ELP Fanfare Box Set (With 5.1 Surround Mixes on Blu-Ray) Coming Soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine just arrived
11a3b8b5-2be7-423e-874c-e067de5997d7-jpeg.68039
If mine had arrived upside down like yours...I'd be super pissed.

Got mine today as well. I'm scared to put the blu ray in to see if they corrected the mistake.
I’m not opening mine up not yet anyhow, I’ve got all the Multi’s that are available except for BSS the one from 2014 which I hear is inferior from the DVD-A from 2000 which I have multiple copies of in different formats. Just got it to actually see (eventually) if the BR disc sounds better then the DVD-A’s…let me know once you check yours out, but it’s just a REPRESS…so the error is still probably there

I ordered from Import CD on June 11th and was able to use the 10% coupon, however now its out of stock and on back order so haven't received any notification :cautious:

I’m not opening mine up not yet anyhow, I’ve got all the Multi’s that are available except for BSS the one from 2014 which I hear is inferior from the DVD-A from 2000 which I have multiple copies of in different formats. Just got it to actually see (eventually) if the BR disc sounds better then the DVD-A’s…let me know once you check yours out, but it’s just a REPRESS…so the error is still probably there
I'm no audiophile like some here, but I've yet to read about there being an audible difference between a blu ray and DVD or SACD if it's the same mastering/mix.

I'm no audiophile like some here, but I've yet to read about there being an audible difference between a blu ray and DVD or SACD if it's the same mastering/mix.
Thanks for that ….. if one of you audiophiles out there can give a complete rundown between the BR/SACD & DVD-A’s please do so 😊👍

I am. As well as a recording engineer and sound guy. There is no difference if they hold the same master. Even with format transcode or sample rate conversion between those containers. Compare the result audio with null tests and it nulls down past -90db. (With the volume levels exactly matched between them. Should they be different out of the box.)

These formats are robust too. They aren't some fragile thing that suddenly sounds like a 64k mp3 if you even so much as alter the volume level a little (without clipping). I see comments that suggest such dramatic fragility sometimes. When you hear stuff that's just obviously off. Blown out loud or shrill or both is common. That has zero to do with any of these formats. You can make a lot of errant generational hits on the audio and still not do much damage. Someone needs to work pretty hard doing the sonic damage behind the mixing/mastering board to achieve the screwed up masters we often get.

Yeah, so you're gonna get all the same flaws you're used to in all these.

Last edited:
Anyway, I just checked. "Abaddon's Bolero" is still in the extra tracks section of Trilogy.
So this was not fixed?! Dear lord. 100% just a repress with the same mix up with Bolero in the extra track section of Trilogy versus where it should be. . . This is so maddening. Why!?

So...are these the same as the 5.1 DVD-A mixes? I have the DVD-A's of the 1st, Tarkus, Trilogy and Brain Salad and debating on whether to get this & retire the others. Any differences in sound quality? Help!

I got the 1st run of the box set and I too have all the stand alone dvd-a by ELP. I didn’t hear a difference. Personally I felt like they hastily loaded the 4 albums on the blu ray. I thought they would have done a nicer job with menu and visuals. I ended up giving away the box set. I thought I kept the blu ray but I gave away that too! Sucks I wasted $180. Again, I wish ELP’s catalog would receive much better attention and care.

Back