Edgar Froese - Aqua

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relayer

Hey,

Just spinning my LP of Edgar "Tangerine Dream" Froese's _Aqua_ using the QS Surround Setting on my QRX-9001QB and I'm getting some mighty good effects separating the synth tones from the water sounds between front and back, and some interesting swishes moving about the soundstage. Very nice results -- highly recommended.

As far as I know, this is not a quad recording... but I know there are some Tangerine Dream albums that are. This sounds so good through the Vario-matrix that I'm really curious to hear the Tangerine Dream stuff that was meant for quad -- anyone know if it's particularly good?

Cheers,

Relayer

I have both Atem and Zeit in SQ versions, and I like them a great deal. They tend toward an ambient surround field, but there are effects that stand out in all 4 channels, very tastefull quad mixes.

I will definitely have to pick up those Tangerine Dream SQs.

In the meantime, I've found a few other stereo ambient/electronic selections that sound good in quad. I was very impressed with Steve Hillage's Rainbow Dome Musick (which I was playing off CD).

Haven't tried my Fripp & Enos yet, but I'm sure they'll be great.

Relayer

Ditto to akll the above! I use a OOPS and they sound good with that as well. The Froese Aqua is an ambisonic recording though I thought? Not sure as I am about an hours drive away from it at the moment

Cheers

D

Relayer said:
I will definitely have to pick up those Tangerine Dream SQs.

In the meantime, I've found a few other stereo ambient/electronic selections that sound good in quad. I was very impressed with Steve Hillage's Rainbow Dome Musick (which I was playing off CD).

Haven't tried my Fripp & Enos yet, but I'm sure they'll be great.

Relayer

They are.
On a different note, some of you might liek to try Aly Bain's Follow the Moonstone -you get a beautiful wrap-around accoustic, as it was recorded with him surrounded by a semi-circle of strings: lovely. Not electronic, but anyone with a passing interest in music will most likely enjoy this.
Scott

Back