ELP Fanfare Box Set (With 5.1 Surround Mixes on Blu-Ray) Coming Soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received a response from Jon Wilson @ BMG regarding the ELP Blu-Ray:

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for the mistake you discovered on the ELP Box set Blu-Ray, which has been brought to my attention – please accept our sincere apologies. I’m the product manager at BMG who lovingly put this set together.

We worked so very hard on making this box set, for several months, and I’m extremely disappointed and upset we didn’t pick upon this error, despite high standards of quality control and repeated proof checks by several people here. One problem was, the mistake was made on the copy, which became the CD wallet artwork we referred to for checking against the Blu-ray test disc. We should have known ‘Abaddon’s Bolero’ was in the wrong place though, I was horrified to learn we‘d got this wrong.

We are looking into getting the disc re-authored and remanufactured. It will probably take several weeks but I’ll keep you posted and make sure you receive one when we do.

Hope you enjoy the set, and the incredible music this great band produced, despite this issue.

Kind regards

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just received a response from Jon Wilson @ BMG regarding the ELP Blu-Ray:

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for the mistake you discovered on the ELP Box set Blu-Ray, which has been brought to my attention – please accept our sincere apologies. I’m the product manager at BMG who lovingly put this set together.

We worked so very hard on making this box set, for several months, and I’m extremely disappointed and upset we didn’t pick upon this error, despite high standards of quality control and repeated proof checks by several people here. One problem was, the mistake was made on the copy, which became the CD wallet artwork we referred to for checking against the Blu-ray test disc. We should have known ‘Abaddon’s Bolero’ was in the wrong place though, I was horrified to learn we‘d got this wrong.

We are looking into getting the disc re-authored and remanufactured. It will probably take several weeks but I’ll keep you posted and make sure you receive one when we do.

Hope you enjoy the set, and the incredible music this great band produced, despite this issue.

Kind regards

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This time I'm not gonna feel bad sayin', "I told you so"!!!!...although, honestly , I wish it hadn't been like that...

I'll give him high marks for his response and pledge to fix the error, but are they going to re-ship the corrected version to everyone who ordered one, or just Ryan? Or just those who complain? And are they going to halt shipments in the interim, until the corrected version is ready? I wonder how many box sets have already been sold, and what the cost hit to BMG would be if they have to replace all the existing copies out there. Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Last edited:
If anyone's disappointed enough to opt for the 2000 DVD-A of BSS, there's one for sale in the Swap Meet forum. ;)

Wow, thanks for confirming my pre-order buy logic. :)

Hmm... let me think about this... do a little math...
$45 (dollar a minute) for a 17-year-old used DVD-A that I can't play at full resolution...
vs. $174 for all four surround albums on one blu-ray, plus all the stereo material, books and ephemera...
Upheld upon re-examination. :sun

(No offense, Colorado Dave, your price is not out of line, just saying...
Hope the first snowstorm of the season isn't nailing you too bad right now.)

Sorry if anyone who bought the DVDs has seen his portfolio drop in value.
Especially if you were sandbagging extras planning to double or triple your investment. ;)

As somebody sang somewhere once upon a time, C'est La Vie...

Now that you have his attention, do you plan to bring the mix errors up with him?

This just in from sh.tv.
Apparently one flaw on the stereo Works re-master did get secretly corrected for this box set.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...audio-out-9-29-17.684748/page-9#post-17328888

But doggone it all to heck, you guys really and truly do beat just about everything, you know that? :rolleyes:

I'm grooving high right this minute on BSS.
I distinctly heard bass RR on KE9 1st just now.
I'm listening critically, and freaking loving the mix!

It just rolled to the next track, 3rd Impression, the one that get's on everybody's nerves.
To my ears, there seems to be plenty of all the other mix elements, the prominent bass is wonderful surrounding the room beneath them.

Sorry, my last word on this tiresome topic, Scout's Honor. :couch

Happy Columbus Day! 525 Years!

Wow, thanks for confirming my pre-order buy logic. :)

Hmm... let me think about this... do a little math...
$45 (dollar a minute) for a 17-year-old used DVD-A that I can't play at full resolution...
vs. $174 for all four surround albums on one blu-ray, plus all the stereo material, books and ephemera...
Upheld upon re-examination. :sun

(No offense, Colorado Dave, your price is not out of line, just saying...
Hope the first snowstorm of the season isn't nailing you too bad right now.)

No offense taken :) the snow is gone, the sun is out, the birds are singin'...typical snow day in this mile high paradise.

Why can't you play the DVD-A at full resolution?

The value proposition is there, for anyone (most of us) who already have the DVD-A's of the first 3 albums and see no sense in shelling out $175 to buy the exact same music again, along with all of the useless extras that are worth maybe $5 more. Since you're the only one on the planet to profess a preference for JJ's entirely unlistenable 3rd impression, I'm thinking there is someone (everyone?) who would jump at the chance to own the only existing decent multichannel mix of BSS in case they don't already have it.

When you come to your senses and are ready to negotiate, I'm here for ya. :D

Why can't you play the DVD-A at full resolution?

Cheap Sony blu-ray player.
Didn't you get the memo?
DVD-A is dead.
The major manufacturers see no reason to support it any longer on new consumer-priced "universal" platforms.

Too bad Jethro Tull and King Crimson didn't get the memo, either.
I'm stuck listening to all that fantastic newly-released stuff in "lossy" 24/48 DTS 5.1.

As it happens, though, since I'm almost 64 and use $7k worth of hi-tech hearing aids to semi-correct my ears that fall off a cliff above 4k...

I'm just as fat and happy as if I had normal hearing and good sense. :walker

I'll give him high marks for his response and pledge to fix the error, but are they going to re-ship the corrected version to everyone who ordered one, or just Ryan? Or just those who complain? And are they going to halt shipments in the interim, until the corrected version is ready? I wonder how many box sets have already been sold, and what the cost hit to BMG would be if they have to replace all the existing copies out there. Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

I'm sure they will either ship out a corrected copy to everyone who already has their set, or what they may do is set up an email system whereby the buyer has to email BMG proof of purchase info and their mailing address and then BMG will send out a corrected Blu-Ray to the buyer.
Either way I'm sure we'll here more definitive plans in a few weeks once new copies are ready to be shipped out.

:)

Now that you have his attention, do you plan to bring the mix errors up with him?

I'm guessing I have to now since I got their attention and you all know about it.
Don't get me wrong. I want that KE9 3rd Impression 5.1 mix fixed, but I already know it's gonna be much harder convincing them to fix that mix than it is to simply move "Abaddon's Bolero" to its correct playlist.
We didn't get a corrected DVDA-V back in 2014, and I think it would have been easier to get the fix done then that it is now...
But who knows?
I doubt anything will happen, but I'll see what I can do...

I'm guessing I have to now since I got their attention and you all know about it.
Don't get me wrong. I want that KE9 3rd Impression 5.1 mix fixed, but I already know it's gonna be much harder convincing them to fix that mix than it is to simply move "Abaddon's Bolero" to its correct playlist.
We didn't get a corrected DVDA-V back in 2014, and I think it would have been easier to get the fix done then that it is now...
But who knows?

Maybe suggest (again) that the vinyl-only stuff be given to buyers as downloads - send out the download cards/codes with the corrected blu-ray discs. I'd like to hear this stuff but have no turntable.

But who knows?

Ok, I have also told Jon about the unusually loud bass guitar in the "Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression" 5.1 mix and he said they will check that out as well.
I honestly don't think anything will be done about it, but at least now they know...

(y)

My box set arrived last week (on my 60th!), but I was in London. I finally opened it today, you get a lot for your money (and I didn't have all the albums anyway). So I decided to start backwards chronologically with the CDs, as I had never heard the later albums. 1994's "In The Hot Seat" good, especially "Daddy", and a cover of "Man In The Long Black Coat", 1992's "Black Moon", loved it all, it just struck a chord with me, 1978's "Love Beach", well its not as bad as I had thought it would be, but if it had been the first of theirs rather than their 1st, "ELP", I'd heard all those years ago back in 1970, I'd have left the rest in the Record Shop. Looking forward to the rest and all those Live recordings. The book with it is well done and informative, apart from the fact that I would have liked full track listings and associated nerdy facts for each album, plus its easier to read than the CD jackets!

Cheap Sony blu-ray player.
Didn't you get the memo?
DVD-A is dead.
The major manufacturers see no reason to support it any longer on new consumer-priced "universal" platforms.

Too bad Jethro Tull and King Crimson didn't get the memo, either.
I'm stuck listening to all that fantastic newly-released stuff in "lossy" 24/48 DTS 5.1.

As it happens, though, since I'm almost 64 and use $7k worth of hi-tech hearing aids to semi-correct my ears that fall off a cliff above 4k...

I'm just as fat and happy as if I had normal hearing and good sense. :walker

You could pick up a nice DVD-A player cheap. Great ones are out there, but then you have another piece of equipment to deal with, and all those wires and 64 on top of that, never mind, I'm sorry.

Any word if they are going to replace the "Trilogy" BD with "Abbadon's Bolero" as a ...bonus track???? (how stupid can you be?)

I was told that they are working on a replacement Blu-ray Disc, but it could be several weeks before it's ready.
If I hear any other updates about this, I will let all of you know.

I listened to Trilogy on the BDA for the first time yesterday and it was the one thing that really bugged me, there is me expecting Abandon's Bolero and it jumps to the Bonus Tracks menu!

Any word if they are going to replace the "Trilogy" BD with "Abbadon's Bolero" as a ...bonus track???? (how stupid can you be?)

Back