HiRez Poll Earth, Wind & Fire - SPIRIT & THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Earth, Wind & Fire - SPIRIT & THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I also wanted to mention that from a post I read back in the 2000's sometime that someone had posted that there were No True E,W&F Quad Lp's, they were "Fake" as I saw that Dawn CD-4's were as well. This came from a very reliable source person that knows quad well. I don't remember where I read it or whom it was. It was on a Quad LP list forum tho. That makes me kinda confused about their Quad Mixes actually existing. Please advise !
I'm a little confused about this comment... are you questioning whether Quad mixes of E,W&F really exist? I can verify that they do. I've heard them. It's what this thread is about. The mixes are ultra discrete.

I'm a little confused about this comment... are you questioning whether Quad mixes of E,W&F really exist? I can verify that they do. I've heard them. It's what this thread is about. The mixes are ultra discrete.
There was just a reply made to that subject to clear this up.

Not to fire anyone up here, but actually I never cared for the band. As most of you know we all have our taste in music and we don't all care for the same artists or music. I do like the Quad mix of "TTWOTW" tho. It was on YT by themotownboy last decade and I really liked it. I's no longer up since then, I would suspect due to copyright viloations, but what I heard was fantastic. I probably wouldn't go as far as to buy this SACD for it but I do like that mix and that's about it for thier songs. Just my opinion. Thank you.
I agree that everyone has their own tastes in music chas9496.....
But this poll is specifically for the recent DV quadraphonic SACD release. Forum members listen to the release in question and then post their comments/vote.
Have you had a chance to listen this quad SACD ?

No, I haven't. I don't have it so I couldn't of listened to any of it. Just the SQ Vinyl. I was debating getting it tho.

Waited a little while to rate this one. These two albums were so high up on my wish list that I figured an early review would be a knee-jerk 10 rating. But having had a couple of months to digest it, I can only say that I am still ecstatic about this release. It is indeed a shining star; one of the crown jewels in DV's already spectacular catalog of vintage quad reissues. The mixes are pure 70's quad goodness. Frequently the lead vocals and rhythm section are up front with much of the other instruments in the rear. The only song that feels even remotely conservative in the mix is "Happy Feelin'." But even that one has plenty going for it. Not necessarily the most dynamic recordings I've ever heard, but given that they're 45 years old, I can't really fault DV.

A couple other reasons why this release is exciting for me. In the past, DV has typically dug deep into the record labels' rosters and released a lot of lesser known recordings. (I'm not faulting them for this. As far as I'm concerned, every album that was ever released in 4.0 should be reissued in a hi-res digital format.) I had to wonder if financial reasons were preventing DV from going after albums that had been more commercially successful. However, That's the Way was a triple platinum #1 album. Spirit had similar success, reaching #2 on the charts and going double platinum. It shows that DV is able to get their hands on albums that were big sellers. Secondly, we've all been annoyed over the years with the folks at MFSL who have released 2.0 SACDs of albums that had quad mixes available. We all worried that might prevent the quad mix ever getting a re-release as it might have been "quad blocked." MFSL had released a 2.0 SACD of That's the Way back in 2005, but now we have this. It shows that once MFSL's license on a title expires that DV won't necessarily be afraid to do their own release. Perhaps DV can score those Billy Joel quads in a few years' time.

Two era & genre defining multi-platinum albums with gloriously discrete 4.0 mixes crammed on to one very reasonably priced SACD. How could it be anything less than a 10.

I am going to have to concur with that vote. I was a little hesitant about ordering this since I associated EW&F with a slick, disco type sound. I couldn’t have been more wrong. This disc has been in very heavy rotation for many weeks now. Just a stunning concoction of soul, funk, rock, jazz, pop, gospel and just the tiniest, tiniest tinge of disco. Killer songs, great vocals, terrific musicianship, gorgeous mixes and lavish, lavish, lavish sound.

This disc is a must-buy and easily in my top 10 multichannel discs.

Agree with Mr. Universe, these are two terrific albums with pretty faultless quad delivery. I've enjoyed every EW&F quad that had been re-released on SACD, and they're still great live. I despised disco back in the day....these guys were never "that".
No they weren’t. Like many artists of the day, they leaned towards disco for a few hits. In their case, “September”, “Boogie Wonderland” and “Let’s Groove”. But they were never a disco act. And even on those tracks, the musicianship was still a good deal above what most disco records of the day were.

I recall an interview many years ago where Maurice White was lamenting that disco killed R&B.

Just listened to this tonight. What I hear particularly on That's The Way of The World album is a stunning expansion on what Sly and the Family Stone started with and peaked by 1971. EW&F take that and run with it reaching heights musically and commercially taking advantage of record production and recording quality of the 70s/80s that did not exist before. Then the mixes in 4.0 ratchet up that production and performance quality an additional level. I'd heard the hits before but this is the first time hearing these complete albums. So an extra treat there too. I'd previously read reviews of these albums and knew they were strong.

Lucky we got these two.
10/10

Last edited:
Back