Easier to Rip? DVD or Blu-ray?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwckauman

if given a choice between purchasing a DVD and a Blu-Ray version of the same 5.1 album mix, which would you prefer from a ripping standpoint? for example, I'm moving on from a DVD-AUDIO playing Acura TSX, to a disc-less Acura TLX, and will need to start ripping my 5.1 mixes in order to hear them in the car. I've got some experience ripping from DVD, but not so much with Blu-Ray audio. I'm asking for some 5.1 mixes for Christmas and wondered if I should purchase the DVD version or the Blu-Ray version, with an eye on having to rip the mix to a file for playing back via USB drive.

if given a choice between purchasing a DVD and a Blu-Ray version of the same 5.1 album mix, which would you prefer from a ripping standpoint? for example, I'm moving on from a DVD-AUDIO playing Acura TSX, to a disc-less Acura TLX, and will need to start ripping my 5.1 mixes in order to hear them in the car. I've got some experience ripping from DVD, but not so much with Blu-Ray audio. I'm asking for some 5.1 mixes for Christmas and wondered if I should purchase the DVD version or the Blu-Ray version, with an eye on having to rip the mix to a file for playing back via USB drive.
Chiming in with my 2 cents:

It'll also depend on the disc drive you're ripping from. For example, I have a LG BD drive that has flashed firmware (i.e., rolled-back firmware to enable 4K disc ripping) and for whatever reason, BD and 4K rips tear along at 6x where DVD rips are slow as (~2x). From what you've typed in your post, I'm guessing that you haven't flashed your BD drive but I've read about some recent Pioneer disc drives that don't require flashing to rip 4K discs, so they're potentially slow on DVD rips too - not sure if you have one of these Pioneer disc drives.

Bottom line from moi: I'd get the BD over the DVD every time.

For a 5.1 audio mix, I find DVD and DVD-A much faster and easier. Just love DVD-Audio Extractor.

They're equally easy with modern tools. Structure is the same, one just has better codecs and higher capacity.

No practical difference now.

Last edited:
They're equally easy with modern tools. Strutcture is the same, one just has better codecs and higher capacity.

No practical difference now.
Not always a better codec either. Often the same exact bit rate and mastering as one would find on a DVD-A. But the potential is there for the BR to be better.

I have ripped over a thousand.
DVD with DVD Audio Extractor is a must.
Given the choice of the same release both in DVD and Blu Ray, I will choose the Blu Ray for the higher resolution, sometimes. But say if there is a surround mix at 48/24 on both discs, for ease I will rip the DVD.
Many times both Blu Ray and DVD will have video attached with the music, if I want the video rip, than of course the Blu Ray is my preference.
For Blu Ray I use the combination of Make MKV for the initial rip, which can be good to stop right there if you want to watch/listen as a whole.
But if you want to chapter and or audio only than tag with Music Media Helper
our own @HomerJAU is the inventor and he our others can always help you.

The above is my experience, and I have no other experience with any other software. ripping time always varies, usually DVD is a bit faster. tagging errors can come up occasionally especially at the level I am at. It is my hobby and infrequent errors never bother me, I just fix them.
My software for listening from my PC through my rig is JRiver Player, so this is always my consideration for ripping anything, how will it look and play via JRiver.

I know many people on QQ and we all do it a little different. End result is all that matters.
Good luck and keep asking questions.

Easier to rip? DVD. As is DVD-A (which is what I think you're really asking. But all (DVD, DVD-A, BD) are fairly easy.

If given the choice? Not DVD because the material will likely be lossy. Blu-ray will likely be loseless - as will DVD-A. Between BD and DVD-A? All things equal (i.e. same sample rate/bit depth, mix, etc), for 5.1, it really doesn't matter. BD just requires an extra decryption step. But BD-A will have atmos mixes; no DVD-A will have them.

Even SACD is fairly simply once you get everything set-up.

Last edited:
Back