Electric Light Orchestra "Early Years" CD - SQ tracks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Just got my copy of the new E.L.O. "Early Years" and I must say that it's really good! This one has more quad mixes from the first album, along with quad mixes and some rarities from E.L.O. II.
By the way I got mine from the E.L.O. fan club: www.ftmusic.com

Last edited:
Is the SQ quad track of In Old England Town on here the same as what is labelled version 1 (and not listed as quad) on The Harvest Years?

It could very well be but the booklet with the Harvest Years set doesn't say if it really is or not.

Is anybody able to sync up and tell - or tell me what to expect in the rears in the decode if they've done it from the Early Years CD?

Is the SQ quad track of In Old England Town on here the same as what is labelled version 1 (and not listed as quad) on The Harvest Years?

I'm sorry Mike, I should have replied sooner to this post of yours but anyway;

Not sure if your familiar with the "facethemusic" website, if you are you probably have some idea of what's SQ or not.
Anyway.....according to Bob Caiger of ftm, the ELO website, any track that is listed as "alternate" is a quad track.
Thought I would let you know, in the event you are not aware of his statement.
That website does an excellent job of listing quad released and mixed but not releaed.I also get the impression that Caiger is a bit of a quadrophile and was instrumental in getting quad discs such as "2004's EARLY YEARS" released.
I'm hoping he has enough influence to get ELDORADO released in QUAD sometime soon.

I'm curious about this one. This is a regular CD that will play songs in Quad, correct? If somebody could be kind enough to comment on this before I decide to buy it. Thanks! :)

Yes they will decode in SQ
I have a couple of there CDS and they play as Quad

Yes they will decode in SQ
I have a couple of there CDS and they play as Quad

Great! So I simply play the disc in my Oppo and the player will see it as a multichannel disc? Does it show that I'm new at this? ;)

No you have to have a SQ decoder and another CD player
You pug left and right RCA plugs into a SQ decoder
And 4 Channels come out then you can plug them into you oppo if you have discrete inputs
the Oppo does not play the CD as multichannel only stereo
This maybe to much
What OPPO do you have ?

RCon

I'm afraid not. Your Oppo will see it as a two channel CD. You would either need to send the signal through an SQ decoder unit, or rip the CD and process via software to produce four seperate channels from the original two.

EDIT: Beaten!

Thank you Gentlemen! As much as I love listening to music in multichannel, I'll stick to DVDs, SACDs, Blu-Rays and DTS CDs for it. I'm not about to invest in a SQ decoder for a handful of titles. I'll get the E.L.O. CD/DVD set of the 1st album for the real Quad mixes.

Thank you Gentlemen! As much as I love listening to music in multichannel, I'll stick to DVDs, SACDs, Blu-Rays and DTS CDs for it. I'm not about to invest in a SQ decoder for a handful of titles. I'll get the E.L.O. CD/DVD set of the 1st album for the real Quad mixes.
Simon A,
Early Years is a true collector's quad cd.You should know that 2 SQ tracks come from ELO'S second album .This quad album has yet to see the light of day, unlike the first album.

Back