Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary Box Set (3 CDs & 5.1 Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone who has requested a replacement BR disc from Universal received a response or an acknowledgment of their email? I sent them an email yesterday, along with a copy of my Amazon invoice, but thus far, they haven’t responded.

BTW, I received the boxed set yesterday and its a very impressive presentation of this seminal EJ album.

But in your critical evaluation of the BD~A of Madman, does it sound better [less compressed] than the original 5.1 SACD?
Why do you think it might be less compressed? Other than the LFE, the waveforms look exactly the same to me - with the same peak limiting (albeit a few dBs lower).

not wanting to stick the knife in (or the cutthroat razor!) but i ought to mention "Razor Face" on the new Blu-ray is not the extended version found on the Surround SACD.. yes, the razors shaved off the extra 2 minutes from the SACD, so the BD version's closer to the original Stereo length. a shame but it is what it is.

not wanting to stick the knife in (or the cutthroat razor!) but i ought to mention "Razor Face" on the new Blu-ray is not the extended version found on the Surround SACD.. yes, the razors shaved off the extra 2 minutes from the SACD, so the BD version's closer to the original Stereo length. a shame but it is what it is.
By the way - I almost proactively sold my SACD when I ordered this box set - based on your input I certainly am glad that I did not! 😱

By the way - I almost proactively sold my SACD when I ordered this box set - based on your input I certainly am glad that I did not! 😱

glad you didn't! 😅 i'm definitely keeping the SACD 👍 the box set is great in many many ways but absolutely you're doing the right thing hanging onto your SACD where the Surround's concerned! 🤗

You're not wrong: -
Capture.PNG

just a bit of fun for my fellow Madmen at QQ! ✌️🥳🤩🙃

5E0568E1-F266-4912-9B99-44FB3A7C3196.jpeg

clockwise from Top Right;
Dutch 1971 DJM LP (DJH-20420)
Australian Disctronics CD (circa 1989?) Reissue using mastering from West German DJM 80's CD (825 487-2),
U.K. Rocket 1995 Classic Years CD w/Gus' Remaster (528-161-2),
Japanese Papersleeve 2001 CD with Gus' 1995 Remaster (UICY-9104),
U.S. 2004 Hybrid MultiCh SACD (B0003610-36),
"Tumbleweed Collection" (1998 Scorpio label Silver-pressed Boot w/2 Madman tracks from OGWT TV show & Rock Me When He's Gone Live at The Budokan),
"Indian Sunset - New York 1970 + Demo's" (1997 Silver-pressed European Boot, comprising the remaining tracks from 17-11-70, including Indian Sunset Live at WABC-FM NY + demos),
"Madman Across The Water - The Demos" (no label, no cat. info., 5 track CDR w/demos of Rock Me When He's Gone, Levon, Madman.., Rotten Peaches, Goodbye),
Portuguese DJM MoviePlay 1980 LP reissue (M.M.-8015),
2022 CD/BD Anniversary Edition.

just a bit of fun for my fellow Madmen at QQ! ✌🥳🤩🙃

View attachment 80204

Australian Disctronics CD (circa 1989?) Reissue using mastering from West German DJM 80's CD (825 487-2),
"Tumbleweed Collection" (1998 Scorpio label Silver-pressed Boot w/2 Madman tracks from OGWT TV show & Rock Me When He's Gone Live at The Budokan),
"Indian Sunset - New York 1970 + Demo's" (1997 Silver-pressed European Boot, comprising the remaining tracks from 17-11-70, including Indian Sunset Live at WABC-FM NY + demos),
"Madman Across The Water - The Demos" (no label, no cat. info., 5 track CDR w/demos of Rock Me When He's Gone, Levon, Madman.., Rotten Peaches, Goodbye),

Damn fred thats a hellova lot of Madman :)

just a bit of fun for my fellow Madmen at QQ! ✌🥳🤩🙃

View attachment 80204

You forgot to include your MADMAN pillow! But you can always lay your head ... on my shoulder....LOL!

Watched all the video yesterday and listened to the CDs today. All this bonus content is a real treat if you're a fan of the album. Loved listening to the demos and will take whatever live performances I can get from the original Elton/Dee/Nigel trio. There were a couple of questionable editing choices. I believe someone already mentioned that "Indian Sunset" from the 17/11/70 show got truncated. Why would they do this? The complete performance was released on the RSD vinyl a few years back so they must have the full master tape. Also, on the live CD from 11/11/71 they remove most of the applause. Again, why? They didn't do this for the video of the same performance. These are minor quibbles though, it truly was a treat to hear all of these performances from the vault. I only got three songs into the Blu-ray 5.1 before I got interrupted. I did notice the intro to "Razor Face" got clipped a little bit. But, I've always got the perfect SACD so no huge loss. Package is gorgeous. Several of Elton's early albums had extravagant packaging. Nice to have it reproduced in a larger-than-CD size. Hope they do the same for Captain Fantastic. Although, not until they release the missing 5.1's first! Hopefully this is the start of a 50th anniversary series. If so, we could be getting Don't Shoot Me in a couple of years. (Please Universal, don't forget the hi-res!)

Watched all the video yesterday and listened to the CDs today. All this bonus content is a real treat if you're a fan of the album. Loved listening to the demos and will take whatever live performances I can get from the original Elton/Dee/Nigel trio. There were a couple of questionable editing choices. I believe someone already mentioned that "Indian Sunset" from the 17/11/70 show got truncated. Why would they do this? The complete performance was released on the RSD vinyl a few years back so they must have the full master tape. Also, on the live CD from 11/11/71 they remove most of the applause. Again, why? They didn't do this for the video of the same performance. These are minor quibbles though, it truly was a treat to hear all of these performances from the vault. I only got three songs into the Blu-ray 5.1 before I got interrupted. I did notice the intro to "Razor Face" got clipped a little bit. But, I've always got the perfect SACD so no huge loss. Package is gorgeous. Several of Elton's early albums had extravagant packaging. Nice to have it reproduced in a larger-than-CD size. Hope they do the same for Captain Fantastic. Although, not until they release the missing 5.1's first! Hopefully this is the start of a 50th anniversary series. If so, we could be getting Don't Shoot Me in a couple of years. (Please Universal, don't forget the hi-res!)

Don't Shoot Me...'s 50th anniversary is as soon as next January (and a little throwaway he did later in '73 by the name of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road will also have its 50th at the end of next year..!) but before all that this is the very year Honky Chateau turns 50..!! please please (oh please! as the song goes!) lets have that in Lossless 5.1 with the Royal Festival Hall concert video on Blu-ray plus whatever extras they can unearth (not many/any i can think of but who knows what's in the vault!!!🤞🥳🙏 🐈💘

Has anyone who has requested a replacement BR disc from Universal received a response or an acknowledgment of their email? I sent them an email yesterday, along with a copy of my Amazon invoice, but thus far, they haven’t responded.

BTW, I received the boxed set yesterday and its a very impressive presentation of this seminal EJ album.

i just got a reply;

Hello

Thanks for contacting us and, again, many apologies! We will start to courier the replacement Blu-Rays in early July.

Meanwhile, would you be so kind as to email us a contact telephone number please, as this is now required by International Customs – many thanks!

Very best wishes

Janice

On behalf of UMG Operations Support

i just got a reply;

Hello

Thanks for contacting us and, again, many apologies! We will start to courier the replacement Blu-Rays in early July.

Meanwhile, would you be so kind as to email us a contact telephone number please, as this is now required by International Customs – many thanks!

Very best wishes

Janice

I got the exact same email…but aren’t you in the U.K.?
I was assuming they were being sent from there…maybe they are pressed elsewhere? 🤔

Last edited:
i just got a reply;

Hello

Very best wishes

Janice

I just received the exact same reply this morning!

Back