DVD/DTS Poll Electric Light Orchestra- First Light [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Electric Light Orchestra - FIRST LIGHT

• Total voters
Wonderfully weird and ambitious stuff as the Move morph into ELO. Great vintage quad mix (dig them sliding, scraping cellos filling up the rears!). A 10, yes indeed.

This is one of the best of the EMI eight quad rock discs released, and had eluded me for decades.This is an amazing mix in quad and it is worthy of a "10" for my vote.
This EMI quad was only available in SQ LP in South America I believe, and Q8 in the UK.I twice purchased this disc back in the 70's only to find a stereo copy in a quad sleeve.
So this disc is a true QUAD COLLECTOR'S MUST OWN!!
If you like chamber rock music you'll love this disc.Very creative use of strings.

Favourite track...."Nellie Takes Her Bow", good use of quad in the mix.

Now if only more ELO quad was released, I'd be most happy.Maybe it's time for the whole ELO catalog to recieve "surround treatment".??

I just got this disc. WOW , I love it. The mix is fantastic, and the music is really good too. I have been putting off buying this for quite a while, because I was afraid I wouldn't like the music. Really glad I finally got it. SUPER. I vote 10.

This is one of the best of the EMI eight quad rock discs released, and had eluded me for decades.This is an amazing mix in quad and it is worthy of a "10" for my vote.
This EMI quad was only available in SQ LP in South America I believe, and Q8 in the UK.I twice purchased this disc back in the 70's only to find a stereo copy in a quad sleeve.
So this disc is a true QUAD COLLECTOR'S MUST OWN!!
If you like chamber rock music you'll love this disc.Very creative use of strings.

Favourite track...."Nellie Takes Her Bow", good use of quad in the mix.

Now if only more ELO quad was released, I'd be most happy.Maybe it's time for the whole ELO catalog to recieve "surround treatment".??
Is this a part of a series which I failed to keep track of? Maybe Srormbringer and Barclay James Harvest are two of the others. If so, which are the five other titles?

I just got this disc. WOW , I love it. The mix is fantastic, and the music is really good too. I have been putting off buying this for quite a while, because I was afraid I wouldn't like the music. Really glad I finally got it. SUPER. I vote 10.

Is this essentially an ebay purchase? Where can one find a copy??

Is this a part of a series which I failed to keep track of? Maybe Srormbringer and Barclay James Harvest are two of the others. If so, which are the five other titles?

image.jpg

From L to R;

Top row =
Stormbringer / Deep Purple (CD + Quad DVD-V),
First Light / Electric Light Orchestra (CD + Quad DVD-V),
Machine Head / Deep Purple (40th Anniversary box w/Quad DVD-V & SQ encoded CD, etc),

Middle =
Free Hand / Gentle Giant (CD + Quad DVD-V - channel assignment problems, QQ thread all about it),
Machine Head / Deep Purple (Hybrid SACD w/Quad mix),
Once Again / Barclay James Harvest (40th Ann'y w/Quad DVD-V & SQ encoded CD),

Bottom =
Tubular Bells / Mike Oldfield (Hybrid SACD w/Quad mix),
A Space In Time / Ten Years After (as part of package with remastered Stereo LP; includes DVD-V w/Quad mix - N.B. Front L&R and Rear L&R pair are reversed),
In'terview / Gentle Giant (CD + Quad DVD-V - more channel assignment problems, QQ has dedicated thread).

View attachment 22528

From L to R;

Top row =
Stormbringer / Deep Purple (CD + Quad DVD-V),
First Light / Electric Light Orchestra (CD + Quad DVD-V),
Machine Head / Deep Purple (40th Anniversary box w/Quad DVD-V & SQ encoded CD, etc),

Middle =
Free Hand / Gentle Giant (CD + Quad DVD-V - channel assignment problems, QQ thread all about it),
Machine Head / Deep Purple (Hybrid SACD w/Quad mix),
Once Again / Barclay James Harvest (40th Ann'y w/Quad DVD-V & SQ encoded CD),

Bottom =
Tubular Bells / Mike Oldfield (Hybrid SACD w/Quad mix),
A Space In Time / Ten Years After (as part of package with remastered Stereo LP; includes DVD-V w/Quad mix - N.B. Front L&R and Rear L&R pair are reversed),
In'terview / Gentle Giant (CD + Quad DVD-V - more channel assignment problems, QQ has dedicated thread).

Obviously these are not all a part of the same series. The SACDs certainly not.

But the Deep Purple Machine Head w/ quad DVD-V, is that the UK quad mix (which I have read is preferred)?

Obviously these are not all a part of the same series. The SACDs certainly not.

But the Deep Purple Machine Head w/ quad DVD-V, is that the UK quad mix (which I have read is preferred)?

I don't think anyone said they were a series as such, fizzywiggs41 said;

"This is one of the best of the
EMI eight quad rock discs released.."

..about this ELO disc in particular.

The pics represent the EMI UK-issue Quad digital discs released on DVD/SACD etc that I am aware of...
including the 8 titles that fizzywiggs41 mentioned, plus the 40th Anniversary box set of Machine Head with the Quad in both SQ-encoded form on CD and in discrete 4-ch Quad on DVD-V..

I've no idea if its the UK mix as opposed to the U.S. CD-4, you'd have to ask one of the Quad experts here.. but if i had to lay money on it I would say it probably is the UK mix as the 40th set is a UK product, as was the SACD, I've never sat down and compared any of the Machine Heads, I just know I prefer the sound and most of the mixing decisions on the Rhino 5.1 DVD-A (which is an unpopular stance round here I know but there you go..)

Back