DVD/DTS Poll Electric Light Orchestra- First Light [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Electric Light Orchestra - FIRST LIGHT

• Total voters
I need to listen again before I vote because, contrary to the opinion of most here, my initial reaction is that this sounds dreadful.
The 2.0 LPCM 96/24 flat transfer is pretty horrific too, barely listenable IMHO.

Will make sure all my settings are correct and try again in a few days

I need to listen again before I vote because, contrary to the opinion of most here, my initial reaction is that this sounds dreadful.
The 2.0 LPCM 96/24 flat transfer is pretty horrific too, barely listenable IMHO.

Will make sure all my settings are correct and try again in a few days

I'm going to do the same...I was busy with something and used it as background music but it was easy to notice how bad 10538 Overture sounded...it was extremely bright and sounded compressed...my first impression is that it's a very uneven recording...by that I mean some songs sounded good and others did not...I'm talking about the quad mix...but I need to spend some more time with it...

Is this a part of a series which I failed to keep track of? Maybe Srormbringer and Barclay James Harvest are two of the others. If so, which are the five other titles?

The EMI ROCK/POP original Quads, originally seven then eight with the addition of Floyd's WYWH.

ELO -NO ANSWER (FIRST ALBUM)
BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST-ONCE AGAIN
MARVIN, WELCH, FARRAR-2ND OPINION
JOHN LENNON-IMAGINE
PINK FLOYD-ATOM HEART MOTHER
DEEP PURPLE-MACHINE HEAD
PINK FLOYD-DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
and
PINK FLOYD-WISH YOU WERE HERE

Most were from the Harvest label and all were released in SQ QUAD and Q8 (but ELO 'S First, although EMI tried to issue the SQ quad disc in Britain/Europe something weird occurred and only the Q8 made it through.But it somehow was issued in South America??)

Now that we all have a chance to listen to this rarity in quad, it would be nice to have the others released.

And of course even better would be to have the ELO SECOND DISC, and ELDORADO quad mixes issued.

There's an Eldorado surround mix that I heard once upon a time "floating around out there" that is supposedly an upmix, but sounded an awful lot like a discrete quad mix from what I can remember. There's a thread somewhere on the QQ that discusses it further...

What's additionally noteworthy about the original EMI quad rock discs, is that for such a great top selling rock artist stable that they had, they only released "seven" quads?!!!?? All released in 73-74, then ZERO until the eighth in 76!

So for those of us who complain about the snails pace of surround releases now?.......well......just imagine the glory days of quad.

These discs are still very collectable btw, but now are quite rare.The pressings were preferred over North American discs because the quality control standards were superior........and yet so few were released? But classical quad got ALL the attention with EMI and even the M.O.R. quad selections were in far greater numbers.Lots of tears shed for quad rock collectors like myself.

Oh well we get what we get.

I'm going to do the same...I was busy with something and used it as background music but it was easy to notice how bad 10538 Overture sounded...it was extremely bright and sounded compressed...my first impression is that it's a very uneven recording...by that I mean some songs sounded good and others did not...I'm talking about the quad mix...but I need to spend some more time with it...

Clint,

Let me know what you rate and think about this disc overall.Let US know actually.

Your olde post on DTS CD'S asking about this disc kinda went unanswered for a lengthy amount of time, and I apologize for not responding sooner.Felt I had an obligation to address your enquiry regarding this disc.......especially given your progressive stance with everthing in older quad reissues and of course progressive rock in general.
Sorry for my tardiness, and if your not truly enamored by this ELO quad disc I understand.They do get better and better with all subsequent releases, but this is a very "collectable quad"release for all the reasons I stated iin my prior posts.
To me it's a MUST OWN HISTORIC QUAD RELEASE which is now readily available at long last!!

Clint,

Let me know what you rate and think about this disc overall.Let US know actually.

Your olde post on DTS CD'S asking about this disc kinda went unanswered for a lengthy amount of time, and I apologize for not responding sooner.Felt I had an obligation to address your enquiry regarding this disc.......especially given your progressive stance with everthing in older quad reissues and of course progressive rock in general.
Sorry for my tardiness, and if your not truly enamored by this ELO quad disc I understand.They do get better and better with all subsequent releases, but this is a very "collectable quad"release for all the reasons I stated iin my prior posts.
To me it's a MUST OWN HISTORIC QUAD RELEASE which is now readily available at long last!!

I love ELO...and I love the content of that disc....but I revisited that disc and I was still displeased with the sound quality...which surprises me since I see recommendations from people I respect...I made a move yesterday and got rid of it...

I love ELO...and I love the content of that disc....but I revisited that disc and I was still displeased with the sound quality...which surprises me since I see recommendations from people I respect...I made a move yesterday and got rid of it...

Oh my goodness and such a rarity it was yet, but to each their own I suppose.

Oh, and ahh, you do know that there is a bit more quad available from ELO via the SQ CD "EARLY YEARS".? From the slightly better 2nd ELO album, albeit only 2 cuts (shit, why not more).

Oh my goodness and such a rarity it was yet, but to each their own I suppose.

Oh, and ahh, you do know that there is a bit more quad available from ELO via the SQ CD "EARLY YEARS".? From the slightly better 2nd ELO album, albeit only 2 cuts (shit, why not more).

If it was rare..it sure is easily available these days on ebay or HERE

This surround mix is pleasantly very active. The music is quirky, something I think I will come to appreciate after repeated listening.

Dings: drums are extrememly thin, too low in level and the bottom frequencies are missing. Bass is weak. I added 6 dB to the low end and it got a bit better but barely satisfactory.

I just love this disc. Musically, it's a pretty wacky album in a lot of places. Everything and the kitchen sink went into this. You gotta love the late 60's/early 70's; major record companies weren't afraid to release something that was so left of center. As for the mix, it's crazy discrete and it fits the nature of the music. Roy Wood's one-man army of overdubbed cellos mixed in stereo in the rear channels just sounds awesome. Surprised to find that both the original quad mix and the digital transfer for this release were done by Peter Mew. This one sounds better to me than a lot of the other titles he's been involved with.

Despite much of the wackiness that's contained within, the album opens and closes with two pieces of fantastic pop. "10538 Overture" is classic Jeff Lynne power-pop. Killer guitar riff, heavy metal cellos, soaring melody; it just rocks. And the album's closing track "Whisper in the Night" is a stunning Roy Wood ballad blessed with an angelic choir.

It does look like this is still available at reasonable prices on Amazon, eBay, Discogs, etc.... However, I would recommend that you check out the tunes on YouTube or another streaming service before investing. I love this stuff, but it's not the pure pop that ELO came to later be known for. It's a bit more of a difficult listen than "Strange Magic" or "Sweet Talkin' Woman." If you find that you do like the music, then buy with confidence, especially if you like very discrete 70's quad mixes.

Now if we could just get the rumored and/or unreleased quad mixes of ELO 2 & Eldorado released on Blu-ray.....

I like this one from a musical standpoint, and I love the discreteness of the mix, but the drums are just so weak and low in the mix that it kind of ruins it for me. I tried messing around a bit to bring them out more, but to no avail. I’m really not sure what to vote, because it’s great in terms of surroundiness, but I don’t listen to it because of the drums. Guess I’ll obstain from voting, but there’s my two cents.

Love the strings coming out of the back speakers. Very good album I’ve known well for many years. Nice to see some people discovering it for the first time. It has gotten more expensive now, I paid $42 but feel it’s worth it. I gave it a 9.

Back