

humprof

When it came out as a double-LP (I remember it well!--my brother gave it to me for Christmas, along with The Crusaders' Southern Comfort), it was 3 sides live, 1 side studio. The live sides of the surround version are perfectly fine concert sound--audience & ambience in the rears, with a fairly spacious soundstage. Not as "murky" as some people complain, though in the end I like the remastered stereo version of the live sides just as well if not better. Can't beat the repertoire, though; it's like a greatest hits package, performed by one of the most amazing live bands in history at their absolute peak. But the studio side? Glorious. For me, they're demo tracks. Clean, punchy, 70s quad sound. Donno about the origin of the tapes or the mix.

On SA-CD.net they say part of it is derived from quad tapes...an unreleased columbia mix? Other reviews say it's a live show. So a live/studio album, like JB's Running On Empty?

Is the mix good? I pulled the trigger since it's long OOP and rare like most Sony Single-Layer MC discs

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003

The previous comments point to a total knock-out quadrant experience. Only that it's a bit on the bright side of mastering which one can turn down the treble when desired.

Studio tunes are breathtaking stunners.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter

the 1st half is live performances w/ambient mix, the 2nd half is studio tracks remixed into 5.1 for SACD by Paul Klingberg with Maurice White himself (RIP), not an unreleased Quad at all as there's distinct centre channel content.. the 2nd half is absolutely stunning, if a bit bright, surround sound.