ELP Welcolme Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends, Quad.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty patient here- appreciate the effort.

I was able to unzip disc 2 (the 2nd link), but opening tracks in foobar resulted in white noise. The ELP and Kraftwerk would not unzip: I got an unspecified error for both KW and ELP sections. Patiently awaiting any further updates/ instructions/ whatever. Very excited that the whole KW catalog in surround is included!

Hi, I was able to unzip both the ELP and Kraftwerk iso files using Winrar. I made a DVD out of the Karftwerk one an it works. I didn't bother on the ELP one because of rikpepe's last message.
The Kraftwerk DVD has menus and works very well.
You might want to use Winrar or if that doesn't work, download again.

Hi, I was able to unzip both the ELP and Kraftwerk iso files using Winrar. I made a DVD out of the Karftwerk one an it works. I didn't bother on the ELP one because of rikpepe's last message.
The Kraftwerk DVD has menus and works very well.
You might want to use Winrar or if that doesn't work, download again.

Good advice- I did have trouble d/l'ing- it stopped and had to be restarted again numerous times.

I tried ti re-d/l, but that link is no longer good. I will seek out winrar and try that. Thanks.

Well, when I burned the Kraftwerk DVD I only tried the first two albums and they worked. But now that I tried the rest, it seems that the disc only contains the first 4 albums. The rest are not there.
The menus show all the albums, songs and audio selection, but when you try to play the rest it simply stops.
I hope rikpepe can make this one work too.

"Wally Heider Recording Studio in Los Angeles was responsible for sound on Feb. 10, 1974, at the Anaheim Convention Center, where Welcome Back, My Friends was taped just a few months after the release of Brain Salad Surgery. Their team assembled the 36-ton quadrophonic system for concertgoers, and a 24-track, 40-input mobile recording unit for the album, before 22,000 fans entered the venue. "
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/emerson-lake-and-palmer-welcome-back-my-friends/
Which only intensifies the mystery: why is the sound so bad?

"Wally Heider Recording Studio in Los Angeles was responsible for sound on Feb. 10, 1974, at the Anaheim Convention Center, where Welcome Back, My Friends was taped just a few months after the release of Brain Salad Surgery. Their team assembled the 36-ton quadrophonic system for concertgoers, and a 24-track, 40-input mobile recording unit for the album, before 22,000 fans entered the venue. "
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/emerson-lake-and-palmer-welcome-back-my-friends/

I guess the reason there was no re-mix done tells us the multi-track tapes are either missing or sound like crap.

I've heard the quad 8-tracks of "Welcome Back..." It's a weird mix because for some of the songs, there is nothing in the rear channels. For other songs, you get the ambiance of the echo-y hall in the rears. I believe (but can't prove) that when they made the stereo mix, they included the mics that picked up the hall ambiance - mics which should have been muted.

Another "bad quad" that I'd love for DV to tackle.

As much as i love that triple set (and shelled out a big $ for the first japanese issue on cd back in the days) this is something i doesn't hold my breath on. Sure, for me it will be a instant buy but with all the reissue done by the ELP camp, remixing and so on, the basic fact that this has never been cosidered at all for a modern mch treatment make me think the multi or the quads are rotten or missing.

As much as i love that triple set (and shelled out a big $ for the first japanese issue on cd back in the days) this is something i doesn't hold my breath on. Sure, for me it will be a instant buy but with all the reissue done by the ELP camp, remixing and so on, the basic fact that this has never been cosidered at all for a modern mch treatment make me think the multi or the quads are rotten or missing.
Agree. I can definitely live without this quad mix. With ELP, I've only been satisfied with the old BSS mix, not the new one. I've heard Trilogy and Tarkus once in 5.0, but I wasn't overly excited about the surround experience.

It's a shame there's no good release of this as I'd like to hear it. I was at the show on August 4, 1974 at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium.
As far as I recall, the quad sound system was pretty good. The banks of surround speakers were in the upper deck so the quad effects
were quite effective especially since my friends and I got a place to sit near the center of the speakers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_of_Rock

Back