• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Earth, Wind & Fire - SPIRIT & THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD [SACD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of Earth, Wind & Fire - SPIRIT & THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Was just looking at my Spirit SQ LP jacket and I noticed that in addition to the Larry Keyes mixing credit, "The Eleventh Floor Flash" is credited for quadraphonic sound supervision. Curiously enough, this is not mentioned on the new SACD. I wonder who this mysterious character might be? Typically we get Al Lawrence paired with Larry Keyes, so maybe this was some kind of inside joke or nickname?

spirit_sq_credits.jpg

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
My theory is that it is indeed a pseudonym for Al Lawrence, although frustratingly the quad master tape boxes for Spirit didn't have any extra remix engineer information on them so we were unable to confirm.

The reason I think it's Lawrence is that he seems to disappear as CBS's Head of Quadraphonic A&R after an interview in the August 9th, 1975 issue of Billboard Magazine, after which I think he either left or was quietly let go by the company. I always wondered what happened to him, so a couple of years ago I did a deep Google dive on him and finally turned up some writing he did for an audio engineering magazine in 1976, including an article about various quad-equipped recording studios such as Caribou Ranch.

It's my belief that Lawrence wouldn't be doing writing like that if he was still an employee of CBS, and that in 1976 he may have returned to do the remix supervision for Spirit under a pseudonym either because CBS wanted to keep his departure hush-hush, or because union rules at CBS's New York studios wouldn't allow for a freelancer (as he would've been) working with a union man like Keyes. It's my recollection that the quad LP of Ted Nugent's Free For All (also from 1976) has a pseudonym for the Quadraphonic Sound and Remix Supervisor as well, so it's possible the same person was responsible for both mixes.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
My theory is that it is indeed a pseudonym for Al Lawrence, although frustratingly the quad master tape boxes for Spirit didn't have any extra remix engineer information on them so we were unable to confirm.

The reason I think it's Lawrence is that he seems to disappear as CBS's Head of Quadraphonic A&R after an interview in the August 9th, 1975 issue of Billboard Magazine, after which I think he either left or was quietly let go by the company. I always wondered what happened to him, so a couple of years ago I did a deep Google dive on him and finally turned up some writing he did for an audio engineering magazine in 1976, including an article about various quad-equipped recording studios such as Caribou Ranch.

It's my belief that Lawrence wouldn't be doing writing like that if he was still an employee of CBS, and that in 1976 he may have returned to do the remix supervision for Spirit under a pseudonym either because CBS wanted to keep his departure hush-hush, or because union rules at CBS's New York studios wouldn't allow for a freelancer (as he would've been) working with a union man like Keyes. It's my recollection that the quad LP of Ted Nugent's Free For All (also from 1976) has a pseudonym for the Quadraphonic Sound and Remix Supervisor as well, so it's possible the same person was responsible for both mixes.
yeah, i wondered about that.. at bottom middle it credits Quadraphonic Sound & Remix Supervision (fancy name for Producer?) to one Flash Rhomboid alongside Tim Geelan (who did the Blue Öyster Cult Quads) as the engineer what actually done the mix good and proper like.. must be the one and the same Eleventh Floor Flash!

Flash! Ahh! Mixer of the impossible!
Flash, i love you.. but we only have 14 hours to mix this Quad! 😱

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova

Love all this sleuthing!

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Yesterday i started the listening session for the new arrivals, and that was the first one to play.
Of course already knew songs and mixes with Q8 and SQ versions, so no musical surprise on that side. I know some vocals are different, but not jarring as the Billy Paul quad.

Excellent work from MD on that one. A must buy. D-V is becoming a mandatory bus stop for anyone intrested in multichannel: the music can suit your taste or not, but the transfer work is excellent.

Said that, that's a disc that should deserve a 19 - 10 for Spirit, 9 for That's (-1 for alternate vocal takes) since it's two excellent quads on a single disc. Never understood why AF went with Head and Open for their sacd, but i'm very happy now to have all 4 EWF quads on SACD along with Gratitude, who was un-grately alone on representing the EWF flag for years.

Michael Dutton, why about doing a fresh quad mix of All'n'All and I Am? AFAIK none had been mixed to quad, but these ones will be another dream come true. Twofer on two separate discs if this helps to cover the remixing money... no problem.

The56Kid

800 Club - QQ All-Star
yeah, i wondered about that.. at bottom middle it credits Quadraphonic Sound & Remix Supervision (fancy name for Producer?) to one Flash Rhomboid alongside Tim Geelan (who did the Blue Öyster Cult Quads) as the engineer what actually done the mix good and proper like.. must be the one and the same Eleventh Floor Flash!

Flash! Ahh! Mixer of the impossible!
Flash, i love you.. but we only have 14 hours to mix this Quad! 😱

I’ll definitely be ordering the EW&F along with the O’Jays and the Blue Notes with my next D-V order.

Interesting to me and (hopefully) my fellow QQ guitarists, the Nuge references playing Gibson Byrdland guitars and ‘a custom guitar made by Paul Smith’. Today, Paul Reed Smith may be the most popular and successful electric guitar designer/manufacturer in the world. Ted’s must have been an early prototype.

Group builder