HiRez Poll Elfman, Danny - SERENADA SCHIZOPHRANA [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Danny Elfman - SERENADA SCHIZOPHRANA

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD release. (y):phones(n)

If you are a fan of Elfman's film work (as I am) you should enjoy this. I'm not sure it delves into much new stylistic territory beyond what you might hear in his film scores but it is entertaining and at times quite engrossing and adventurous. Much of the mix comes across as a typical classical approach with rears used for that 'concert hall effect' but fortunately it does goes beyond that - instruments are often prominently placed in center channel and occasionally featured more forcefully in rears. These more fully discrete moments are quite effective and I wish they would have committed to that configuration throughout. An 8.

This is quite a cool record, interesting compositions that I guess you could classify as slightly classical with a dark theme? 🤔 Probably best to say it's a classic Danny Elfman composition! And that's no bad thing...

It's slightly front focused - but it definitely has some nice moments where things are sent to the rears... Not bad at all - I'm going with an 8.

Anyone interested should check out the new The Nightmare Before Christmas Atmos release as it's really good and a pretty bonkers mix! 🤪 Also the 2 tracks from Oingo Boingo - Dead Man Science and Weird Science are both really good in Atmos...

Last edited:
Back