Elton John in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m really enjoying these Elton Atmos mixes, except for one single exception: “Rocket Man”. Very weird mix. First off the harmonies just leap out during the chorus, way too loud (although I love to hear those boys sing). Secondly the wonderful arp synthesizer part that extends through the second half of the last verse is mixed way back at times. Both of these two changes are significantly different than the original mix and the (superior IMO) 5.1 mix from the SACD.
I love Greg Penny’s work and this is the only gripe I’ve ever had with him. It’s too bad it’s in regard to such an iconic song.
Didn't he do this mix as a one-off sometime before tackling the others...?

Didn't he do this mix as a one-off sometime before tackling the others...?
I believe that’s true. In his lengthy discussion of the mixes at the Eltonjohn.com website (a wonderful read, btw), he breaks many songs down, and confirms what you wrote. He discusses a few differences from his previous mix of “Rocket Man”—like additional reverb on the word “high”—which he’s proud of. Well… my curmudgeonly old self just finds that change distracting. But your point is well taken if you mean it to say he was trying to demonstrate the potential of Atmos for that mix and so he took more risks. I’m really glad he’s gotten more conservative in terms of sticking to the original mix as a guideline for the rest of his work on Elton’s catalog, at least so far from what I’ve heard. The problem was, to me, not the use of space and location/placement of parts but rather altering their relative volume. But listen, overall the man’s work is fantastic, I’m tremendously grateful for the continued release of these EJ Atmos tracks, and count me in as one more fan desperate to hear the unreleased Classic Years 5.1 mixes.

I believe that’s true. In his lengthy discussion of the mixes at the Eltonjohn.com website (a wonderful read, btw), he breaks many songs down, and confirms what you wrote. He discusses a few differences from his previous mix of “Rocket Man”—like additional reverb on the word “high”—which he’s proud of. Well… my curmudgeonly old self just finds that change distracting. But your point is well taken if you mean it to say he was trying to demonstrate the potential of Atmos for that mix and so he took more risks. I’m really glad he’s gotten more conservative in terms of sticking to the original mix as a guideline for the rest of his work on Elton’s catalog, at least so far from what I’ve heard. The problem was, to me, not the use of space and location/placement of parts but rather altering their relative volume. But listen, overall the man’s work is fantastic, I’m tremendously grateful for the continued release of these EJ Atmos tracks, and count me in as one more fan desperate to hear the unreleased Classic Years 5.1 mixes.
+1 for those unreleased Classic Years 5.1 mixes. Personally I hope 5.1 continues to sit side by side with Atmos mixes.

I’m really enjoying these Elton Atmos mixes, except for one single exception: “Rocket Man”. Very weird mix. First off the harmonies just leap out during the chorus, way too loud (although I love to hear those boys sing). Secondly the wonderful arp synthesizer part that extends through the second half of the last verse is mixed way back at times. Both of these two changes are significantly different than the original mix and the (superior IMO) 5.1 mix from the SACD.
I love Greg Penny’s work and this is the only gripe I’ve ever had with him. It’s too bad it’s in regard to such an iconic song.

yes its a curious one.. last time i had a couple of Elton mates over we actually did a Rocket Man shootout! we put the new Atmos up against the 5.1 and an old LP and recalling everyone's responses the main observations/differences were more prominent vocals on the Atmos, more prominent synth, bass and guitar on the 5.1 and that the old LP wasn't too shabby after all but that it lacked the 3D feeling of either of the Surround renditions

yes its a curious one.. last time i had a couple of Elton mates over we actually did a Rocket Man shootout! we put the new Atmos up against the 5.1 and an old LP and recalling everyone's responses the main observations/differences were more prominent vocals on the Atmos, more prominent synth, bass and guitar on the 5.1 and that the old LP wasn't too shabby after all but that it lacked the 3D feeling of either of the Surround renditions
Glad to know I’m not crazy, Adam!
Btw, I’d love to go to an EJ mix shootout party…does *that* make me crazy? Probably. Lol! :)

You know, I wasn’t the biggest Elton fan back in the 70’s, but the surrounds and ATMOS mixes are simply stunning work and have really helped me appreciate the songs, the band and Elton to a much greater degree.

I find these recordings among the best of the best of rock multi channel recordings.

You know, I wasn’t the biggest Elton fan back in the 70’s, but the surrounds and ATMOS mixes are simply stunning work and have really helped me appreciate the songs, the band and Elton to a much greater degree.

I find these recordings among the best of the best of rock multi channel recordings.
Totally agree. The beauty of surround is that it gives me a whole new look at artists and albums that I disregarded when they first came out.

I’m with you on Atmos Rocket Man‘s weak synth. When I was a kid I used to love the last verses as the bass synth notes took over. You could feel it! Not in this new mix :-(. Many of the EJ Atmos mixes are a bit weak in bass as compared to the 5.1 versions. They are good, but could be better.

So, the bizarre approach to their product by the music industry continues. As a UK Rocket Club member I had an email yesterday advising of a new music/record department in store Selfridge store in London. It is opening on Friday and Elton has signed 100 copies of the 50th anniversary vinyl of Honky Château for purchase by the first 100 customers through the door. There is also a listening room.

To mark the occasion there is a draw for 25 lucky people to go on Wednesday evening for an exclusive presentation of the album in Dolby Atmos! This despite it having been available on streaming for a while and no physical version to buy.

What on earth are Universal attempting to market here? Vinyl, headphones, iPhones....? Can't be a blu-ray!

I have put my name in the hat in the hope of a) hearing this in Atmos and b) hoping to have a direct chat with someone from Universal!

So, the bizarre approach to their product by the music industry continues. As a UK Rocket Club member I had an email yesterday advising of a new music/record department in store Selfridge store in London. It is opening on Friday and Elton has signed 100 copies of the 50th anniversary vinyl of Honky Château for purchase by the first 100 customers through the door. There is also a listening room.

To mark the occasion there is a draw for 25 lucky people to go on Wednesday evening for an exclusive presentation of the album in Dolby Atmos! This despite it having been available on streaming for a while and no physical version to buy.

What on earth are Universal attempting to market here? Vinyl, headphones, iPhones....? Can't be a blu-ray!

I have put my name in the hat in the hope of a) hearing this in Atmos and b) hoping to have a direct chat with someone from Universal!
Universal is simply acting dispassionately in its self interest, not yours (or QQ’s). There’s nothing bizarre about this at all. A direct chat with someone isn’t going to change that from a label’s perspective, physical digital discs are a very small, shrinking market with higher costs and smaller margins, less controllable IP, and with inconsistent revenue streams.

I’d prefer a physical disc here too - I have thousands of them in different formats - but only because atmos streaming is lossy. However I don’t delude myself into thinking the label is acting irrationally.

It’s the music business, not the music philanthropy.

Back