Elton John in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would also LOVE to see EJ's magnificent 17~11~70 Concert remixed into 5.1/ATMOS if the original multi tracks still exist!
11-17-70 (remastered)

One of the greatest live albums ever.

I'm going to be honest: before we get Atmos I kinda want those unreleased Elton John SACDs.

oh i'd absolutely love the unreleased 5.1's of the other 70's albums too but at this point i feel we might be hoping for something fairly unlikely now all these new Atmos mixes have come out idk?

in the meanwhile, did you check out some of the Atmos mixes? i'd say in the case of almost all of the '76 and beyond material there's lots to be cheerful about from a Surround perspective, a lot of really very cool mixes in there that are very Surround-y 🥳🥰

One of the greatest live albums ever.

its a diamond-y Live gem for sure! 💎🤓💘

while not quite of the same ilk maybe, another Live EJ release kinda Historic in its' own right, Greg Penny also mixed the "Here & There" live expanded 2-disc set thingymabob in 5.1 afaik.. and that too never came out of the vault! ahh.. woodentitbeeluvverlee if they all came out..!!! 🤤😋😍

still i'm thankful for all the great stuff we are getting in Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio from a whole raft of nifty artistes, there's cool new tracks dropping seemingly daily! 🤩

Would also LOVE to see EJ's magnificent 17~11~70 Concert remixed into 5.1/ATMOS if the original multi tracks still exist!
11-17-70 (remastered)

despite the blurb in the booklets about using the original mixes (etc) when Gus revisited 17-11-70 in the 90's for The Classic Years series there was some weirdness going on that felt to me like remixing (and not necessarily all beneficial.. hmm 🤔) so maybe that's a sign multi's are/were in existence idk?

tbh i find it such a visceral experience its one i'm quite happy to lap up in (shock horror!) Stereo and the RSD 2LP issue that has all the tracks (though not in the right order!) wasn't bad-sounding at all i thought 😋

By Jupiter, you are correct, Adam. As one is getting on in years ...the mind wanders. Still curious who is repressing those EJ titles?

it is a very good question indeed, Ralphiepie! 🤗 one i've asked aloud on QQ too over the years! several UMG MultiCh SACDs seemingly remain in print to this day, quite bizarre methunkzz.. 🙃

it is a very good question indeed, Ralphiepie! 🤗 one i've asked aloud on QQ too over the years! several UMG MultiCh SACDs seemingly remain in print to this day, quite bizarre methunkzz.. 🙃

Unless some little elves are sneaking into the shuttered Terre Haute, Indiana plant at night and commandeering those once bustling SACD presses??????

In hindsight, I wish Dutton Vocalion had taken up Universal Music on their offer to release the unreleased Elton John 5.1 remixes .... provided they also repressed the already extant John Multi~CH SACDs which BTW, are still in print [at least EJ's eponymous album, Tumbleweed and Madman].

I wonder, BTW, who is responsible for repressing those titles since I just purchased back~ups of those three aforementioned Multi~CH SACDs from Deep Discount for $8 each [minus 10%] and they still come in Super Audio cases but no indication that they're pressed either in the EU or Austria since the initial batch in the early 00's were definitely pressed in Sony's Terre Haute Indiana pressing plant. Hmmm!

That wasn't D-V, that was AF.

I'm still only on a 5.1 system at the moment, but I'm absolutely floored by how good some of these Atmos mixes sound down mixed to 5.1 surround

:)

Seconding this sentiment. This is nice work. Comes across great in 5.1. I'm coming at this from a different angle to many here - my musical consciousness started in the mid-late 1980's: I loved Sacrifice, which was my introduction to Elton (!). I am hearing tracks like Nikita (topical?) and Believe and... wow.

As with others here, I have all the Elton SACD's. But this 80's child would like Healing Hands, Club At The End of The Street, Too Low For Zero, Circle of Life...

Some songs are not playing back in Atmos for me: Rocket Man, Daniel, Honkey Cat, Crocodile Rock so far. Rocket Man always played in Atmos previously without issue. Anyone else experiencing this? Strange as it seems to be random which ones play correctly and which one don’t. I’m on Apple Music, in the US. Hopefully just a temporary glitch.

I'm still only on a 5.1 system at the moment, but I'm absolutely floored by how good some of these Atmos mixes sound down mixed to 5.1 surround

:)

there's so much new Atmos music being added to Apple Music even just today but i keep coming back to Diamonds and playing it over and over, for me its an absolutely stunning Surround collection and goes some way towards righting the wrong of the cancellation of that second wave of 5.1 EJ SACDs from all those years ago 👍✌️

hopefully the success of this compilation means Greg Penny now has the Green Light to go for it and remix absolutely everything left of Elton's back catalogue in Dolby Atmos 🤞

there are some seriously good new mixes here that elevate tracks i'd heard enough of to being tracks i can't get enough of! (Sad Songs Say So Much, Little Jeannie, Nikita, I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, Blue Eyes, I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That)..

then there are tracks that are so superb in Atmos you can't imagine them ever having been in anything else! (The One, Empty Garden, Song For Guy, I'm Still Standing, Kiss The Bride, Can You Feel The Love Tonight)..

there are the 70's Classics i'd been longing to hear in Surround (Daniel, Crocodile Rock, Bitch Is Back, Pinball Wizard, Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word, Island Girl, Don't Go Breaking My Heart) and for the most part they do not disappoint..

even some of the latter day tracks i never cared for all that much (Home Again, Electricity, Looking Up) i'm finding myself really enjoying in the new mixes..

..and then there are those tracks that sound so wonderful, far and away the best i've ever heard them (Are You Ready For Love?, Skyline Pigeon, True Love, Part Time Love, Live Like Horses) the upgrade in sound quality is just breathtaking 🥰

fingers crossed Greg Penny can do it all in Atmos, the individual Classic albums, the rest of the studio albums, the live albums, you name it! alright, i might even be able to stomach Victim Of Love, Ice On Fire and Leather Jackets if he redoes them in Atmos! mmmm... maybe.. 😂😅

This is so good! Listening to Tiny Dancer right now. The Atmos mix is open and airy, better than the mix on the SACD. Only down side, in the complex parts I think I hear a twinge of compression artifacts. Could be just my old ears.

Now Rocket Man plays…one of my personal top ten songs. To be enveloped by the music here seems so right. Sublime :)

Some songs are not playing back in Atmos for me: Rocket Man, Daniel, Honkey Cat, Crocodile Rock so far. Rocket Man always played in Atmos previously without issue. Anyone else experiencing this? Strange as it seems to be random which ones play correctly and which one don’t. I’m on Apple Music, in the US. Hopefully just a temporary glitch.
All those are playing Atmos here in US Michigan. As you said, likely a temporary issue. It really sounds great, almost too good to be true :)

Apparently I recalled wrong, hadn’t played the SACD in a while which does indeed have the guitar in the left surround. I’d rate the SACD as the best version of the two, but it’s close. If I didn’t have the SACD I’d be quite happy with the Atmos version from Apple.
I’m curious. We agree that the lead guitar is solidly in the left surround on the SACD. “Where” do you hear it in the ATMOS version? For me it’s between the surround left and front left, but it’s much harder to hear the detail. It sounds awash in reverb, distant?

This is so good! Listening to Tiny Dancer right now. The Atmos mix is open and airy, better than the mix on the SACD. Only down side, in the complex parts I think I hear a twinge of compression artifacts. Could be just my old ears.

Now Rocket Man plays…one of my personal top ten songs. To be enveloped by the music here seems so right. Sublime :)

i heard some swirly/swimmy/swooshy type artefacts but many were only at their most noticeable when i was going right up to the speakers to see exactly what was coming out of them, especially the Height channels to see if/how GP had used them and if these were indeed new Atmos mixes or rehashes of the old 5.1's and then boom(!) i'd get my comeuppance when there'd be some layer of backing vocals pop up in a Height speaker that was never even in the mix at all in the original and i'd stop fretting about the swooshing and just get absorbed in the mix as a whole again! 😅😆💝

I’m curious. We agree that the lead guitar is solidly in the left surround on the SACD. “Where” do you hear it in the ATMOS version? For me it’s between the surround left and front left, but it’s much harder to hear the detail. It sounds awash in reverb, distant?

i was flicking back and forth on this one and the Atmos has it squarely in the Rear Left on my setup just like the SACD but there seems to be more reverb on the lead vocals and those reverbed vocals feel more prominent in the Rears than on the SACD somehow

Back