ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a response!

as I understand it BSS due this autumn trilogy early next year!

Disappointed if it's really true that "Trilogy" won't come out until early 2014. Like many on this forum, I was expecting it this year like originally announced, but oh well, we're all used to record company delays, aren't we?
Anyway, I invited Jakko over to this forum to discuss his current (and future) 5.1 work with us, the ones who most appreciate it. Hope he takes up the offer. We'll find out! :)

Disappointed if it's really true that "Trilogy" won't come out until early 2014. Like many on this forum, I was expecting it this year like originally announced, but oh well, we're all used to record company delays, aren't we?
Anyway, I invited Jakko over to this forum to discuss his current (and future) 5.1 work with us, the ones who most appreciate it. Hope he takes up the offer. We'll find out! :)

Thanks for the update Rt! Yes, sooner beats later, but with all the "hoarding" of already mixed 5.1 projects that record companies do, it is nice to know Trilogy will be out early next year. We just learned that Pretzel Logic 5.1 has been hoarded for 8 years by the record company. Ugh. It'd be nice to get that and the remaining Elton John 5.1 mixes. Side note:

Does anybody think we will ever see ELP Works Vol.I in 5.1? Pirates would be spectacular in 5.1. That track may be Greg's best vocal work with ELP and that is saying a lot.

A few amazon sites are now listing new "Trilogy" and "Brain Salad Surgery" vinyl releases for 10/15/13.
Don't know if these vinyl reissues are tied to the CD/DVD-A releases or if the DVD-As will be released on the same day, but I'll continue to keep an ever vigilant watch. :)

UPDATE:
New post on IMWAN forum:

Brain Salad Surgery is due in November.

The 4 disc version will be packaged like the recent Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" set. There will be a 5.1 disc.

Trilogy is right now looking like a 3 disc set in Feb or March.

Jakko M Jakszyk on Facebook:
Silesia Sound has been powered down.
The 'Salad' has been mixed.
And some Crimson coloured guitars sent off to my colleagues for further exploration.
In the wee hours, family Jakszyk head off to the Balearics for a coupe of weeks.
Sun, sand and battery recharging.

This is great news. Thanks for the update. But I wish the record company put Trilogy first. We already have the very excellent 5.1 BSS DVD-Audio.
I can wait for another 5.1 BSS, but Trilogy has yet to be done in 5.1.

Any thoughts if Works Vol. I will get the 5.1 treatment?

This is great news. Thanks for the update. But I wish the record company put Trilogy first. We already have the very excellent 5.1 BSS DVD-Audio.
I can wait for another 5.1 BSS, but Trilogy has yet to be done in 5.1.

Any thoughts if Works Vol. I will get the 5.1 treatment?

Agree about "Trilogy". It WAS suppose to be released at the same time as BSS, but like most great surround-related things, we must continue to wait.

It seems surround music is not a priority for record companies. Just be lucky we are getting a few in dribs and drabs.

I'm guessing that once they figured that both were not coming at once they decided to try get BSS out in time for its 40th anniversary. At least it sounds like the intent is for Trilogy early-ish in the new year and we won't be waiting until fall....I hope.

Since both "Trilogy" and "Brain Salad Surgery" are getting new stereo & 5.1 mixes, for me, I feel like "Brain Salad Surgery" needs the new stereo mix more than "Trilogy" does, while "Trilogy" needs the 5.1 mix more than BSS does (obviously). BSS in stereo has never sounded as good as the first 3 records to me (from a pure recording and mix standpoint)
It's a similar situation with the 2 Jethro Tull albums "Benefit" and "A Passion Play". "Benefit" needs the new stereo mix a LOT more than "A Passion Play" does, and yet while both albums have never been released in 5.1 before, "A Passion Play" benefits (see what I did there?) from a 5.1 mix more IMO simply because of its intricate nature.
But hopefully we'll have all four releases by this time next year. ;)

BSS in stereo sounds spectacular on the reel to reel tape that came out many years ago. Especially the first "track". Kind of funny to call tracks on tapes tracks.

I'll be very happy to get a brand new BSS this year :) The old one is getting a bit worn.

I've lost count of the numerous different versions of BSS I've got already, so this'll just have to be the only 40th Anniversary version I've got... though it could well turn out to be the 40th version of it I've bought over the years!!! :eek:

I'm guessing that once they figured that both were not coming at once they decided to try get BSS out in time for its 40th anniversary. At least it sounds like the intent is for Trilogy early-ish in the new year and we won't be waiting until fall....I hope.

I suspect you are right and their marketing people think they will get more sales from people who will buy anything based on some "anniversary" packaging versus people that would buy becasue it has something actually worth listening to like a great 5.1 mix which gives a whole diferent listening experience...

Yes, like Ransawaka said, we are lucky we get anything in 5.1. Fact is, if Steven Wilson hadn't fallen in love with 5.1 we would be in a world of hurt.

For me, I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky at the prospect of having the first 4 studio ELP records in stunning discrete 5.1. If more YES 5.1 comes out we will have the lionshare of YES-ELP-Genesis done in discrete 5.1. I can now die a happy man! Not that I am keen on dying, mind you...

Now, how bout Who's Next & the rest of Quadrophenia?... and when are Pink Floyd gonna get off the collective asses and give us The Wall in 5.1???

Yes, like Ransawaka said, we are lucky we get anything in 5.1. Fact is, if Steven Wilson hadn't fallen in love with 5.1 we would be in a world of hurt.

For me, I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky at the prospect of having the first 4 studio ELP records in stunning discrete 5.1. If more YES 5.1 comes out we will have the lionshare of YES-ELP-Genesis done in discrete 5.1. I can now die a happy man! Not that I am keen on dying, mind you...

Now, how bout Who's Next & the rest of Quadrophenia?... and when are Pink Floyd gonna get off the collective asses and give us The Wall in 5.1???

We really need to thank Steven Wilson AND Robert Fripp, cause more than likely, it was Steven's remixing of the King Crimson catalogue that set everything else in motion.

As far as "Who's Next" goes, missing tapes are holding that 5.1 mix back (but they could still do an EP, like Quadrophenia...)
It still infuriates me a bit that we only got 1/2 of Quadrophenia mixed in 5.1. Normally it is better to get some than none at all, but the Quad 5.1 mix for me was a little disappointing, especially when compared to all of the SW offerings. More than likely we only got 8 tracks cause that was all they could mix in time to get the release out...
As for the Wall, it's supposedly going to be mixed in 5.1, but just remember it took about 5 years for the "Wish You Were Here" mix to come out, so patience is REALLY a virtue with this one... https://www.facebook.com/surroundthewall ;)

As far as "Who's Next" goes, missing tapes are holding that 5.1 mix back (but they could still do an EP, like Quadrophenia...)
It still infuriates me a bit that we only got 1/2 of Quadrophenia mixed in 5.1. Normally it is better to get some than none at all, but the Quad 5.1 mix for me was a little disappointing, especially when compared to all of the SW offerings. More than likely we only got 8 tracks cause that was all they could mix in time to get the release out...
As for the Wall, it's supposedly going to be mixed in 5.1, but just remember it took about 5 years for the "Wish You Were Here" mix to come out, so patience is REALLY a virtue with this one... https://www.facebook.com/surroundthewall ;)

Hi RT, :)

I read somewhere where a sound engineer who did The Who(pardon the pun...) Has stated he has heard the multi-tracks and they in fact exist. I think this is another case of the label or artist conveniently saying "the tapes are lost" to mask their lack of interest in 5.1. Pete Townshend clearly has little interest in 5.1. Sad, cause his creations would benefit the most from 5.1 - all that wonderful layering & sequencing & horns The Who added. Just for the record, we only got 1/3rd of Quadrophenia in 5.1. :howl :howl Pete's comments on how that came about, shows how indifferent he is about 5.1.

As far as waiting years more for The Wall.... I ain't getting any younger baby! :howl :howl

If you promised me I would one day get Pink Floyd - Animals in 5.1; I think I could find some more patience. ;)

Hi RT, :)

I read somewhere where a sound engineer who did The Who(pardon the pun...) Has stated he has heard the multi-tracks and they in fact exist. I think this is another case of the label or artist conveniently saying "the tapes are lost" to mask their lack of interest in 5.1. Pete Townshend clearly has little interest in 5.1. Sad, cause his creations would benefit the most from 5.1 - all that wonderful layering & sequencing & horns The Who added. Just for the record, we only got 1/3rd of Quadrophenia in 5.1. :howl :howl Pete's comments on how that came about, shows how indifferent he is about 5.1.

As far as waiting years more for The Wall.... I ain't getting any younger baby! :howl :howl

If you promised me I would one day get Pink Floyd - Animals in 5.1; I think I could find some more patience. ;)

What I had heard was that tapes were missing for "Bargain", "The Song Is Over", and "Getting In Tune". Is it entirely possible they "found" them since then? Of course it is, but that's what I had originally heard.
And yes, "Animals" would be great for 5.1 (as would all of the Pink Floyd records) ;)

I've retold the incident on here before of the time I met a guy (housemate of my partner's work colleague, name Mark, I don't know anymore than that) who told me he worked on the tapes for Who's Next (I didn't ask him for what purpose) and after I'd said something along the lines of "a shame some of the master tapes for it are missing.. so they couldn't do a surround mix", he explicitly told me that the multi's for the whole of the Who's Next album are in Universal's London tape facility, all there ready to be pulled anytime you like, nothing is missing at all.

He added that the general feeling among people he worked with was that 5.1 music was either a novelty, or not of interest to them and/or not of enough interest to the paying public to make remixing worthwhile.

He also talked about the work he'd just done pulling tapes for the Elton vs. Pnau remix project, which was of as much interest to me as anything. he was unaware transfers of the Elton multi's had been done for surround remixes years ago and that at no point was any mention made of there being anything like that as a precedent so they spent months and months transferring the multi's so they could be worked on for the Pnau remix album. a decent guy and he had some cool info & stories but a bit of a bittersweet conversation.

He added that the general feeling among people he worked with was that 5.1 music was either a novelty, or not of interest to them and/or not of enough interest to the paying public to make remixing worthwhile.

that's sad reality that such decisions in the hands of the folks like these guy, responsible for BD-A at UMG.
thanks god artists lately started to show interest to remixing of their works into 5.1
almost flood of new pop 5.1 titles we got last and this year, in fact was initiated by an artists and none
of them by the labels. oh well, maybe except of Van Morrison.

that's sad reality that such decisions in the hands of the folks like these guy, responsible for BD-A at UMG.
thanks god artists lately started to show interest to remixing of their works into 5.1
almost flood of new pop 5.1 titles we got last and this year, in fact was initiated by an artists and none
of them by the labels. oh well, maybe except of Van Morrison.

yeah.. nice enough guy and all that but it was pretty disheartening to hear such a dismissal of surround music... it is only one guy's opinion on it all but it kind of adds to my long-held suspicion that the industry has little time for 5.1 music, bordering on contempt even!

I had another whole conversation that took on a rather depressing note with a BBC Radio 3 engineer I got chatting to at a friends' wedding this Summer, I was waxing lyrical on the virtues of surround and Hi-Res etc to him.. at one point he said "well can you tell the difference between 256kbps mp3 and your SACDs?" to which I looked him dead in the eye and said "Yes! Yes, I can!".. and that's from a guy at a radio station that doesn't serve up chart pop, its' remit is mainly Classical & Opera :mad:@:

Back