ELP - Pictures At An Exhibition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ssully said:
The 1977 Montreal concert on the DVD isn't bad at all. Certainly not 'horrible', IMO. Source material appears to be videotape (whether the original, or a copy, I don't know), there's that typical softness about it. But it looks and sounds acceptable.

Thanks..it was bad on VHS but then everything on VHS looks bad after you have DVD and Hidef satellite..:)

Appreciate your post as I might as well get the DVD - I was afraid it wouldn't be much better on DVD..

Just dug this one out - released on Classic Pictures. Not bad considering it's a live concert from 1970. Keith Emerson is a bit over the top here - pretty interesting to see him grapple with the then unwieldly Moog - some pitch problems - his Hammond playing is bit more satisfying. Palmer and Lake fare a bit better (IMHO), vocals sound pretty good all things considered.

Pictures is one of my all time favorite classical pieces. It was a real treat to see the Boston Symphony Orchestra perform this under the stars at Tangelwood a few years back. Still this is a fun, if dated find - definitely worth checking out if your a fan.

Here's something that drives me nuts:mad: I rely upon music press whether in print or on line to help me discover what is new and interesting out there in the music world - whether it is surround or not. After watching the DVD of Pictures Of An Exhibition the other day, I was quite happy to see a review of a new SACD version on Audiophile Audition - http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=1153. In the review the writer mentions a brilliant version by the great Japanese guitarist Yamaguchi - not aware of a solo guitar version of Pictures, I immediately went on a search -but the great Japanese guitarist Yamaguchi was no where to be found - finally, I discovered the great Japanese guitarist whose brilliant and stunning version of Pictures At An Exhibition redefines solo classical guitar - Kazuhito Yamashita - not only are there recordings of him available, but so is the written musical score of his arrangement!(y)

So if you fancy yourself a "journalist" then get your facts right -

"There have been a number of transcriptions of The Great Gate of Kiev finale of Pictures - including as part of the entire Pictures played by the amazing guitarist Yamaguchi." - John Sunier (or Soonier)

Needless to say I had to do the writer's research for him - but how insulting is it to "recall" an artists name incorrectly if you present yourself as "writer/music journalist" - Yamaguchi, Yamamoto, Yamaha - whatever - one of those names.

Thank you my rant is over!

I know there's no surround version of the 1971 release--just the DVD of the live performance from 1970 that Cai began this thread with, way back when (and whose 5.1 mix is pretty underwhelming), and the 1993 studio version from Return of the Manticore. But I figured it was worth marking the record's 50th anniversary, and so did jazz writer Marc Myers, in the Wall Street Journal (not paywalled for once!):
https://www.wsj.com/articles/pictur...odest-mussorgsky-moog-synthesiser-11635973941

Back