eBay job lot good deal?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at what's on offer I would say this is not a bad deal.
There are some rarities and very expensive releases in that job lot.

Like this one

https://www.discogs.com/release/4874207-Mike-Oldfield-Crises
Could be worth making an offer.

I did a rough calculation on what's on offer and it comes to more than is being asked.

Another Pricey multi~CH SACD is the Carpenter's SINGLES

https://www.discogs.com/release/3169081-Carpenters-Singles-1969-1981
IMO, a very nice selection and in US dollars it would translate to $4,169 for the lot.....but seeing you're a NEW member......a great way to build up an instant collection if you're a fan of what is being offered as quite a few selections are Out of Print and do command outrageous prices on the current market.

No jewel cases. And some ambiguous descriptions.
Price comes out to around $50/title? I wouldn't do it, even if I didn't already own most of these.
The Blu-ray in the Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion Box Set will most likely have failed, mine did about a year after getting it :(

I didn't want to 'upset the apple cart' but a LOT of those titles [most especially the Mike Oldfield] have LOSSY codecs. And as Baggy pointed out, lacking the original jewel cases denigrates the value of those discs.

IF the seller is willing to negotiate the price and perhaps include free s/h ..... and you are enamored of the titles, I would say that's YOUR CALL!

Hard call. All though I would hope he's dealing in good faith, sight unseen for used items could be fabulous or a huge disappointment.
I myself have had pretty good luck buying up individual titles here and there, and even on Ebay, but a large lot like that would make me uneasy.

In the end, none of us can guarantee the outcome.
If you like the titles, got the cash on hand, could be a nice deal just in saved time looking and negotiating for older titles, and you make a huge leap in your surround collection

To Baggies point, no jewel cases would not worry me too much IF I could be somewhat certain the shipping was offset enough. (he is shipping the art)
Wait I see you are in UK. That should help with shipping.
Contact the guy/gal and get a dialogue going. Some people will negotiate, some won't. I would contact regardless and see if you can work a deal a little more amenable.
Your call, and good luck.

You are saving him having to run 62 individual auctions. When you do that you split the discount not give it all to the seller.
I wouldn't be remotely interested in that lot unless you are interested in a great majority of those titles. You would be buying according to somebody elses taste, to the extent of a large amount of money.

You could always shoot him a low ball offer. On a lot like this it is important to look it over in detail and make notes for yourself about how much you are willing to pay for each item. If the listing of titles is fortunate (agrees with what YOU would like to have) then it is saving you a bunch of auctions and hunting and you might sweeten your offer.

Seller a member of ebay since 2005 and 100% positive feedback. No negs or neutrals in the last 12 months. Probably a legit deal.

I don't think I'm bothered by the lack of plastic cases if all the booklets and back inlays are present. The fewer bits of crackable plastic, the better. What concerns me is the condition of the boxed sets. Heck of a collection and I can't fault a single title, really! If his rating were anything less than 100% I'd also be worried but he has a great track record too.

I bring up the jewel cases, because some are expensive and non-trivial to locate. Super Jewel Boxes, etc.
That's fine if one doesn't intend to restore the titles to their original condition. It would bug me though!
I hear you....and It's true that even buying Super Jewel cases off Amazon are pricey. But I buy occasionally 50 of the regular ones at much lower price, or used to. But that's why I was trying to say if he was ok with it and the prices then go for it. I can scan about any size and shrink it to fit a regular jewel case, but in the end it won't be quite the same for many and also takes time and meager photoshop skills.
(I had a bunch of damaged Jewel cases once from a weird home accident is how I got started on trying to rebuild them)

Well, I still don't think I can afford it but it's down to 2999! How much is the DSOTM Blu-ray a common problem?
As far as I know, it occurred only on the European DTSOM Immersion Box Sets, where the disc was manufactured by Optimal, but it is quite common. Wish You Where here immersion is ok, well mine is. But every single Blu-ray in my (expensive!) Early Years Box Set failed, again all made by Optimal, they did replace them, but I doubt if they still are.

I just had a similar ebay experience. Someone offered fifteen SACDs for $150. They were mostly classical except for one Danny Elfman thing. It did have make offer. I offered $60 80 and $101 dollars. The auction was free shipping. All three offers were automatically declined instantly.
Then later the seller offered me a $25 discount at $125. I declined. $101 was my top dollar because about five I was not or less interested in.

This morning it is sold at asking price. $150.

Last edited:
Back