Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary Box Set (3 CDs & 5.1 Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this'll Cushion the blow until the replacement Blu-ray's turn up.. πŸ‘ΌπŸ˜‹

6E93936D-39DF-4FE9-A07B-1A31FAAFAF4C.jpeg

8B132238-4190-4F2E-9B53-7F541F905327.jpeg

That pillow really tied the room together.
well i don't think Architectural Digest is going to be beating down the door to do a feature! πŸ˜‚

everything's temporary in here since i had to move (again πŸ˜… ) due to the pandemic.

hopefully i will be more settled before too long and will have things better setup, although this move has made me really think about getting rid of a lot of stuff because i've lived without thousands of items since covid hit; DVDs, BDs, video games & consoles, LPs, 45s, SACDs (mainly the Stereo ones it has to be said), DualDiscs, DVD-A's (mostly Silverline!), 8-tracks (Quad and Stereo), cassettes, LaserDiscs, books, magazines, memorabilia, clothes, art, furniture, etc., etc.. are all tucked away and honestly i've barely missed any of it. hmm.. maybe this Madman Cushion's gonna do more than just make the couch cosy! πŸ˜‚πŸ€”

well i don't think Architectural Digest is going to be beating down the door to do a feature! πŸ˜‚

everything's temporary in here since i had to move (again πŸ˜… ) due to the pandemic.

hopefully i will be more settled before too long and will have things better setup, although this move has made me really think about getting rid of a lot of stuff because i've lived without thousands of items since covid hit; DVDs, BDs, video games & consoles, LPs, 45s, SACDs (mainly the Stereo ones it has to be said), DualDiscs, DVD-A's (mostly Silverline!), 8-tracks (Quad and Stereo), cassettes, LaserDiscs, books, magazines, memorabilia, clothes, art, furniture, etc., etc.. are all tucked away and honestly i've barely missed any of it. hmm.. maybe this Madman Cushion's gonna do more than just make the couch cosy! πŸ˜‚πŸ€”
Actually, that was a joke. It's a recurring line from the movie "The Big Lebowski" (although in the movie it was a rug not pillow), but you hit on a topic that probably plagues most of us on this forum... hoarding. At least we hoard useful items in that they serve a purpose, we can listen to them. Which reminds me of another line from another movie, "The things you own end up owning you." If that is true, I am definitely not a free man.

Actually, that was a joke. It's a recurring line from the movie "The Big Lebowski" (although in the movie it was a rug not pillow), but you hit on a topic that probably plagues most of us on this forum... hoarding. At least we hoard useful items in that they serve a purpose, we can listen to them. Which reminds me of another line from another movie, "The things you own end up owning you." If that is true, I am definitely not a free man.

ah! πŸ˜‚
"i've seen that movie too" but i don't remember that bit! πŸ˜‚

I don't hoard I 'curate' a collection! :ROFLMAO:

I bought this set as a birthday present for a friend, then requested that the replacement Blu-ray be sent directly to him. They did just that a while back and he's been happy with it...but a couple days ago they sent him ANOTHER copy of the Blu-ray!

We're assuming the second copy is identical because I can't remember reading any complaints at all about the first replacement. Did anyone else get a surprise?

I bought this set as a birthday present for a friend, then requested that the replacement Blu-ray be sent directly to him. They did just that a while back and he's been happy with it...but a couple days ago they sent him ANOTHER copy of the Blu-ray!

We're assuming the second copy is identical because I can't remember reading any complaints at all about the first replacement. Did anyone else get a surprise?
Seems like he should pay it forward - or would that be backward? - to you!

A record company sharing the love. How nice! We need more of that.

I believe this blu-ray has the same 2004 5.1 mix on the SACD (per discogs)? No additional surround mixes?

I believe this blu-ray has the same 2004 5.1 mix on the SACD (per discogs)? No additional surround mixes?
Correct, but this blu-ray also includes the 5.1 mix of the alternate version of Madman Across The Water featuring Mick Ronson, which originally was a bonus track on the Tumbleweed Connection SACD.

Is that only one song?
Yes, it is only one song, and strangely enough it is placed, in running order, before the original album starts up with Tiny Dancer. I would have preferred if the Ronson version of the title track was found under a dedicated menu option - it has nothing to do with the original album. FWIW I see this version more as a fun gimmick side note and much prefer the version on the proper album.

Is the blu ray actually clipped? The wavs look flat at the top but that is often the case with compression when zoomed out to track level. Sure, it shows there is some compression, which would fit in with your "artistic" comment, but actual clipping would be naughty. (Maybe I am using 'brickwalling' incorrectly - I was thinking it meant 'cannot go past this level, as if there is a brick wall there', which could include compression without clipping.)
I'm just seeing this post. That looks like digital peak limiting to me. It's too hard for vintage analog (presumably) compression (although I don't doubt some analog compression was used in the mixing).

While compression and limiting are related, they're not the same. Simply put, compression make the loud quieter and the quiets louder. It squeezes both ends. Limiting just makes the loud's, i.e the peaks, quieter. In this case, it simply looks like the peaks were limited (digitally which isn't as "soft" as analog) because they quieter sections are appreciably quieter than the louder sections (they would look more similar if compressed). But the limiting isn't TOO bad for modern mastering. Maybe 3-4 dBs shaved off the peaks. Unnecessary IMO, but most people don't understand that the brain perceives louder as "better" even when it isn't, so...louder it is.

just ordered it also. Seller is Damien Exports. 69 percent approval rating. Pretty much assured this will be a bust
LOL... didn't even think to check. I've gotten to the point where I (wrongly) expect anything on Amazon to be 99% reliable. Hopefully the worst case is, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Edit: Maybe they're hot... LOL

LOL... didn't even think to check. I've gotten to the point where I (wrongly) expect anything on Amazon to be 99% reliable. Hopefully the worst case is, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Edit: Maybe they're hot... LOL
Good luck. Hopefully it will be the deluxe box and not just the 2 CD version.

Back