• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

ELP Welcolme Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends, Quad.

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

notfer

Plenty patient here- appreciate the effort.

I was able to unzip disc 2 (the 2nd link), but opening tracks in foobar resulted in white noise. The ELP and Kraftwerk would not unzip: I got an unspecified error for both KW and ELP sections. Patiently awaiting any further updates/ instructions/ whatever. Very excited that the whole KW catalog in surround is included!
Hi, I was able to unzip both the ELP and Kraftwerk iso files using Winrar. I made a DVD out of the Karftwerk one an it works. I didn't bother on the ELP one because of rikpepe's last message.
The Kraftwerk DVD has menus and works very well.
You might want to use Winrar or if that doesn't work, download again.

ProgRules

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi, I was able to unzip both the ELP and Kraftwerk iso files using Winrar. I made a DVD out of the Karftwerk one an it works. I didn't bother on the ELP one because of rikpepe's last message.
The Kraftwerk DVD has menus and works very well.
You might want to use Winrar or if that doesn't work, download again.
Good advice- I did have trouble d/l'ing- it stopped and had to be restarted again numerous times.

I tried ti re-d/l, but that link is no longer good. I will seek out winrar and try that. Thanks.

notfer

Well, when I burned the Kraftwerk DVD I only tried the first two albums and they worked. But now that I tried the rest, it seems that the disc only contains the first 4 albums. The rest are not there.
The menus show all the albums, songs and audio selection, but when you try to play the rest it simply stops.
I hope rikpepe can make this one work too.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
"Wally Heider Recording Studio in Los Angeles was responsible for sound on Feb. 10, 1974, at the Anaheim Convention Center, where Welcome Back, My Friends was taped just a few months after the release of Brain Salad Surgery. Their team assembled the 36-ton quadrophonic system for concertgoers, and a 24-track, 40-input mobile recording unit for the album, before 22,000 fans entered the venue. "

Which only intensifies the mystery: why is the sound so bad?

Ranasakawa

900 Club - QQ All-Star
"Wally Heider Recording Studio in Los Angeles was responsible for sound on Feb. 10, 1974, at the Anaheim Convention Center, where Welcome Back, My Friends was taped just a few months after the release of Brain Salad Surgery. Their team assembled the 36-ton quadrophonic system for concertgoers, and a 24-track, 40-input mobile recording unit for the album, before 22,000 fans entered the venue. "

I guess the reason there was no re-mix done tells us the multi-track tapes are either missing or sound like crap.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter

I've heard the quad 8-tracks of "Welcome Back..." It's a weird mix because for some of the songs, there is nothing in the rear channels. For other songs, you get the ambiance of the echo-y hall in the rears. I believe (but can't prove) that when they made the stereo mix, they included the mics that picked up the hall ambiance - mics which should have been muted.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Another "bad quad" that I'd love for DV to tackle.
As much as i love that triple set (and shelled out a big $ for the first japanese issue on cd back in the days) this is something i doesn't hold my breath on. Sure, for me it will be a instant buy but with all the reissue done by the ELP camp, remixing and so on, the basic fact that this has never been cosidered at all for a modern mch treatment make me think the multi or the quads are rotten or missing.

albertop

QQ Supporter
As much as i love that triple set (and shelled out a big $ for the first japanese issue on cd back in the days) this is something i doesn't hold my breath on. Sure, for me it will be a instant buy but with all the reissue done by the ELP camp, remixing and so on, the basic fact that this has never been cosidered at all for a modern mch treatment make me think the multi or the quads are rotten or missing.
Agree. I can definitely live without this quad mix. With ELP, I've only been satisfied with the old BSS mix, not the new one. I've heard Trilogy and Tarkus once in 5.0, but I wasn't overly excited about the surround experience.

Group builder